Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Best of luck java, will be thinking of you today! :D

I'm in a fantastic mood because I woke up this morning to a surprise email from X! I emailed him just over a week ago to keep him updated on stuff and tbh I didn't think he'd even get it until he came home, it was more a way of making me feel a bit better but he somehow managed to get online for a few minutes last night/this morning and sent me a reply :D He's really loving it over there and he is having the time of his life, that makes me so happy. Yay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I don't want to turn this into the Student Cooking Thread, but it's as cheap to make your own curry paste from scratch (in bulk) and freeze it as it is to buy those awful powdered mixes. Nutritionally miles better aswell, obviously.

I am feeling every minute of that tag game today, I can tell you. Now, where did I leave my zimmer frame???

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I don't want to turn this into the Student Cooking Thread, but it's as cheap to make your own curry paste from scratch (in bulk) and freeze it as it is to buy those awful powdered mixes. Nutritionally miles better aswell, obviously.

yeah, buying a bunch of actual basic spices will last you a good long time and you can mix them up loads as well
    i make mine with water and all the usual stuff like tumeric cinnamon ginger cumin cardamom etc, lovely curry sauce
    mum uses a tomato paste base for hers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

WinterSong wrote: »
    Best of luck java, will be thinking of you today! :D

I'm in a fantastic mood because I woke up this morning to a surprise email from X! I emailed him just over a week ago to keep him updated on stuff and tbh I didn't think he'd even get it until he came home, it was more a way of making me feel a bit better but he somehow managed to get online for a few minutes last night/this morning and sent me a reply :D He's really loving it over there and he is having the time of his life, that makes me so happy. Yay :)

You're back =D

funny-dog-pictures-i-thought-you-werent-coming-back-so-i-panicked.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

I'm planning to use some of the recipes from your blog in September when I move to France, so so many interesting and yummy ones there! One thing I'm terrified of making is curry paste though, I tried it before in Home Ec class and even my teacher was stunned that I managed to mess it up so much...

• Advertisement

WinterSong wrote: »
    I'm planning to use some of the recipes from your blog in September when I move to France, so so many interesting and yummy ones there! One thing I'm terrified of making is curry paste though, I tried it before in Home Ec class and even my teacher was stunned that I managed to mess it up so much...

Seriously, if my mother can make curry paste, anyone can. The one from the chicken & chickpea curry is bombproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

while broke the day before payday the other week I cooked pasta, grilled two sausages, chopped them into slices and added some spicy pepperoni stir in sauce, that dolmio stuff thats handy to have in a pinch, it has all the noms. random combinations of stuff ftw. my housemate makes an amazing pasta sauce from white sauce, mushrooms, onion, peppers and some other stuff thrown in, its fun experimenting with things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I got my refund from work :D They agreed to refund half of my college fees when I submitted my results. Just in time for the birthday party I'm heading to tonight, drinks are on me!

krudler wrote: »
    added some spicy pepperoni stir in sauce, that dolmio stuff thats handy to have in a pinch, it has all the noms.

Just watch the stir-in sauces, they are LOADED with salt. Extremely high in calories too, for the scabby little tub you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Jane - getting some of the Aldi Super 6, rice, couscous or pasta, and a full chicken (roast it on a Monday night and you'll have meat for most of the week) will quite literally give you almost the full week in dinners, plus fruit for snacks, and it will be pretty healthy too depending on what you add to it. Super 6 changes all the time so you won't get bored too. :) (At the moment there's quite a few salad veg and sweet potatoes on it, so that's a cue to have salads and a roasted sweet potato quite a bit, they're 35c each)

• Advertisement

Jane - getting some of the Aldi Super 6, rice, couscous or pasta, and a full chicken (roast it on a Monday night and you'll have meat for most of the week) will quite literally give you almost the full week in dinners, plus fruit for snacks, and it will be pretty healthy too depending on what you add to it. Super 6 changes all the time so you won't get bored too. :)

Aldi Super 6 is, quite literally, the best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Honey, link to the curry recipe please!!

I love a good curry but I hate jar sauces, yuk.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Honey, link to the curry recipe please!!

I love a good curry but I hate jar sauces, yuk.

http://www.ruminationsrugbyruination.blogspot.ie/2011/08/post-ninth-in-which-our-heroine-has.html

Ha, just laughing at that post, which was written in August of last year. Could just have easily written it today. Bloody weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Polloloca wrote: »
    Why is there barely any cars around today?!

Really weird. Normally I've to sit behind cars (I cycle) because it's to tight to squeeze through. Nothing on the road today.

Think I'll be heading back home soon. Go away stomach bug, go away. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Think I'll be heading back home soon. Go away stomach bug, go away. :(

I've a nauseous stomach from nerves, and get a phonecall with graphic detail of a broken toe, nearly puked. Wish I didn't become a ball of stress nausea and jitters when I'm nervous over the smallest things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The lack of traffic was weird but I won't complain. I was panicking because I didn't leave the house until after half 8 and somehow made it into work in around 15 minutes. New record!

Ooh, just remembered I'm going to Gotham Cafe for dinner this avo. Baby calzones and Union Square pizza, I'm-a coming for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Acoshla, Ivy, bluewolf, krudler, Honey-ec and rainbow kirby - Thanks so so much for all your advice, I really do appreciate it. I think I can make this work, I just have to be clever and watch for offers. The fruit and veg in Lidl and Aldi are always cheap and as someone said chicken fillets are cheap. Eggs are cheap as well, they could help with at least 2-3 meals a week, I saw a big lasagne in Lidl for 2.99 and that could do for dinner a couple of days. Feeling positive but don't want to let myself be too optimistic either in case it doesn't work out. :o

Think I'll get up now, get ready and do some knitting before I go into Portlaoise. Going to invest in an O2 Money Card. I think it could be a good way to save. I'm volunteering in the LSPCA shop today too.

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Acoshla, Ivy, bluewolf, krudler, Honey-ec and rainbow kirby - Thanks so so much for all your advice, I really do appreciate it. I think I can make this work, I just have to be clever and watch for offers. The fruit and veg in Lidl and Aldi are always cheap and as someone said chicken fillets are cheap. Eggs are cheap as well, they could help with at least 2-3 meals a week, I saw a big lasagne in Lidl for 2.99 and that could do for dinner a couple of days. Feeling positive but don't want to let myself be too optimistic either in case it doesn't work out. :o

Think I'll get up now, get ready and do some knitting before I go into Portlaoise. Going to invest in an O2 Money Card. I think it could be a good way to save. I'm volunteering in the LSPCA shop today too.

the money cards are handy alright, people use them as a savings tool just transfering money to them and having it there to spend online.
    I think once I have my credit card cleared I'll just get rid of it and get a visa debit altogether. once you start building up credit its so hard to get it down, I was just paying interest but not actually reducing the bill, its almost gone now and I only did it because I was broke all the time living alone, lesson learned.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Honey just laughing at your pic in KYL, can see two of the lads in the background taking a sneaky peek of you doing your stretches :pac:

Just watch the stir-in sauces, they are LOADED with salt. Extremely high in calories too, for the scabby little tub you get.

ah yeah they're really there for emergencies/laziness/hangovers lol I havnt eaten bread in a while and try to limit pasta to once every 10 days if even that, and only the wholegrain stuff, I usually make a small amount of pasta and throw in loads of chicken. I'll go through phases where if I'm working out I'll eat nothing but protein high food for ages, get results, then get lazy and lose any progress again. its too easy to go "ah I'll do it tomorrow" and not do it. I need to come home from work, change into a tracksuit pants and use our weight bench straight away, if I sit down for an hour its a pain trying to work up the motivation to do it then. the joys of an office job, sitting on your hole all day with easy access to coffee and chocolate makes your eating go out the window if you let it.

#excusesexcuses :pac:

awec wrote: »
    Money cards aren't great if you actually plan to use them to spend.

The O2 one online topup takes a few days for the money to transfer on to it. The 3v one you have to go to a shop to do it which kind of defeats the point.

Visa debit is the way to go, this laser card nonsense is absolute rubbish. I don't see why ireland has to be different from the rest of the world and issue theese instead of visa or mastercard to customers! :rolleyes:

Dont get me started on people who dont have laser or credit cards, how you function? people still paying for things with cheques, its 2012 ffs! in 12 months we'll be using our phones to swipe over a till point to pay for things, thats not some far distant tech its coming pretty soon. it is annoying that most online shops dont take laser, must get myself a visa debit

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I have one of those 3V cards and it's a bit of a pain. The smallest amount you can get on a voucher is 30 euro. If I want to get something on eBay for a fiver, I have to spend 32.50 (there's a charge) if I don't have money left on my previous voucher. I think the O2 one would be great if I could stick a fiver on it here or there when I'm in Portlaoise, it would be better than spending 30 euro everytime and you usually only get 2 months to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Would you consider paypal Jane? Loads of websites accept paypal and I know it's a hassle transferring the money and then waiting for it to show up but I tend to transfer a little bit each week so that there's always something in there just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

pains kept me up all night.made me cry they were so bad and ten minutes apart. then i tried to fall asleep and woke up to Nothing!
    maybe this weekend though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Dara O'Briain was really funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Honey just laughing at your pic in KYL, can see two of the lads in the background taking a sneaky peek of you doing your stretches :pac:

I saw that too! ;)Now, off to find chickpeas for that yummy curry recipe!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement