Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

68 pages since sunday :O

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Kiera wrote: »
    Awww it makes me teary with pride hearing the fans sing after that disaster :(
    I was just thinking the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I think the question WN posed is a fair one though. There are too many companies taking advantage of the internship scheme either abusing it for free labour and/or working the employee to the bone for the crap money they're paying. And I think these companies should be open about answering the question. If they've nothing to hide and they're being legitimate then why not? It's the same as asking "why did the person I am replacing leave?" and I think that's a fair question.

I mean it says it all when Tesco tried to get some jobbridge action. It actually went as far as advertising the jobs, they shouldn't even have gotten that far. The system is too flawed and too open to abuse for a lot of people to have any faith in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I'm just querying the op that was "ask them why they won't pay". I don't feel it's a great attitude, it doesn't have to be a them against us situation

Well, if a company has a vacancy, but choose taking on an intern that they don't have to pay for rather than paying an actual wage for an employee, my first question would always be why. If it's a case of them not being able to afford to pay anyone, that's fine, it's a win-win and they'd probably be decent to work for. If they could afford to pay a wage, but opt not to just because they can, then I'd be concerned for anyone going to work for nothing for that employer, as they'd be taken advantage of.

That's why I would ask, to find out why. It would be a genuine question, not a cynical rhetorical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Kiera wrote: »
    Awww it makes me teary with pride hearing the fans sing after that disaster :(

That's the irish spirit, it's not over till the fat lady sings and even then, we join in and get plastered....

It's all over now....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

1294304891224770.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't know why, but soccer (or do we call it football?) stirs absolutely no emotion in me whatsoever. Give me GAA any day of the week.

Novella wrote: »
    I don't know why, but soccer (or do we call it football?) stirs absolutely no emotion in me whatsoever. Give me GAA any day of the week.

Rugby! :p

I dont watch many sports, NFL is good if you know the rules but really dragged out, ice hockey is a fantastic sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Well, if a company has a vacancy, but choose taking on an intern that they don't have to pay for rather than paying an actual wage for an employee, my first question would always be why. If it's a case of them not being able to afford to pay anyone, that's fine, it's a win-win and they'd probably be decent to work for. If they could afford to pay a wage, but opt not to just because they can, then I'd be concerned for anyone going to work for nothing for that employer, as they'd be taken advantage of.

That's why I would ask, to find out why. It would be a genuine question, not a cynical rhetorical one.

Yeah fair enough, I didn't/wouldn't ask it in my interview as I know my industry is struggling. I trusted my employers and in my case have been incredibly lucky as they have been very good to me(and I've got a very good permanent job out of it). I work very hard for them (by my own choice) and also am in a much better place than before christmas when I was really struggling to see the point in getting out of bed.

I'm probably a bit sensitive to the jobbridge argument as I get the whole "It's slave labor" bollix thrown at me any time someone finds out I'm on one. I just wanted to quietly point out it's not all bad. And it does actually work for some.

On a side note, there was a tissue in the washing machine and the whole wash had come out with bits of it all over. I fvcking hate when that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

All sports bore me to death, all of them.

Acoshla wrote: »
    All sports bore me to death, all of them.

even curling? :pac:

On an un-sports related note, I always dip my hair into my food/drink. I don't know what's wrong with me. I should shave my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

krudler wrote: »
    even curling? :pac:

All of them! :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

O_o
    On an un-sports related note, I always dip my hair into my food/drink. I don't know what's wrong with me. I should shave my head.

O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

krudler wrote: »

I dont watch many sports, NFL is good if you know the rules but really dragged out, ice hockey is a fantastic sport.

Cant wait for the hurling to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm just querying the op that was "ask them why they won't pay". I don't feel it's a great attitude, it doesn't have to be a them against us situation Only Jane knows if college V's internship suits her.

I'm on one at the moment that I am making into a permanent job, I know of two others as well who are it and getting on well. There are some sh!t ones of course but there sh!t real jobs as well.

Even if it's not a great job it can at least get some people up and out into the working world. I found being on the dole completely soul destroying, not feeling part of society.

To be perfectly honest I think the experience I could possibly gain on this internship would be great for my CV. A lot of vet nursing jobs ask for grooming experience as well as the vet nursing degree. Even if I don't get a job out of this if I even get it, I can always go for college next year. Being out and working and talking to people is part of my decision too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I always spill my food/drink on my top at least once a day, I seem to have a habit of missing my mouth. I blame it on my short attention span, I think I forget I'm eating/drinking. I've taken to wearing old jumpers when I'm having my dinner to act like a bib :o

O_o

Okay, on the whole soccer thing - I just don't get. It's a game that goes on for 90 minutes and I mean, sometimes nobody even scores. What the hell is the deal with that? I like GAA better 'cause I find it more exciting. Scores come way more freely, it seems to move faster and it holds my interest. Soccer is just like a few guys kicking a ball around for aaaaaaages. That's just what I think. I understand other people like it and that's cool.
    O_o

I can't explain the hair thing. I'm messy!

• Advertisement

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest I think the experience I could possibly gain on this internship would be great for my CV. A lot of vet nursing jobs ask for grooming experience as well as the vet nursing degree. Even if I don't get a job out of this if I even get it, I can always go for college next year. Being out and working and talking to people is part of my decision too though.

it would look great on your c.v,Just Don't let them use you though or take advantage of you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ffefabe5.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Problems with jobbridge;

Joke internships like houskeeping in hotels, warehouse assistant, stocktaker, call centre etc
    Office admin jobs asking for degrees and postgrads
    Employers taking advantage and working people to the bone, people being too afraid to question it because they rely on the extra money
    Employers and interns not being up on entitlements. Interns are meant to be cointinuing to apply for jobs while on internship. Employers HAVE to let them out for interviews, even if they have 10 in one week the employer HAS to let the intern go to these
    Employers seeing it as free labour and replacing paid staff
    Internships are clearly not being screened
    Too many internships that will get people no where
    Government organisations with employment embargo's taking on numerous interns. In many cases these staff members are badly, badly needed and are replacing paid staff.

Benefits;
    Experience from decent internships who train properly
    Giving people a reason to get out of bed in the morning
    Struggling businesses or even new businesses get the benefit of getting good staff in for free. That staff member could save the company and end up helping create paid employment for themselves and others
    Employers get to put people on 'trial' before taking them on. Could be of real benefit to people who don't interview well and can't waffle/lie/talk crap in an interview and end up showing their worth when they get the role and end up with a job out of it

Jobbridge has many, many, many flaws. Problem is many social welfare and FÁS staff are very, very bad at their jobs which doesn't help this scheme...

Okay, on the whole soccer thing - I just don't get. It's a game that goes on for 90 minutes and I mean, sometimes nobody even scores. What the hell is the deal with that? I like GAA better 'cause I find it more exciting. Scores come way more freely, it seems to move faster and it holds my interest. Soccer is just like a few guys kicking a ball around for aaaaaaages. That's just what I think. I understand other people like it and that's cool.

I can't explain the hair thing. I'm messy!

ah I see................:pac:

that apres match at the end there was brilliant :D

I always spill my food/drink on my top at least once a day, I seem to have a habit of missing my mouth. I blame it on my short attention span, I think I forget I'm eating/drinking. I've taken to wearing old jumpers when I'm having my dinner to act like a bib :o

Last night I was in the cinema, eating popcorn, got a little thirsty. A normal person would pick up the drink and just sip out of the straw. I, for some reason, decided to tilt the drink and just poured about half of it right down my top. It was Fanta so it's sticky and the ends of my hair got all wet and stuck together.

Seriously, if a guy ever tried to run his fingers through my hair... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I've often gone to take a sip of a pint and tilted the glass before it has reached my face, thereby throwing a load of beer all over myself. I genuinely think I talk too much and think too little in the pub :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Jeez I'm having doubts about it now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Last night I was in the cinema, eating popcorn, got a little thirsty. A normal person would pick up the drink and just sip out of the straw. I, for some reason, decided to tilt the drink and just poured about half of it right down my top. It was Fanta so it's sticky and the ends of my hair got all wet and stuck together.

Seriously, if a guy ever tried to run his fingers through my hair... :o

Popcorn down the cleavage, the main reason why I miss a good chunk of most movies I go to see.

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Jeez I'm having doubts about it now. :(

Just get all the information, weigh up the options, and go with whatever you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm the opposite!

Football (soccer) is about intelligence. 0-0 can be fantastic if it's played correctly. Of course the diving is ridiculous.

For me, gaelic has gone to the dogs. The amount of wides is unbelievable due to players competing to see who can kick it the highest and the whole, "I must punch the opposition player to get the ball off him to take my free" is just pathetic. In my opinion, there just isn't the same intelligence or cleverness in the game at all. Hand passing has also ruined the game. Where's the fun in hand passing it out from the back? Where's the skill in that?

Hurling is class though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement