Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I went and changed my avatar as well yesterday which probably confused people more.. :o

Also, *hugs* for rebel girl.. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I went and changed my avatar as well yesterday which probably confused people more.. :o

Your posting style is pretty recognisable though, there would be other less frequent posters who are less easy to guess like.

I don't mean that in a bad way btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

An early night is much needed :) Goodnight everyone!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Also, *hugs* for rebel girl.. x

ah it didn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I feel like I'm in Star Trek when I wear them. (Mine are white).
    And you don't find this incrediblycool?

I really want a pair just because you said that.

I like Star Trek.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I hope you're okay Rebelgirl. :( xxx

Goodnight, WinterSong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

And you don't find this incrediblycool?

I really want a pair just because you said that.

I like Star Trek.
    Well, when you're puffing your way along the side-streets, jumping over dogs and kids and trying to be inconspicuous so no-one wil notice your turtle run, the Star Trek headphones do not help. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I only just noticed about baby coffeebean now!! ( I must have been a million miles away earlier :o) CONGRATS and feel better soon Javagirl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Ilyana wrote: »

Can someone PM me the new names list pwease? I didn't even realise some posters had changed their names!

Lol I need the same. I haven't a clue who most people are now. You included :)!

Ah I feel loved, people recognise my posting style.. :D

Goodnight WinterSong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Could I please have a copy of the list, think I'm a bit slow and can't figure anyone out!!

Turns out fiancé had a great night, so I'm delighted. I've been looking after him all day which basically meant feeding him all his favourite junk food!

Have my first wedding dress fitting tomorrow - I'm so nervous that it won't fit :(

Rebel, I hope you're ok. It's 6 years since my granny died and I still find some days difficult *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Good evening everybody! I'm just back from a weekend down in the schticks with my parents and the little lady, I had a great time. It felt so good to be away from the net/tv and everything for a couple of days. I havn't caught up on all the posts yet, I hope everybody is keeping well!
    javagal wrote: »
    just a quick hi, baby zoe arrived last night weighing an impressive 9 pound 10!

very traumatic birth that has me in intensive care, but at least its over!

Congrats javagal! I hope you and Zoe will be home and back to full health very soon! :)

Albection wrote: »
    Can I get a copy of that list?

Could I get a copy of the name change list too? I know some, but not others. Please and thank you :D

I played an epic monopoly marathon with my brothers last night and won :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Finally managed to compose myself - think its a combination of a lot of things that just hit. Tiredness really doesn't help, was up until about 4ish last night with a bad stomach.

Managed to get through the graveyard visit today - saw this man with a fold up chair there in front of a grave, thought it might have been his wife's grave he was visiting, obvious that it was a fairly new grave, but got the full story from my uncle later on. Turns out he was visiting his 14 year old son's grave - son had been complaining of headaches and didn't like school at all, so parents were walking him to school to make sure, thinking that the headaches were because he did not like school, turned out his headaches were being caused by a brain tumour, they operated, but could only take out some of it, the rest was inoperable, and he passed away at home. Feel so sorry for his parents - I know that all losses are hard at first, but I can live in the knowledge that my grandmother had a chance at life, lived her life and was stubborn right up until the end. It times like when I hear that story about that child, or my friend who was killed in a road accident that I question a lot of things with regards what I have my faith in. It is something that I really struggled with, and hearing that story today has kinda brought that back.

Going playing random games on the interwebzto try and clear my head

Hospital appointment in the morning with a different surgeon, hopefully will be able to get my knee fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Major cuddles rebel girl. Take a personal day tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Super hugs for rebel! xx I lost my grandfather nearly 7 years ago and I still cry when I think of him. You should be proud of visiting the grave, people don't realise just how hard that can be.

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Newsroom, it's brilliant. Has that amazing energy that the West Wing and Studio 60 had. I loves Aaron Sorkin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Albection wrote: »
    Can I get a copy of that list?

I has a confused. :o

~~~

Saw the new Spider-man last night. I really liked it. :D
    Ella Bella wrote: »
    Some people might not want others to know tho.

I used to mod here and I've no idea who I knew that is now different :)

Finally managed to compose myself - think its a combination of a lot of things that just hit. Tiredness really doesn't help, was up until about 4ish last night with a bad stomach.

Managed to get through the graveyard visit today - saw this man with a fold up chair there in front of a grave, thought it might have been his wife's grave he was visiting, obvious that it was a fairly new grave, but got the full story from my uncle later on. Turns out he was visiting his 14 year old son's grave - son had been complaining of headaches and didn't like school at all, so parents were walking him to school to make sure, thinking that the headaches were because he did not like school, turned out his headaches were being caused by a brain tumour, they operated, but could only take out some of it, the rest was inoperable, and he passed away at home. Feel so sorry for his parents - I know that all losses are hard at first, but I can live in the knowledge that my grandmother had a chance at life, lived her life and was stubborn right up until the end. It times like when I hear that story about that child, or my friend who was killed in a road accident that I question a lot of things with regards what I have my faith in. It is something that I really struggled with, and hearing that story today has kinda brought that back.

Going playing random games on the interwebzto try and clear my head

Hospital appointment in the morning with a different surgeon, hopefully will be able to get my knee fixed!

It's a tough station, not my son but my dad, I work as a trainer, and in my break when he was terminally ill, it was day to day, my mother told me he had hours to live.

I knew he was terminal and had even sat down with my boss to figure out when and how they could get cover.

This was in the middle of a course.

The students were told the situation, my colleagues were incredibly good (if I leave my current job, I will never forget them as a result) and I got to spend very very precious time with my Dad. When he died I was very upset, but glad his suffering was finished. He got diagnosed five years before he died, and I've never visited his grave, I don't want to , I want to remember the man who a few days before he died was still sports mad, and concerned about his family.

I guess I'm just afraid to admit he's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Same as yourself and Rebel Girl, Stheno, I was torn apart inside, I still am, when my boyfriend's dad passed away but I was so glad that his suffering had ended. It's only been 9 months and sometimes I still wake up in the night and think I can hear him calling us to help him up off the floor after falling out of bed or falling over when getting up to go to the loo.

Visiting his grave for the first time was very hard and it still is. It's hard to be so close to the person you remember but know they're not really there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Went out, drank too much, danced and sent some rather questionable text messages. All in all, I had a good time last night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

One of my best friends from school died of a heart attack in the November of our first year in college, so its nearly three years ago now. I think about her nearly every day, but I've only been to the grave once since the funeral. I know she's gone, but the one time I did visit the grave, I had nightmares and couldn't sleep properly for weeks after it - I still get upset about her.

It never goes away but it does get a bit easier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same as yourself and Rebel Girl, Stheno, I was torn apart inside, I still am, when my boyfriend's dad passed away but I was so glad that his suffering had ended. It's only been 9 months and sometimes I still wake up in the night and think I can hear him calling us to help him up off the floor after falling out of bed or falling over when getting up to go to the loo.

Visiting his grave for the first time was very hard and it still is. It's hard to be so close to the person you remember but know they're not really there.
    One of my best friends from school died of a heart attack in the November of our first year in college, so its nearly three years ago now. I think about her nearly every day, but I've only been to the grave once since the funeral. I know she's gone, but the one time I did visit the grave, I had nightmares and couldn't sleep properly for weeks after it - I still get upset about her.

It never goes away but it does get a bit easier.

I cannot imagine visiting my fathers grave, he is alive in my dreams, and i still have nightmare about him dying when he was in hospital, I'm on a waiting list for counseselling about it.

My family are waiting until the grave has "settled" to put up stone etc and I will visit then for now I'm just lost.I've lost my Dad whom I loved to bits and I just don't know how to grieve. It was his birthday last week so I rang my mum to chat and it was goodl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Stheno wrote: »
    I've lost my Dad whom I loved to bits and I just don't know how to grieve.
    Stheno, people grieve in different ways. And at different times. You think your "over" the worst of it at times and then it comes and hits you like a train when you least expect it. The only advice I can give you, as someone who lost my closest sibling 1.5 years ago, is be kind to yourself. Don't push yourself to be/do what other people expect you to. You are going through this pain your own way. You need to go through it and feel it to get to the other side. grief is very individual. And I know I never believed it would get easier, but it does with time. The pain eases and you are able to remember and smile, not cry. You will get to that place. When is anyone's guess but you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The only death I've ever had personally close to me was a miscarriage which is a whole other kind of grief. It's absolutely petrifies me to think my grandparents aren't going to live forever and that all the people in my life aren't invincible. I'm 20 and the only deaths I've seen are peripheral, secondary characters if you will. Death scares the cap out of me.

I tell people I'm so afraid of getting stung by a bee/wasp is because it's never happened me before so I don't know how bad it is or what to expect. I think of death the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yeah we're still waiting to finish my boyfriend's dad's grave. The earth still hasn't fallen enough. His dad is in beside his mum though so there is an actual headstone and marble trim around the grave itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Drank a full bottle of Buck Fizz and chilled with the sister :) Tomorrow I am FINALLY going to see the new Batman movie :D Time for beddy bye.. night ladies :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Goodnight, OakeyDokey!
    Hope you enjoy the film tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Hey ladies, mind if I join you? :D

I'm feeling down today. I broke off a quasi-LDR with a guy I'd been with for 2 months. We weren't right for each other and we weren't going to see each other again for a considerable amount of time, but I'm still sad about it. :(

Also embarrassed, because I posted this in the completely wrong thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Hey ladies, mind if I join you? :D

I'm feeling down today. I broke off a quasi-LDR with a guy I'd been with for 2 months. We weren't right for each other and we weren't going to see each other again for a considerable amount of time, but I'm still sad about it. :(

Also embarrassed, because I posted this in the completely wrong thread!

welcome along, join in if you like:)

sorry you're feeling down, *hugs*

Welcome to the thread sunshine and showers. :)

I also has a bit of a sad but it's because I feel guilty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

sillymoo wrote: »
    Stheno, people grieve in different ways. And at different times. You think your "over" the worst of it at times and then it comes and hits you like a train when you least expect it. The only advice I can give you, as someone who lost my closest sibling 1.5 years ago, is be kind to yourself. Don't push yourself to be/do what other people expect you to. You are going through this pain your own way. You need to go through it and feel it to get to the other side. grief is very individual. And I know I never believed it would get easier, but it does with time. The pain eases and you are able to remember and smile, not cry. You will get to that place. When is anyone's guess but you will get there.

This is exactly how I feel - it took me nearly five years to deal with the death of my grandfather, to accept he was gone. I found it hard to talk to anyone, I wasn't close to people at that stage that I felt comfortable talking to.

When my friend died earlier this year, the funeral was the Sunday, and I remember talking to a colleague who I'd be close to, I was in the office trying to get my project work done, and I found her after her study session and ended up in bits, bottling it up ended with it exploding. I spoke to someone else I got close to, and it helped

You will find a coping place - the pain never goes, but it becomes bearable - you need to keep talking - going to counselling will help - I did think about going, but decided against it, went as far as getting a phone number for one. Remember, lot of posters here are a pm away, me included. Don't ever feel alone Stheno, or any other poster here.

Great post sillymoo, nothing I can add - its all there

• Advertisement

I woke up and thought it was Sunday :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement