Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Sure I'm not even too wild about 10. I was happy when he regenerated. I was laughing when everyone else was crying.

Eccleston would get it in a heartbeat though, and maybe Smith if he could just for a minute wear something that didn't look ridiculous. I don't know where he finds all of his hideous clothes.

Noooooo dont say that :(

Tennant is beautiful and i loved him as the 10th Doctor. Not a massive fan of Matt Smith at the moment though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Noooooo dont say that :(

Tennant is beautiful and i loved him as the 10th Doctor. Not a massive fan of Matt Smith at the moment though!

Gonna add you to my ignore list now.*

Eleven is awesome.

*not really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

WinterSong wrote: »
    :eek: My friend is taking me to the Phantom of the Opera next Monday as an early birthday present! :D What a lovely thought, that has made my day. :)

I'm seeing it this monday!! :D

I loves me some David Tennant, the ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Lads, genuine question, why close your account then come back under a new username a few days later? :confused: Don't get it? Especially when you come back and just tell everyone who you are. :confused:

I expect it's a heat of the moment thing, thats why I'm not fond of the close account feature.

Abi wrote: »
    I expect it's a heat of the moment thing, thats why I'm not fond of the close account feature.

I expect it's for different reasons depending on the person. I am fond of the close account feature, people should be in control of their own accounts like that, they shouldn't have to beg a cMod or an Admin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Lads, genuine question, why close your account then come back under a new username a few days later? :confused: Don't get it? Especially when you come back and just tell everyone who you are. :confused:
    I can think of a few potential reasons.

I know if I were to try to take a break, I'd fail miserably if my account were still accessible. Closing and starting a new one could provide a solution. This may even be a nice exam time course of action.

It could also be pretty helpful if someone in real life knew your username but wasn't likely to actually search your posts. Some degree of anonymity can be nice.

By and large, I'm just throwing ideas out there, but I totally understand why people do it.

By the by, welcome to homemadecider and Ella Bella. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

We come back because we do actually like boards.

Telling others here who we were because we have friends here and it's nice to be able to pick back up where we left off. In the grand scheme of this site, this forum is pretty small so it's easy enough to admit to people here who we were without the vile element from elsewhere that forced us out to know who we were.

The closing the account thing can be for a variety of reasons and is probably quite personal for everyone.

But let's just be happy that we've regained our friends again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

missing girlfriend fairly badly tonight. :o but yay I get to see her tomorrow! :D she's getting me new shoesies for my burfday too :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't get this either, I've recently considered closing my account and starting anew, don't get the start again and tell the world.

I expect it's for different reasons depending on the person. I am fond of the close account feature, people should be in control of their own accounts like that, they shouldn't have to beg a cMod or an Admin.

Situation -

a) Honest person, feeling like they've given too much away and need a new slate

b) someone who has a history on boards of being a pain in the hole to mods, but comes back thinking the close account feature will make people think they don't know who they are

I see the flip side of both Daz. I miss a lot of people who have left, and while I'm still in touch with some, it just sucks from that aspect.
    Links234 wrote: »
    missing girlfriend fairly badly tonight. :o but yay I get to see her tomorrow! :D she's getting me new shoesies for my burfday too :D

Describe le shoesies! :)

I miss my other half all the time, we're like two peas in a pod. I know how you feel :)

Edit: Stehno, why how what! how come you're not modding no more :( ah for fs. :(

• Advertisement

Situation -

b) someone who has a history on boards of being a pain in the hole to mods, but comes back thinking the close account feature will make people think they don't know who they are

I see the flip side of both Daz. I miss a lot of people who have left, and while I'm still in touch with some, it just sucks from that aspect.

Free choice. *shrugs*

And if someone's being a dick, they're not going to be able to stop being a dick just because they have a new username. It's the same as a rereg. Was that about someone in particular btw?

If people need to leave, yeah I might miss them, but it's their choice. It's just a website at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Situation -

One could argue A that for many if not most both a and b apply equally? It's all too easy a thing to be labelled as one thing or another, even if said thing is but a small portion of who you are and what you post.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Das Kitty wrote:
    It's just a website at the end of the day.
    Indeed :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    One could argue A that for many if not most both a and b apply equally?

Sorry just seeing this now Wibbs, again agreed, but the two cases don't cover both either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Welcome back Suzie. :)

Describe le shoesies! :)

I miss my other half all the time, we're like two peas in a pod. I know how you feel :)

shoesies guaranteed to freak some people out :pac:

vibram_m_classic_castle-rock_verde300.jpg

supposedly all the rage for sports and fitness, I wanted them for style :D

yeah, the house just feels so empty without her all of a sudden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Maggie Gyllenhaal. Her and Peter Sarsgaard, oh to be the meat in that sandwich)
    I'll help. I love Maggie Gyllenhaal.
    supposedly all the rage for sports and fitness, I wanted them for style :D
    You're not alone. I was on another forum where people were going mental because they saw people wearing them at a wedding and all these fancy occasions and couldn't get their heads around it. :p

Welcome back everyone. I guess I forgive you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I has a sad but don't really know why.. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I has a sad but don't really know why.. :(
    Aaaw. xxx

Welcome to the new girls. I think you'll like it here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I got a phonecall...'The off license closes in 20 minutes, you better be dressed and ready to go when we arrive at your front door!' :pac::pac: So yeah, hung out for the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LOL, fanks! Didn't really want to leave leave but just felt a bit concerned that I'd given away too much for my liking.

Also, cocks and cake for all! :D

eh....can I just have the cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

krudler wrote: »
    eh....can I just have the cake?
    Well, you already have the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Well, you already have the other one.
    Can we be sure of this? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Welcome back Ella Bella! :D

Acoshla wrote: »

*shudder*
    See? Freaks people out.

Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Dunno if Bluewolf is around, but quick grammar question...

Regarding infer/imply which is the proper use, I thought it was "I infer and you imply" or am I getting this all wrong.

What I really want to say is "it was not said outright but [they] it was inferred/implied"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Ophiopogon wrote: »

Regarding infer/imply which is the proper use, I thought it was "I infer and you imply" or am I getting this all wrong.

What I really want to say is "it was not said outright but [they] it was inferred/implied"

I would say it is implied. I am no grammar Queen it just sounds right...

Ophiopogon wrote: »

It is implied

you inferred it from what they said

imply = something suggested without being explicitly stated
    infer = trying to arrive at a conclusion based on what someone else said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

bluewolf wrote: »
    It is implied

you inferred it from what they said

imply = something suggested without being explicitly stated
    infer = trying to arrive at a conclusion based on what someone else said

Cheers my dear, I could never remember the difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement