Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Saved a baby bird today! There's my good deed for the year, right?

Glad to see others are knackard as I thought I was getting sick or something, could've easily had fallen asleep standing up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

In other news - have been traipsing around town all day, absolutely knickered!

:eek: Oh my! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Albection wrote: »
    :eek: Oh my! :eek:

LOL, have you not heard that variation of the expression before? :p

LOL, have you not heard that variation of the expression before? :p

No. :o So that wasn't a freudianesque typo? :(

Albection wrote: »
    No. :o So that wasn't a freudianesque typo? :(

Nope. Was just being colloquial ;)

• Advertisement

What? But you're only a baby :eek: What age were you starting uni? :eek:

15 :pac:
    took a year out before the LC

Nope. Was just being colloquial ;)

Ok. I'm counting this as my something new for the rule about learning something new every day. :D

Which totally gives me permission to be as unproductive as possible for the rest of the night. :cool:

bluewolf wrote: »

So... you're a prodigy? :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

bluewolf wrote: »

Don't all Irish universities have an entry age of 17 and above only?? :confused:

Don't all Irish universities have an entry age of 17 and above only?? :confused:

Technically. But you can get a letter from the President of the University to enter before then.

Might be 16 as the age, but I can't remember that part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I really appreciate the way my so-called friends and work colleagues have stayed in touch and visited me during the three months I've been out of work since my accident :rolleyes: Guess I know what is what now :cool:

There's nothing like an accident/crysis/emergency to show you who your true friends are.

Since my dad's accident I've been texted by 1 of my mates. It's been over a month. Really showed me where I stand in everything.
    And that is why I'm going to be a crazy cat lady when I grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

bubblefett wrote: »
    There's nothing like an accident/crysis/emergency to show you who your true friends are.

Since my dad's accident I've been texted by 1 of my mates. It's been over a month. Really showed me where I stand in everything.

I've had one of my friends half-heartedly say she was going to call out and visit me over the June bank holiday weekend, still waiting on that :rolleyes:

Anyway, I shall not dwell :cool:

This is interesting, actually.

I think some people want to contact friends in situations like that, but don't want to impose themselves. Some people can't be bothered, of coure, but it's difficult to separate the two groups.

Like, for example, one of our neighbours was terminally ill about a year ago, and my mother was always saying that she'd like to go and visit her but she ended up not visiting, because she didn't know if our neighbour *wanted* visitors or not. When she died, I basically said to my mother "look, if someone doesn't want visitors then they needn't let you in, but don't assume that they *don't*, because you might not get another chance to see them, and if everyone does the same as you then they'll think no-one gives a crap about them".

Maybe it'd be worth asking them if they want to do something? If they still don't make any effort, then fair enough.

This is interesting, actually.

I think some people want to contact friends in situations like that, but don't want to impose themselves. Some people can't be bothered, of coure, but it's difficult to separate the two groups.

Like, for example, one of our neighbours was terminally ill about a year ago, and my mother was always saying that she'd like to go and visit her but she ended up not visiting, because she didn't know if our neighbour *wanted* visitors or not. When she died, I basically said to my mother "look, if someone doesn't want visitors then they needn't let you in, but don't assume that they *don't*, because you might not get another chance to see them, and if everyone does the same as you then they'll think no-one gives a crap about them".

Maybe it'd be worth asking them if they want to do something? If they still don't make any effort, then fair enough.

I'm so sorry about your neighbour x
    I completely get the whole thing of not being sure if it's appropriate to visit and so when someone is ill- I've been taking calls from my dad's friends/workmates asking how he is, updates on his surgeries and if he's up for visitors which is lovely. I have to tell them yes or no to visiting depending on how he is feeling but even if they don't call in it's great to be able to hell him they called to check up.

Ah I'm more upset that my friends have made no effort to even drop a "how's he doing" text- they all know him well. And I think I'd cry if they sent me a "how are you doing" text, I'm that emotionally exhausted over the whole thing. Thank God for the boyfriend anyways, he was my best friend before we got together and he's still my best friend (just a best friend I can has sexy fun times with :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

How is your dad getting on now, bubblefett? :)

I feel a bit better now, thank christ. I'm not moving out of this chair for the rest of the evening. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

god I am feeling terrible today :(

I'm so sorry about your neighbour x
    I completely get the whole thing of not being sure if it's appropriate to visit and so when someone is ill- I've been taking calls from my dad's friends/workmates asking how he is, updates on his surgeries and if he's up for visitors which is lovely. I have to tell them yes or no to visiting depending on how he is feeling but even if they don't call in it's great to be able to hell him they called to check up.

Ah I'm more upset that my friends have made no effort to even drop a "how's he doing" text- they all know him well. And I think I'd cry if they sent me a "how are you doing" text, I'm that emotionally exhausted over the whole thing. Thank God for the boyfriend anyways, he was my best friend before we got together and he's still my best friend (just a best friend I can has sexy fun times with :p)

Same as. I don't know where I'd be without him. I'm sure he has wanted to kill me at times though :P

WinterSong wrote: »
    How is your dad getting on now, bubblefett? :)

I feel a bit better now, thank christ. I'm not moving out of this chair for the rest of the evening. :)

He was bad today unfortunately :( He was hallucinating and lost the strength in his hands. He looked terrible, not like himself at all. But he's getting his meds changed and a blood transfusion tonight so hopefully that'll fix him up. It was just a bit of a shock today- keep having to reminding myself that all this crap will be worth it when he's up and walking again :)

I haz an iceburger. Iceburger cures all upsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Happy Friday the 13th Y'all!!
    I am still here..
    But...

Things are getting more and more disgusting so I am taking this as a good sign!!

javagal wrote: »
    Happy Friday the 13th Y'all!!
    I am still here..
    But...

Things are getting more and more disgusting so I am taking this as a good sign!!

Saturday the 14th is a good day too... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Saturday the 14th is a good day too... ;)

Yeah, Love an ould date that is divisible by 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Links234 wrote: »
    god I am feeling terrible today :(

whats up my dear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

EmilyO wrote: »
    Well, my dad got made redundant yesterday. After 15 years with the company he worked for, and so much hard work and dedication, they shafted him. Words can't describe how angry I am for him - the redundancy itself isn't a massive shock, but the manner in which it happened is deplorable. He's brilliant at his job, and so well-respected.
    I work part-time for the same company and I'm going to start firing my CVs out as soon as I can. Such a kick in the teeth :(

Sorry to hear about your dad, same thing happened my mum, 30 years with one company and she got rightly screwed over, has found it impossible to find a permanent job in the 2.5 years since. There's just nothing you can say to someone after something like that, no "Well on the positive side" etc. Hope he finds something else soon x

Just had a call from my mum. I don't know why she bothers. She asked about my leg, my job (terrified I'm going to get fired over my injury leave), told me a few stories from home, asked about my dogs and didn't ask one single thing about my boyfriend, the person who has been looking after me for the past three months after I "nearly died" - her words. Anytime I bring him up in conversation she glosses over it and moves onto the next mammy story about such a person's cousin or sister (you know the way they are lol!). I don't know what her problem is, it is really inexplicable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My mum never tells me stories about random people I don't know, I feel grateful I dodged the Irish Mammy bullet!

whats up my dear?
    feeling really sick since yesterday, and had an anxiety attack to boot. :( so feeling like absolute ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

feeling really sick since yesterday, and had an anxiety attack to boot. :( so feeling like absolute ****

Sorry to hear that, anxiety attacks are a right pain and you don't feel right for ages after. Can you find some time to take a nice bubble bath and have a cup of tea to relax?

Acoshla wrote: »
    My mum never tells me stories about random people I don't know, I feel grateful I dodged the Irish Mammy bullet!

You're lucky, I asked her for the address of my childhood G.P. so I can get medical records (will need them for my case) and she launched into a big story about the G.P.'s kids, the son is an engineer in Australia, the eldest daughter is a primary school teacher, the second eldest daughter is studying medicine and the youngest is going into Junior Cert year. I DON'T CARE!! When she mentioned that the son is an engineer in Australia I mentioned my own boyfriend, who is also an engineer and the fact that we will probably be leaving the country next year to go to Canada once he gets his degree and she glossed over that fact. Ah yeah, your own daughter may possibly be leaving the country and going to Canada but stop the presses, my old G.P.'s son is in Australia working as an engineer!!!

jujibee wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, anxiety attacks are a right pain and you don't feel right for ages after. Can you find some time to take a nice bubble bath and have a cup of tea to relax?

yeah, just gonna chill out and play skyrim tonight, but my stomach is in absolute bits, can barely eat today :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

yeah, just gonna chill out and play skyrim tonight, but my stomach is in absolute bits, can barely eat today :o

This is going to sound silly but I found that ice cream or something sweet and cold helped afterwards. I always felt hot after them so something cool was nice and the sugar helped to pick me up a little bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement