Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Disgustingly shameful confession: I had to pause the Will Smith version for 20 minutes while I went on a hysterical crying jag when
    the dog died
    . Inconsolable, like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Disgustingly shameful confession: I had to pause the Will Smith version for 20 minutes while I went on a hysterical crying jag when
    the dog died
    . Inconsolable, like.

Here, look. I can't watch even a minute of Fluke without blubbing. Fluke! The thing where Matthew Modine is a dog trying to split his wife up from Eric Stoltz.

Yeah. Issues.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Here, look. I can't watch even a minute of Fluke without blubbing. Fluke! The thing where Matthew Modine is a dog trying to split his wife up from Eric Stoltz.

Yeah. Issues.

awww i remember that :(

i couldn't watch the movie about that dog who goes to the train station every day after his master dies, would just kill me
    and i can never watch marley&me again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Marley & Me is banned in this house, after boyfriend bawled and I mocked him, I wasn't actually mocking the crying, I was mocking the fact that he tried to hide it, I was like "Just sob like I do at The Lion King!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Forgot to tell you guys about my ingenious dinner plan for college. Well maybe it's not that ingenious but it'll be cheap.. 2 slices of bread, toast one side under the grill. Put tomato sauce on the untoasted side along with some ham/chicken, scallion/onion and some grated cheese. Grill until cheese melts. So yummy! :D

I have to admit, I couldn't just have a sandwich for dinner! :o Need something more substantial ... with lots of veggies! That's probably because I usually only have a small-ish lunch, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Best of luck java, hope everything goes well for you and Zoe! xx

Happy birthday tomissex, hope you have a fantastic day! :D

I have to admit, I couldn't just have a sandwich for dinner! :o Need something more substantial ... with lots of veggies! That's probably because I usually only have a small-ish lunch, though.

My dinner du jour is cod (great prices in Lidl or cheap in Tesco when it's nearly out of date) with pesto and breadcrumbs on top either with a load of salad or some pasta, peppers, tomatoes, etc. It's so cheap, filling and yum, had it last night, I need a bigger dinner than a sandwich usually too!

The cat is hissing and growling at the kitten since she came home from the vets, stoopid cat, make it easy for her why don't you! The kitten is so funny, surgery? What surgery? She came home and started hopping around the place and snuggling with the dog, and ignoring her stitches, which is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

@chatterpillar - usually I wouldn't either but it'll save cash which suits me down to the ground. :)

I've abandoned the original blanket that I had planned to knit because I found a similar one. The original was just plain squares sewn together but these squares have pawprints on them! :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    awww i remember that :(

i couldn't watch the movie about that dog who goes to the train station every day after his master dies, would just kill me
    and i can never watch marley&me again...

Greyfriars Bobby?

Marley & Me is not a film I ever, ever feel the need to watch. Ever.

Trying to work out a weekly budget for when I go to Paris is really hard. I don't really know how much food and other essentials cost over there. I'm generally quite good at budgeting here in Ireland so it's a bit frustrating trying to work this out.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Greyfriars Bobby?

Marley & Me is not a film I ever, ever feel the need to watch. Ever.

no, hachi
    In 1924, Hidesaburō Ueno, a professor in the agriculture department at the University of Tokyo, took in Hachikō, a golden brown Akita, as a pet. During his owner's life, Hachikō greeted him at the end of each day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return. The professor had suffered from a cerebral hemorrhage and died, never returning to the train station where Hachikō was waiting. Every day for the next nine years the dog waited at Shibuya station.
    *sob*

doggy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D
    movie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi:_A_Dog%27s_Tale

WinterSong wrote: »
    Trying to work out a weekly budget for when I go to Paris is really hard. I don't really know how much food and other essentials cost over there. I'm generally quite good at budgeting here in Ireland so it's a bit frustrating trying to work this out.

fear not, bluewolf has more vouchers to help! maybe!
    http://www.groupon.fr/
    http://www.groupon.fr/deals/paris-sud-est
    http://www.groupon.fr/deals/paris
    :D:D

Oh yeah, Greyfriars Bobby was the one who went and sat beside his owner's grave every day after he died. Also sob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyfriars_Bobby

I miss my dogs :(

Legend, thanks a mil bluewolf! :D

I can never watch this episode of futurama without bawling my eyes out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Bark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Maybe have a look at the carrefour.fr and super U websites, they have online shopping sections where you can get food prices, that should give you an idea of cost.

Also, have a look at amazon.fr, they have a subscription programme (http://www.amazon.fr/%C3%A9conomie-10-r%C3%A9duction-livraison-gratuite-produits-quotidiens/b/ref=amb_link_163713627_2?ie=UTF8&node=424615031&pf_rd_m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&pf_rd_s=right-2&pf_rd_r=0QT2VY511A524KRQFJX8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=292476287&pf_rd_i=51375011) where you can save money on household cleaning products, hygeine and beauty stuff if you schedule delivery once a month. The beauty of it is that there are no delivery charges, and even though you subscribe for monthly delivery, you can cancel your subscription anytime, so basically you can order something once and save. I get my nappies way cheaper than in the supermarket this way.

Also they have lidl and aldi and netto here which are pretty cheap.

Oh yeah I find clothes over here are dearer than in Ireland. So stock up on stuff in Penneys because they don't have a similarly priced clothes shop here, to my knowledge (monoprix is supposed to be cheap but it really isn't)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Acoshla wrote: »
    The cat is hissing and growling at the kitten since she came home from the vets, stoopid cat, make it easy for her why don't you! The kitten is so funny, surgery? What surgery? She came home and started hopping around the place and snuggling with the dog, and ignoring her stitches, which is great :)

When my cat got home from being spayed, we ended up having to put her back in the carrier until the anaesthetic wore off fully. She kept insisting on jumping up on stuff... only her aim was off because of the drugs so she'd jump vertically into the air and fall back down :p

When my cat got home from being spayed, we ended up having to put her back in the carrier until the anaesthetic wore off fully. She kept insisting on jumping up on stuff... only her aim was off because of the drugs so she'd jump vertically into the air and fall back down :p

The kitten was grand, no ill effects from anaesthetic, staying overnight is so great for keeping them confined til it wears off. She was a bit unsociable yesterday alright, sitting on her own more than usual, but this morning he was meowing to get out of the room and rubbed herself all over the doggy's face purring :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Legend, thanks a mil bluewolf! :D

I can never watch this episode of futurama without bawling my eyes out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Bark

Futurama makes me cry a lot. Lots of the Fry and Leela stuff gets to me. The character development over the years has been flawless. Not something you see much in cartoon comedy.

Futurama makes me cry a lot. Lots of the Fry and Leela stuff gets to me. The character development over the years has been flawless. Not something you see much in cartoon comedy.

I want Nibbler!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Like, even the Omega Man was daft. Charlton Heston was such a bloody ham if you ask me. (Waits for krudler to cite instances of when he was not a ham)

If your heart doesn't break for Neville reading that, then you don't have one. I'm pretty sure you have one though.

@Honey -- I suppose that's a product of the era it was written in. And it's part of his character too, (Sorry for the spoilers Ivy)
    Even though the world has become hell and godless, he hangs onto that part of himself to remind himself that he's still human and that everything he knew to be good (again product of the era) wasn't lost as long as he had breath in his body.
    That was my take anyhow.

Oh and we watched Paths of Glory last night. What a brilliant film.

He was a ham :pac: not an actor I've ever liked tbh, he just plays himself in everything.

Paths Of Glory is fantastic, one of the best war movies ever.

There is room for another, proper adaptation of I Am Legend, hopefully by someone who actually read the book :pac: I like the Will Smith one up until
    the dog dies
    but once
    the woman and kid come into it
    it falls apart, and the CGI vamps/creatures are TERRIBLE. They did have guys in prostethic makeup screentested for it and it looked FAR better than the godawful things in the final movie. If you want to see spectacular makeup/cgi used perfectly well together on vampires watch Blade 2, the effects are flawless and it came out years before I Am Legend. Same as An American Werewolf In London, the change sequence has never,ever been bettered by cgi and still holds up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I have been hanging out in the cooking forum the past while..

So far I've made:

Pulled Pork;
    Malaysian Curry;
    Beef in Red Wine and Rosemary with Homemade Yorkshire.

And tomorrow I'm trying out some Pecan Pie.

I need to stop cooking/baking!

How'd the pulled pork work out for you? Keep meaning to try that recipe as I love pulled pork, use to eat it all the time in America.

Best of luck Java x. Don't think I could cope with someone telling me there's aliens in the en suite in the middle of the night, my half asleep brain regularly freaks itself out so something like that would send me over the edge.

Really well.. I made it the first time for my boyfriends birthday party, I thought they weren't going to like it but it was gone within a half hour!! :-D

It's a special occasion recipe coz it takes so long to make.. Finding some of the ingredients was a special kind of adventure, tho. If u need any advice for molasses hunting, give me a pm!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

javagal wrote: »
    In the early stages of labour,sleeping well through pains.
    Awake to my oh sleep walking shouting "push,push!"
    Now I can't get back to sleep, Damn him!

Good luck! Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Good luck java! Eeep! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Good luck java! July 13th is a great day to be born :D
    Thanks for all the happy birthdays! My brother got me a Lego Knight Bus, gonna spend my day making it... and drinking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Somewhat disheartened after my meeting at fas. Boourns.

One of my online friends acquaintances has just found out that she's pregnant. She's wanted to be a mother her entire life, so she's deliriously happy.

I'm worried that she'll have a boy. She wants a girl. She has always wanted a girl. Whenever she talks about her future child, it's a girl, with a name long-chosen and everything. She has created this whole fantasy world in which she's the mother of an angelic little girl. And I'm concerned that if she has a boy she'll end up resenting him.

It's also going to be a high-risk pregnancy. The whole thing is fraught with tension for everyone looking on. Hopefully everything will go well.

I don't think this kind of stuff is in those pregnancy books!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

bubblefett wrote: »

what did they say?

bubblefett wrote: »

I was in a couple of times to them before I went back to college. Always found it completely pointless, unfortunately.

Thanks so much for that Ivy, you're an absolute star! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

One of my online friends acquaintances has just found out that she's pregnant. She's wanted to be a mother her entire life, so she's deliriously happy.

I'm worried that she'll have a boy. She wants a girl. She has always wanted a girl. Whenever she talks about her future child, it's a girl, with a name long-chosen and everything. She has created this whole fantasy world in which she's the mother of an angelic little girl. And I'm concerned that if she has a boy she'll end up resenting him.

It's also going to be a high-risk pregnancy. The whole thing is fraught with tension for everyone looking on. Hopefully everything will go well.

I don't think this kind of stuff is in those pregnancy books!

This happened a girl I went to school with. She has convinced herself she was having a girl. Had the room painted pink, girls name picked out etc.

She had a boy and had a very rough delivery and wouldn't go near the baby after it.

Post natal depression but also being a teenager there was a bit of immaturity there.

She copped on fairly sharpish though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This happened a girl I went to school with. She has convinced herself she was having a girl. Had the room painted pink, girls name picked out etc.

She had a boy and had a very rough delivery and wouldn't go near the baby after it.

Post natal depression but also being a teenager there was a bit of immaturity there.

She copped on fairly sharpish though :)

I'd rather know, you can plan better, its only going to be one of two options like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement