Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

cynder wrote: »
    All those tanned, waxed torsos, sweet dreams tonight..... :)

I prefer a man with hair myself... and lots of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

WinterSong wrote: »
    Same here :( I'm also trying to get used to the idea that even if everything somehow goes as I'd like it to I'll probably be living off beans on toast until I'm 50 :pac:

Im convinced ill be single and living with my parents forever in the same room i grew up in when really all i want to do is have a decent job and live in Dublin or anywhere that isnt here!!

I sound like a complete nutjob :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Ilyana wrote: »
    I think everyone assumes that third level training will lead to a job in one's chosen field but I guess it isn't always the case. I went into a degree for a dwindling industry but it's what I wanted to study, I'll just have to make the best of it!

As for working with the public, I hate it. I like my colleagues and the comraderie but the customers themselves can make me want to jack the whole thing in. I do think everyone should experience it at some point in their lives though. To learn how crap it is if nothing else!

There was a brilliant post in Cries of Retail ages ago about how (I think) awkward customers should be sentenced to serve various amounts of time in different minimum-wage jobs to see how staff are treated...can't seem to find it though.

Edit: found it but not sure if I can quote from R&R outside of it so won't. It was about the person who came up with "the customer is always right", not actually customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Thanks girls, used to being laid up, but not used to feeling so crap and tired - dunno whether to try and get some sleep and hopefully feel a bit better, or to try and ride it out and sleep later. Hope I'm not after coming down with something else on top of everything else

I know what you mean. For the first 2 months I was getting knocked out all the time from all the tablets but I still couldn't sleep properly at night, between pain and worry. Since I started proper work with the physio in the gym I'm wrecked when I get home, so drowsy during the day but then at night I just can't sleep.

It also doesn't help that I'm chasing down the stupid garda handling the file for the last 2 weeks at stupid times of the day and she never returns my calls. She's on tonight after 11pm so fingers crossed I manage to get in touch with her. I don't know what I'll do if your man that hit me doesn't get prosecuted. I know he'll probably only get some lenient punishment.

I keep having a dream that I get hit over and over again at the same junction and the guy is standing at the door of his van laughing at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

All this talk of retail and college reeeeally makes me hope I get one of these courses I've applied for. I loved running my store but I really don't want to do it again. And no one seems to want to hire a qualified drama teacher with no interest in teaching drama....
    Hopefully I'll hear back soon... I hate waiting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

What course have you applied for bubblefett?

And pixiebean, that's awful, it must be so hard to recover and get on with things physically and mentally if you keep having dreams about it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Im convinced ill be single and living with my parents forever in the same room i grew up in when really all i want to do is have a decent job and live in Dublin or anywhere that isnt here!!
    You and me both, Pixie. You and me both. *sobs theatrically*

That's awful Pixiebean, I was in a horrible car crash a few years ago and got nasty nightmares after. It's not easy at all, my heart goes out to you completely. And the stress of chasing down garda isn't going to help! I hope you get in touch with her tonight.

Confusticated, I applied for one in entrepreneurship, one in computer game developement and one in sales coaching. Going demeneted waiting on word back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I know what you mean. For the first 2 months I was getting knocked out all the time from all the tablets but I still couldn't sleep properly at night, between pain and worry. Since I started proper work with the physio in the gym I'm wrecked when I get home, so drowsy during the day but then at night I just can't sleep.

I only took the tablets last night - haven't had any proper food today, so not going to take them till tomorrow when I have some proper food! That recurring dream is nasty, hope things settle down for you

Watching Chloe Magee in the badminton - brother and gf have arrived, think they are cleaning up the kitchen - FINALLY!! Think she may be staying the night :rolleyes:

That film Sleepers is on. I hate that film. Can't watch Kevin Bacon in anything since I saw that film.

Finally going to see The Dark Knight Rises tomorrow night. We are usually opening night attendees and we were meant to go last week but there was loads of crap going on so we put it off. Cinema will probably be empty tomorrow :P

• Advertisement

I much prefer empty cinemas, I love having no one anywhere around me. I've a very large personal bubble. The boyfriend is lucky to be allowed sit beside.

Normally I do too but for big films like this I like the atmosphere of watching with other very excited people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

bubblefett wrote: »
    I much prefer empty cinemas, I love having no one anywhere around me. I've a very lasrge personal bubble. The boyfriend is lucky to be allowed sit beside.

Me too! The cinema in Athlone is really cheap and I went in and saw a good few films by myself while I was there in college and sometimes when I had time to kill waiting for buses to see bf. A lot of people think I'm weird doing that but it's just much more comfy. :)

Ah yeah I get that. I think big releases lost their magic for me after 5 years working in a video shop and having people appeal to me "please don't make me work Twilight release day!" :pac: I just began to see big film releases as busy working days in the future. Gradually getting the film love back though :)

Jane, I get that- I've never seen a film alone but I don't judge anyone who does,. Hell I'm considering going to a few plays myself in the future cause the boyfriend is a theatrephobe and my artsy friends are all living abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Polloloca wrote: »
    Really really tired this morning. Keep grinding my teeth while I sleep. I am afraid Ill wake up some morning with no teeth and a pile of dust on the pillow.

I do this. Dentist gave me a lower jaw teeth protector to wear at night. Charged me €100 for it tho!

Ah yeah I get that. I think big releases lost their magic for me after 5 years working in a video shop and having people appeal to me "please don't make me work Twilight release day!" :pac: I just began to see big film releases as busy working days in the future. Gradually getting the film love back though :)

Jane, I get that- I've never seen a film alone but I don't judge anyone who does,. Hell I'm considering going to a few plays myself in the future cause the boyfriend is a theatrephobe and my artsy friends are all living abroad.

Yeah I've gotten "What?? You can go to the cinema alone and not feel like a loser?? Fair play to you..!" I don't mind going with people, I just don't like it when it's really crowded. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've been to the theatre on my own a few times. It's grand. I actually prefer it than dragging alone friends who aren't so into the theatre because then I just sit there worried if they're enjoying it. I would love theatre friends though, because the few times I've gone with someone actually interested in the show it's been great sitting down and talking about it over a few drinks. Much more so than talking about a film.

i wouldnt mind seeing some good plays
    havent been in forever

Trying to write more of my possible novel. Trying to portray my main female protagonist's last relationship as an abject failure but currently drawing blanks.
    Can anyone help?
    Here's what I've written so far:
    “That’s good.” Aunt Jackie sounds indifferent and I can tell she’s only asked out of familial obligation. An awkward silence falls between us and I can’t help but grit my teeth. Sensing the tension, Aunt Jackie turns her back to me and begins rummaging through the wardrobe.

“So... still single, are we?” she pipes up, sounding notably perkier. I blanche, uncomfortable at the thought of discussing my personal life with her.

“Not for want of trying...” I sigh, grimacing at the subject. Boyfriends were a topic of contension, one to spit at and curse whilst in the company of a merry band of bitchy homosexuals after one too many shots of tequila. My last conquest, a self-professed “tortured artist”, had tried to get me to co-habitate , promising the whole package of a white picket fence, a menagerie of cats and two point four children.

Feck off, writer's block.

that doesnt sound like a failure, more like an ok promise
    how about something more like the last one turned out to have 5 women on the go, or the last one turned out gay, or the last one said he wanted to go out with me but was uninterested in anything other than having me as his nude model and after appearing naked on the side of a bus i decided to call that one quits

also it's blanch and contention, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Heading to bed - plans for tomorrow may be scuppered, but sort something in the morning - night everyone!

bluewolf wrote: »
    how about something more like the last one turned out to have 5 women on the go, or the last one turned out gay, or the last one said he wanted to go out with me but was uninterested in anything other than having me as his nude model and after appearing naked on the side of a bus i decided to call that one quits

beat me to it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Working on Tuesday, ohhhh yeahhhh :cool: :D

The only thing is that I have a serious amount of things to get done tomorrow when I thought that I had tomorrow and Tuesday to get them done (things I have to have completed before we run out of July :pac:) so I'll be running around like crazy, I do love to be busy though so it'll be fun :)

bluewolf wrote: »

Okay, how about this?
    I was almost tempted to take him up on the offer but as it turned out, he offered the same to six other women, two men and a transsexual named Shaniqua who, funnily enough, helped me out of the mire of his betrayal by acting as a shoulder to cry on and supplier of the afforementioned tequila.

Just rang the stupid garda there. She's only just sent the file to her superintendent, who then has to decide whether your man that hit me will be prosecuted. They only have 6 months to prosecute, it's now 4 months since my accident, HURRY UP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I had a massive lie in this morning and now I can't get to sleep.

Gonna be moany in the morning - nothing knew there though :P

I'm going to maked spinach and ricotta cannelloni during the week. Should be interesting to see how I handle piping the spinach filling into the pasta tubes now that I'm on anti-psychotics... last time I made it, I nearly threw the bag out of the window.
    Why must piping be so HARD?!
    In other news, I finally got Photoshop. Going to reaquint myself with digital drawing and hopefully get back into doing comic art. Still need to pick up a hand manniquin though. Wish they made ones for feet as hands and feet are things I struggle with. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

McChubbin wrote: »
    I'm going to maked spinach and ricotta cannelloni during the week. /

Nom nom nom! Sounds delish! I cannot wait for next year when I don't live in a student houseshare and have money and can cook again. Everyday I am looking up recipes :D

Ugh I am an emotional wreck. This is what happens when I stay in all weekend to work on papers, which aren't going so well anyway >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Nom nom nom! Sounds delish! I cannot wait for next year when I don't live in a student houseshare and have money and can cook again. Everyday I am looking up recipes :D

Yeah, I was planning on making tasty noms today. Instead, yet again I didn't get to sleep until it was really bright outside, I slept all day, and woke up and got a takeaway. If I manage to get some sleep before work tomorrow, I'll buy my stuff in the English Market and cook tomorrow.

I have a feeling though I'll be up all night again and pass out straight after work tomorrow. :(

• Advertisement

I usually bring my mp3 player and a little speaker into the bathroom when I have a shower. I won't like, this song is going to be absolutely belted out in the morning! Apologies to my neighbours.. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement