Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

daily_gifdump_174_06.gif?w=240&h=320

"well I can nearly reach it"
    "will I get a book for you to stand on?"
    "nah its good I can probably-hang on-hang, nnngg-shiiiiiiit!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I've been watching this series on youtube, it's a modern adaptation of Pride and Prejudice told through vlogs. So funny!

I've been meaning to watch that actually.

Heard it the sessions at Vidcon were very popular. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Probably all...won't know until August

*cries*
    Let me know what you are teaching - I might be able to get some JC science lesson plans and schemes of work for you, that might help cut down on some of the prep work, and if you want advice at any time, or need someone to vent at because of a bad day etc, I'll be on the end of a PM
    Acoshla wrote: »
    Boyfriend not here, bed already stripped and everything in the wash that can go in there. I must eat and drink alright, getting sick of these sinusy headaches all the time.

Try taking nurofen and paracetamol together if you can to try and kill the pain - or else maybe sinutabs or something like it - I've had a dull ache in my head pretty much since Sunday with sinusy headaches! Hope your head eases soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Why is this grant form so complicated!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

You'd think so!

It can actually be a bad thing sometimes, in that people might feel so well that they stop taking the meds they need. Or they might feel slightly invincible and be more likely to take risks.

Always a down side!

Awhh dang! Didn't really think of it like that! Wish I had something to make me feel more awake atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Try taking nurofen and paracetamol together if you can to try and kill the pain - or else maybe sinutabs or something like it - I've had a dull ache in my head pretty much since Sunday with sinusy headaches! Hope your head eases soon!

Thanks, too late to get to chemist to get sinutab but might get some tomorrow, getting really sick of the humidity and the headaches now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thanks, too late to get to chemist to get sinutab but might get some tomorrow, getting really sick of the humidity and the headaches now.

If you are prone to sinus problems and you don't want to have to always be taking loads of painkillers, would you try a Neti Pot? I have friends that swear by them for blocked sinuses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Break it down into easily digestible chunks and then kill everything. Everything.
    What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

You'd think so!

It can actually be a bad thing sometimes, in that people might feel so well that they stop taking the meds they need. Or they might feel slightly invincible and be more likely to take risks.

Always a down side!
    Awhh dang! Didn't really think of it like that! Wish I had something to make me feel more awake atm

Didn't occur to me either. :o

Just really jumps out as an initial wtf moment when you see it listed on something like steroids.

~~~

But having looked into it briefly, it's actually a very important rare one and there's a good few meds associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/sevenkittens

ahhh the webcam kittehs are sleepin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ugh Ivy that thing looks gross, I've seen it before but wasn't prepared that time ha. I'm not usually prone to sinus problems more than a few times a year, but it's steadily getting worse. I broke my nose when I was 12 and the top of it is veeeeery narrow and I was told I could have problems with it later on, my fear that something awful is happening it is putting me in denial, sinus problems, what sinus problems?!

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »

I believe they make them complicated so that people end up giving up on filling them in tbh! they make them so ridiculously hard, and then expect people not to make mistakes - as well as that, they could do with putting more people in the offices that process them, especially in Cork anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Are you doing the one on studentfinance.ie or a different one? I just applied for my grant today so if it's the regular student grant, I could probably help if you're stuck. :)

krudler wrote: »
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/sevenkittens

ahhh the webcam kittehs are sleepin

Awhhh - missed seeing the kittens we had, was planning to go the next day to have a look and they were gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

bluewolf wrote: »
    jane we went through this yesterday

we know you cant get the grant with btea

but you CAN get the grant people to pay your fees and get the BTEA with it

:confused:
    The first link I posted underlines that your fees will be paid by the grant people while you are on BTEA.

Too many posts to read through but if you are living at home you can't get the BTEA and any grant of any sort. You are only entitled to the BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Let me know what you are teaching - I might be able to get some JC science lesson plans and schemes of work for you, that might help cut down on some of the prep work, and if you want advice at any time, or need someone to vent at because of a bad day etc, I'll be on the end of a PM

That would be awesome <3

Like, I don't wanna be bothering people in my class when it doesn't go well, they have their own stuff to do. And you never really wanna tell anyone you're not doing well =/

Nurofen and paracetamol work as well for me - but when you go to the chemist, ask them what would they think is best, they might saw a different tablet, or one for a hayfever allergy as well, that might work

That would be awesome <3

Like, I don't wanna be bothering people in my class when it doesn't go well, they have their own stuff to do. And you never really wanna tell anyone you're not doing well =/

I'll warm you now, its a tough time, but its not too bad if you are only doing it for half a year. Best thing is to be prepared, do the work as you go along, don't smile at the kids for two months, set out your behaviour expectations early and you'll be grand. Don't be afraid to ask for help, or to admit that things are not going well. You are not expected to be perfect inside in the classroom - and you will have some bad days where you just have to throw the lesson plan out of the window five minutes into the class, but if you can adapt that class and think on your feet, its the sign of a good teacher!

I got so bad at one stage I was thinking about dropping out of the course and doing something very very stupid indeed, had some very scary thoughts because I didn't talk to anyone about how I was feeling and the pressure I was under - don't make the same mistake I made!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'll warm you now, its a tough time, but its not too bad if you are only doing it for half a year. Best thing is to be prepared, do the work as you go along, don't smile at the kids for two months, set out your behaviour expectations early and you'll be grand. Don't be afraid to ask for help, or to admit that things are not going well. You are not expected to be perfect inside in the classroom - and you will have some bad days where you just have to throw the lesson plan out of the window five minutes into the class, but if you can adapt that class and think on your feet, its the sign of a good teacher!

I got so bad at one stage I was thinking about dropping out of the course and doing something very very stupid indeed, had some very scary thoughts because I didn't talk to anyone about how I was feeling and the pressure I was under - don't make the same mistake I made!

During my first round (Term 2, 2011) I'm pretty sure at least once a day I wanted to cry. Main reason was one of my tutors treated me like ****, two of my co-operating teachers didn't really care and I was in a tough school. If it wasn't for my 3rd co-operating teacher, I'm pretty sure I would have walked out. Longest 6 weeks of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Albection wrote: »
    I've been meaning to watch that actually.

Heard it the sessions at Vidcon were very popular. :D
    They weren't even scheduled for a panel but did one last-minute that was madness.

*hesitant*

DFTBA?

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    Are you doing the one on studentfinance.ie or a different one? I just applied for my grant today so if it's the regular student grant, I could probably help if you're stuck. :)

Yep, the one on studentfinance.ie. I worked for about maybe 10 days in total last year and I have no idea how much I got for it so now I have to go looking for bank statements and sh*te like that.. My dad retired in the middle of last year due to illness so I need to go looking for payslips and stuff for him as well. :rolleyes:
    Pembily wrote: »
    Too many posts to read through but if you are living at home you can't get the BTEA and any grant of any sort. You are only entitled to the BTEA.

If that's true I'm screwed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Yep, the one on studentfinance.ie. I worked for about maybe 10 days in total last year and I have no idea how much I got for it so now I have to go looking for bank statements and sh*te like that.. My dad retired in the middle of last year due to illness so I need to go looking for payslips and stuff for him as well. :rolleyes:

If that's true I'm screwed. :(

If you are getting BTEA (Back to Education Allowance aka the dole while in college) you can't get a full-grant at all and if you are living at home then you can't get the fees paid back as part of the grant either.

There are some ways around it but...

During my first round (Term 2, 2011) I'm pretty sure at least once a day I wanted to cry. Main reason was one of my tutors treated me like ****, two of my co-operating teachers didn't really care and I was in a tough school. If it wasn't for my 3rd co-operating teacher, I'm pretty sure I would have walked out. Longest 6 weeks of my life.

Its disgraceful when tutors don't support you - my friend had one like that this year, she ended up in tears after a session we had on a Friday, because her support teacher had told her do the class in a certain way, and my friend did, tutor came to see her and criticised her work, and the support teacher turned around to my friend, in front of the tutor and said that she should have done it that way, lying and saying that she, the support teacher, had suggested to do it that way. Its horrible when that goes on to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Awhh dang! Didn't really think of it like that!
    Albection wrote: »
    Didn't occur to me either. :o

Heh. That's what putting my degree to use looks like :p

If you are getting BTEA (Back to Education Allowance aka the dole while in college) you can't get a full-grant at all and if you are living at home then you can't get the fees paid back as part of the grant either.

Sh*t. College will be a no go then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

No need to despair just yet. My bf was living at home with his dad when he went back to college in 2009 and got both the BTEA and the grant. He had been on social welfare for about a year prior to that. His dad was receiving a pension too. So just don't panic yet, it's not absolute. Everybody's circumstances are different and are taken into consideration. Fire ahead with your applications, at the end of the day, all they can do is say no, it's still worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

If you haven't done so already, ring Citizens Information. They know everything and are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I'm in college, living at home, and I got a grant last year and had my fees paid. I'm not a mature student though and I'm an undergrad so maybe it's different?

I've never heard about not getting fees paid if you live at home, sounds a bit ridiculous tbh.

No need to despair just yet. My bf was living at home with his dad when he went back to college in 2009 and got both the BTEA and the grant. He had been on social welfare for about a year prior to that. His dad was receiving a pension too. So just don't panic yet, it's not absolute. Everybody's circumstances are different and are taken into consideration. Fire ahead with your applications, at the end of the day, all they can do is say no, it's still worth trying.

I've been looking on welfare.ie about BTEA and grants etc. and I can't find anything about not getting your fees paid if you're still living at home. I'm going ahead with the applications, have the BTEA one filled out and I'm waiting for figures from Dad's work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

+1.
    I've been looking on welfare.ie about BTEA and grants etc. and I can't find anything about not getting your fees paid if you're still living at home. I'm going ahead with the applications, have the BTEA one filled out and I'm waiting for figures from Dad's work etc.
    Definitely definitely go ahead and apply Jane, as Pixiebean says, all they can say is no.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement