Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I am antsy for the Olympics to start. I have my viewing scheduled all planned :D

<does cartwheels around living room>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Jessibelle wrote: »
    I think you don't get your fees paid if you're going to something at an equivalent level (e.g Level 8 to another level 8), however Jane's progressing from a level 7 to 8 so technically she's still covered by the free fees scheme. The grants office will only pay the student registration fee (between 2000 -2500) if you qualify for btea, which as Jane left education and is returning to she may qualify for. Also I know some who, when turned down appealed it with the Community Welfare Officer and were subsequently granted it. No harm applying sure and then seeing where that leaves you :)

If you have done (or did more than 6months) a level 7 before you will have to pay to do another level 7. If you have done a level 8 (or more than 6 months) you will have to pay to do a level 8.

You only get a grant towards registration fees as a BTEA student under certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Jessibelle wrote: »
    I think you don't get your fees paid if you're going to something at an equivalent level (e.g Level 8 to another level 8), however Jane's progressing from a level 7 to 8 so technically she's still covered by the free fees scheme. The grants office will only pay the student registration fee (between 2000 -2500) if you qualify for btea, which as Jane left education and is returning to she may qualify for. Also I know some who, when turned down appealed it with the Community Welfare Officer and were subsequently granted it. No harm applying sure and then seeing where that leaves you :)

Yep, I'm going from level 7 to level 8. As far as I can see I am eligible for BTEA because I'm going to be doing a HETAC approved course and I've been getting Job Seekers Allowance for over 9 months.
    Pembily wrote: »
    If you have done (or did more than 6months) a level 7 before you will have to pay to do another level 7. If you have done a level 8 (or more than 6 months) you will have to pay to do a level 8.

You only get a grant towards registration fees as a BTEA student under certain circumstances.

The way I'm understanding it is you can't get a maintenance grant and BTEA at the same time but you can get BTEA and a fee grant at the same time. I could be wrong though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You obviously don't watch Channel 4, seems to be on there the whole time :D

I actually watch Channel4 quite a good bit, I just don't watch that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm going from level 7 to level 8. As far as I can see I am eligible for BTEA because I'm going to be doing a HETAC approved course and I've been getting Job Seekers Allowance for over 9 months.

The way I'm understanding it is you can't get a maintenance grant and BTEA at the same time but you can get BTEA and a fee grant at the same time. I could be wrong though..

I've had a look myself just now Jane and I think that's right too. Sure feck it, apply, apply for anything you can and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »

Nah, you can get a maintenance grant and BTEA at the same time. Or at least you could up until very recently. Not sure if that's changed in the most recent budget or not. The rate of the grant you get will depend on income, though it has come down in the last few budgets.

Because we have free fees for (first time) undergrads, your fees are automatically paid. Registration fees (€2000-€2500 for me) are also paid automatically if you're receiving the grant, and that's separate from the maintenance grant. You'll probably have to pay a student levy/student contribution (whatever they call it in the college you've applied to), in my case that was €224 per year. That's the only 'fee' that's not covered by welfare or grant payments. There's the Cost of Education which automatically comes with BTEA, which is now €300 I think, it used to be €500, and that's intended to cover the costs of books etc (in my case I needed nearly all of it - textbooks are stupidly expensive!)

There's so many different payments and things, it's very confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

WinterSong wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)

I used to be almostnever (in a past life :P), and I'm really sorry if anyone was worried when I closed my old account! I didn't realise anyone would notice until I set up a new one. :o

Really hope you can get everything sorted out for college Jane, it's a bit of a mess really but if it works out for you in the end it'll all be well worth it :)

Hope you're all well and enjoying the marginally improved weather!

Yay, you're back! :D

Nah, you can get a maintenance grant and BTEA at the same time. Or at least you could up until very recently. Not sure if that's changed in the most recent budget or not. The rate of the grant you get will depend on income, though it has come down in the last few budgets.

Because we have free fees for (first time) undergrads, your fees are automatically paid. Registration fees (€2000-€2500 for me) are also paid automatically if you're receiving the grant, and that's separate from the maintenance grant. You'll probably have to pay a student levy/student contribution (whatever they call it in the college you've applied to), in my case that was €224 per year. That's the only 'fee' that's not covered by welfare or grant payments. There's the Cost of Education which automatically comes with BTEA, which is now €300 I think, it used to be €500, and that's intended to cover the costs of books etc (in my case I needed nearly all of it - textbooks are stupidly expensive!)

There's so many different payments and things, it's very confusing!

As far as I'm aware that's the part that's changed - you can't get a maintenance grant and BTEA at the same time. The student contribution fee is €2,250 in Athlone IT. As far as I can make out as well, I don't pay tuition fees because I'm going from a level 7 to a level 8 and that's deemed to be progression. It is actually ridiculously confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Haven't been on much lately. Since I finished college I've had a hate relationship with the laptop! Usually only switch it on for downloads as of late.

Anyway, thought I'd come on to say I GOT MY DEGREE :D since posting on TLL kept me sane for the last couple of months of college, thought ye might like to know. It's still sinking in, but I'm delighted!

*huff* i am the fastest walker in the universe ever *puff* and after all that the bus is late! *collapses*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Question: As a leaving present from work, I was given a One4All voucher. Do I take the sensible option and buy more running shoes with it, or do I have a lingerie splurge?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

mariebeth wrote: »
    Haven't been on much lately. Since I finished college I've had a hate relationship with the laptop! Usually only switch it on for downloads as of late.

Anyway, thought I'd come on to say I GOT MY DEGREE :D since posting on TLL kept me sane for the last couple of months of college, thought ye might like to know. It's still sinking in, but I'm delighted!

Whoo, congrats!!!!
    Question: As a leaving present from work, I was given a One4All voucher. Do I take the sensible option and buy more running shoes with it, or do I have a lingerie splurge?

I'd be going for the running shoes, but thats just me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Lingerie splurge be my vote, you know you'll buy the runners at some point anyway.

mariebeth wrote: »

Congratulations! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

lingerie splurge...but don't listen to the person reading 50 shades of grey at the moment :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Runners. They tend to stay on longer. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I need new sandals. The ones I paid €15 for in Dunnes are already getting holes in them and I haven't even had them 2 months. I wear out shoes like you won't believe! Can anyone recommend a decntly priced set of shoes for walking that won't wear out too fast? I'd love another pair of MBTs but the last pair I had wore out after less than a year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You can get MBT's re-soled for about €40

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

stressful day :(

The grant thing is really confusing. I only applied for the registration fee grant and got that for 1st year last year. I had no idea there were other maintainance grants...I was wondering why friends of mine (who lived at home) were been given an extra grand or two!

I don't know if I should complete my grant renewal form or fill in a new one for people who change course. I might not *get* the other course so there is a high possibility that I'll end up having to just continue with the one I'm in, which means I can't not fill that in? I hate leaving everything so late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ah RQ its a bit early to be getting dirty!:p

Lucyfur wrote: »
    You can get MBT's re-soled for about €40

WHAT?! Why did I not know this 6 years ago?! *laments loss of shoes* Damnit! I might go back to the chemist in the Pavillions and see if they'll let me pay for a new pair on a weekly basis. Might buy myself a new pair as a reward for sticking to my diet. Hope the prices have gone down since they first came out. I paid close to €210 for my first pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Lingerie splurge :D Getting new bras is always such a boost, in a few different ways!

Lingerie splurge :D Getting new bras is always such a boost, in a few different ways!

Tell me about it :D

I already bought one at the weekend in Bramora, got re-fitted into a rather difficult to find size too so I don't get too many cheap options - hence possibly wanting to treat myself now :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Hey everyone :)

I used to be almostnever (in a past life :P), and I'm really sorry if anyone was worried when I closed my old account! I didn't realise anyone would notice until I set up a new one. :o

Welcome back! You were missed :D

BUY ALL THE KNICKERS!!

ah RQ its a bit early to be getting dirty!:p

Never too early to be getting dirty, where do you think you're posting ;)

That's why I'd buy the lingerie.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

McChubbin wrote: »
    WHAT?! Why did I not know this 6 years ago?! *laments loss of shoes* Damnit! I might go back to the chemist in the Pavillions and see if they'll let me pay for a new pair on a weekly basis. Might buy myself a new pair as a reward for sticking to my diet. Hope the prices have gone down since they first came out. I paid close to €210 for my first pair.

http://www.mbtshoerepair.com/

I paid the same for my first pair. I'm sure they're come down a bit

Welp, going to bed now. Up at 10 so I don't miss my midday appointment with the dentist. Hopefully I won't get this guy:

• Advertisement

Never too early to be getting dirty, where do you think you're posting ;)

Yeah, you're right there :p

Nearly asleep here already - heat is unreal, and I'm thinking I may have lost my sunglasses, gonna hunt around again for them, but there is a possibility I left them in the car at home. Really hope so!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement