Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Polloloca wrote: »
    In college I lived on special k, (no milk) rice curry sauce pasta cheese and mushrooms. And copious amounts of alcohol, which in turn meant gaviscon became my bff. Oh and iron tablets, due to my frightful diet.

You'll be fine Jane. It'll be good for you, give you some independence. There's no point in putting scary things on the back burner, grab it, shake it and tell it to eff off!

Actually that would be a cheap meal - rice is cheap, chicken fillets are cheap and those sachets of curry are cheap - might not be great but it would be a meal. :)

Jeez I'm all excited now. Hope this all works out for me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

when did coco_lola close her account?? :(

I think I remember her saying that she felt she was losing her anonymity on here. Perhaps she'll open a new account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Actually that would be a cheap meal - rice is cheap, chicken fillets are cheap and those sachets of curry are cheap - might not be great but it would be a meal. :)

quick and easy! The pasta was quite nice (and easy!) too. Basically chop up your chicken fillet, toss it into boiling water, toss in the penne pasta after a few minutes, some onion, when it's almost done (ie. 5 mins time haha) add the mushrooms, and then if you liked you could add some tinned tomato and some cheese after you've drained the water and just some salad on the side. Aldi and dunnes do a special offer on a certain type of veg every few weeks I think, it's maybe 49c or 79c so you could plan ur meals around what veg you could buy cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Jane honestly buy a student cookbook then. My sister got me one when I was about 12 to start me cooking, I think it was called beyond baked beans. I can't stress how much money it will save you, in my anti nutrition first year in college I used to live on some type of tesco reduced veg, pasta and dolmio sauce.... To think of the extra fiver a week i'd have had for cider if I'd learned then how to make sauce from tinned tomatoes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Jeez I'm all excited now. Hope this all works out for me. :o
    o

Jane all you need to do is be brave....
    And bravery isnt acting in the absence of fear, it's acting in spite of it :) So put yourself first for once.

• Advertisement

quick and easy! The pasta was quite nice (and easy!) too. Basically chop up your chicken fillet, toss it into boiling water, toss in the penne pasta after a few minutes, some onion, when it's almost done (ie. 5 mins time haha) add the mushrooms, and then if you liked you could add some tinned tomato and some cheese after you've drained the water and just some salad on the side. Aldi and dunnes do a special offer on a certain type of veg every few weeks I think, it's maybe 49c or 79c so you could plan ur meals around what veg you could buy cheaply.
    pampootie wrote: »
    Jane honestly buy a student cookbook then. My sister got me one when I was about 12 to start me cooking, I think it was called beyond baked beans. I can't stress how much money it will save you, in my anti nutrition first year in college I used to live on some type of tesco reduced veg, pasta and dolmio sauce.... To think of the extra fiver a week i'd have had for cider if I'd learned then how to make sauce from tinned tomatoes :)

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. :D

I'm actually quite excited now, it'll be the first time I'll have some real independence tbh. Last time I was in digs and I didn't have do cook for myself at all. I was 19 when I started first year and it was a "condition", i.e. don't stay in digs = no college and I really regret it. The woman I stayed with was brilliant, don't get me wrong, she was so good to me but I feel like I missed out on a lot because of where I had to stay.

Edit: Thanks to you too Sarah, you replied when I did so just saw your post. :)

The woman I stayed with was brilliant, don't get me wrong, she was so good to me but I feel like I missed out on a lot because of where I had to stay

You've mentioned her before, if you asked her for advice she'd only be too happy to help you out :)

I know in here we can seem tough...but we only want you to do want we know you're capable of. Who's gonna believe in you if you don't believe in yourself <3

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    You've mentioned her before, if you asked her for advice she'd only be too happy to help you out :)

I know in here we can seem tough...but we only want you to do want we know you're capable of. Who's gonna believe in you if you don't believe in yourself <3

Yeah I could ask her, she'd only be too happy to help.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I really do appreciate it.

Thinking about cancelling my internet to save money. It's 20 a month and most of the apartments/rooms I've looked at have internet and the college has Wifi so no real point in me having it, at least not for the college year.

Jane, I lived on 50 euro a week when I first went to college back in 2006 and that included a night out! :pac: You can eat cheaply if you want to, and when I say cheaply, I don't mean bad! I tended to make meals like chili, curry etc., 'cause you can make 'em in big batches and freeze what you don't eat. I stocked up when I saw supermarkets had things on special offer that I liked/used a lot and bought loads of Tesco Value and own brand. It's actually really fun. I am DYING to move out again!

I'm so excited for this to happen for you 'cause I know sometimes you can be a little down about how things are now and I genuinely would be happy to see you happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

After all my moaning about still being pregnant,
    I never actually realised I would, Infact go into labor.
    Up now with bad period pains and am all like Uh oh!

• Advertisement

javagal wrote: »

Ooooooooh! So exciting! Good luck :)

@Novella - thank you! That post made me well up a little bit, I really appreciate you taking the time to write it. :) I really think I could do it. My brother could be coming with me so that could make things easier. I'm definitely not hard on money and he isn't either so it's possible. :)

@Novella - thank you! That post made me well up a little bit, I really appreciate you taking the time to write it. :) I really think I could do it. My brother could be coming with me so that could make things easier. I'm definitely not hard on money and he isn't either so it's possible. :)

Oh no problem, I'm in work anyway! You're just helping to ease my boredom so it's nothing :)

It is totally possible. Think of how fun it could be! Sometimes I just day-dream about moving out 'cause it's so great. I browse daft.ie longingly! :pac:

@Novella - I've been looking at apartments and rooms in houses. It's actually a lot less expensive than I thought. It would be so great not to have to answer to or rely on anyone though. :)

@javagal - that's so exciting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Oh my God Java, this is so exciting! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Oh my God Java, this is so exciting! Good luck.

Lol, it could be nothing because I don't know how it's supposed to feel! So gonna try sleep and see if it wakes me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Best of luck Javagirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Best of luck Java Girl, hopefully Baby Coffeebean won't delay too much longer...

Ended up having a rather lovely girly sleepover tonight, went for coffee with a friend and her guy friend after work, then for a walk with another friend (loving how much walking I'm doing these days; 4km this evening alone with that), and then coffee friend came back to stay in mine cos her manfriend(not the one who went for coffee with us) was being an ass so I suggested a girly sleepover. I don't get to see her much cos I'm in cork and she's in waterford (the manfriend is in cork too), so its nice to have girly time, even if we do spend it giving out about men :P

Now wired awake... And its nearly sunrise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Good Luck Java, hope it's all over quickly x

Just realised I've been boiling nothing but water the last 10 minutes as I forgot to put eggs in the bloody pot. Tired.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Good Luck Java, hope it's all over quickly x

Just realised I've been boiling nothing but water the last 10 minutes as I forgot to put eggs in the bloody pot. Tired.

Haha sorry that made me laugh :-D

Sleepy Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Roads are dead. Bike shed is empty. Did I miss a day off today that no one reminded me about?

Back in after two days off to discover the other woman has been off sick too, only she wasn't stupid enough to come in today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Jane porridge with fruit is a great cheap breakfast, and beans on wholegrain toast with a bit of grated cheese kept me going through college. I used to live on €75 a week, which included €25 bus ticket, at least 2 nights out and all meals. I used to bring ham, tomato and cheese sandwiches to college for lunch, Lidl do a really tasty ham that comes in huge slices and is pretty cheap, they also do really cheap yoghurts, rice is a fraction of the price in Aldi compared to Tesco etc, and Tesco do 3 for €9 on chicken, fish, meat every week. Buy special offers and freeze them, freeze almost everything if possible. If you have any questions or want any advice on cheap food shopping feel free to pm me, I'm a master of it :)

Also MABS do a free cheap meals cookbook, think they have a student one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

javagal wrote: »
    Oh YAY! So delighted it's finally started for you. (I know how you feel, I remember feeling like pancake would actually just stay in there forever, he seemed so comfortable!).

Jane, best of luck for college.

I agree with all the food advice you've been given, also something I find helps is dried herbs! Bit of chicken or tuna, onion, tinned tomato and some basil = cheap noms!

Couscous is another cheap carb. A box of couscous (500g) costs less than 2 euros, and you just need one espresso cupful for a portion! Really quick to prepare too.

jane, i'm really happy to hear all this, you'll do great :)

yea bringing in your own lunch and cooking all the things from scratch and you'll be healthy and not broke

morning all, giant bowl of porridge, "that's a fine bowl of porridge" said my workmate... yes, i got a bit carried away...
    Nutrient deficiencies caused by low-carb diets may lead to your aching legs. Foods high in potassium but which also have a high carbohydrate count include bananas, potatoes, citrus fruits and citrus juices. Removing them from your daily routine without adding potassium-rich replacements may lead to leg cramps.
    r u srs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Why is there barely any cars around today?!

Why is there barely any cars around today?!
    Everyone is taking a "sick" day?

traffic was busy as usual for me...

it's depressing and dark and yuck out though

534850_424229087628591_1461362475_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Acoshla wrote: »
    Jane porridge with fruit is a great cheap breakfast, and beans on wholegrain toast with a bit of grated cheese kept me going through college. I used to live on €75 a week, which included €25 bus ticket, at least 2 nights out and all meals. I used to bring ham, tomato and cheese sandwiches to college for lunch, Lidl do a really tasty ham that comes in huge slices and is pretty cheap, they also do really cheap yoghurts, rice is a fraction of the price in Aldi compared to Tesco etc, and Tesco do 3 for €9 on chicken, fish, meat every week. Buy special offers and freeze them, freeze almost everything if possible. If you have any questions or want any advice on cheap food shopping feel free to pm me, I'm a master of it :)

Also MABS do a free cheap meals cookbook, think they have a student one too.

its easy to live on cheap stuff, sure you can get 20 chicken fillets from the butcher for 12 quid. thats nearly a months worth of dinners right there all you need is veg, be it frozen or tins of peas or whatever, gravy n some other bits n pieces. buy rice and powdered curry sauce, dice some chicken breast, bam, chicken curry dish. or pasta and chicken thrown in with some stir in sauce. easy to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement