Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

EmilyO wrote: »
    All this death talk is sad. My grandad is waiting on cancer test results at the moment, I really hope they come back negative. He's 69, so not very old, which I hope is a good thing. I'm not going to get upset about it unless the results say he has it, but is still :(

My Grandad got cancer when he was that age.

And now he's better.

So try not to worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Novella wrote: »
    Job interview. Job interview. Job interview. PLEASE GIVES ME FULL TIME JOB!

Must remember not to eat or drink before it. Half of breakfast on self is not a professional look. :pac:
    Im not too sure how the interview went but they are letting me know later on!

Best of luck to both of you! :D

Met a boardsie today randomly. Met one of the mods of the Laois forum Aquila while I was in the LSPCA shop. :D

Edit: EmilyO, I hope your grandad will be okay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

coco_lola wrote: »
    I keep realising just how many Disney movies I haven't seen - My grandmother sent me a Disney video (I'm old) for every special occasion and I still have them all at home, but mostly the classics, I haven't seen a lot of the newer ones!

Tangled is on my list.

Two words for your pic: Twit twoo ;)

Kiera wrote: »
    Al's below you there ;)
    :eek:
    awec wrote: »
    Diiiiiirty. :)

are you following me just to post that now? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

EmilyO wrote: »
    Went to Waterford today with my boyfriend. Weather was shite so it wasn't much fun. But I think I'm going to buy the Samsung SII tonight :)

great phone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

fluffy socks <3:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Two words for your pic: Twit twoo ;)

Ah shucks, are you flirting with me Kiera? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

There's a show on TV3 called "Kids Out of Control". It really should be re-named "Shít Parents Who Stop Giving A Shít About Their Kids' Feelings When They're In A New Relationship And Then Wonder Why They Throw A Strop When They Get Re-Married". :mad:

coco_lola wrote: »
    Ah shucks, are you flirting with me Kiera? :P

Eh always! You'd have to have no pulse for me not to flirt with you (as in everyone in general) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

great phone!

Yeah apparently, it's about time I dipped my toe into the smartphone market! My bf is telling me to go into the Meteor store to get it cheaper rather than buying online (I have to switch from Pay As You Go to bill pay), but I won't get to a shop for a while, and I'm too impatient!
    Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    EmilyO, I hope your grandad will be okay. :)

Thanks Jane :)
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    My Grandad got cancer when he was that age.

And now he's better.

So try not to worry :)

I'm glad your grandad is okay :) I'm not too worried yet, it's just a shock when you realise that the people you love are not superhuman!

• Advertisement

Eh always! You'd have to have no pulse for me not to flirt with you (as in everyone in general) :D

You never flirt with me :(

You never flirt with me :(

You need to up your dirty!

You need to up your dirty!

Ooh errr missus ;)

Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

It's making me feel a bit sad as well that so many of you had dads who were a bit rubbish. Mine is fantastic. Always has been but since my mum died when I was 16 he's been even more fantastic, always there for me and we're very close. He's great craic as well.

/runs off to ring Daddypootie and tell him he's awesome :)

sure i grew up with my mum, uncle, grandparents and a host of relatives spoiling me
    i never wanted for spoiling or affection! don't be sad!
    :)

I'm sitting here happily trying to decide my third piece for the singing exam, grade 7... I still can't believe I'm on g7 already
    I might do this one as a contrast to the opera aria

though I love schubert

oh this is gorgeous too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pampootie wrote: »

awwww :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah don’t feel sorry for me. My Nana and Grandad raised me from 3months and I was one lucky little girl with lots of love. My real Mam (who I grew up thinking was my sister) was young and my Nana wanted her to finish her nursing so they both raised me and I grew up thinking they were my Mam and Dad until I was 12 (when they told me). I was legally adopted when I was 17 :)

Stories about Dads make me sad in general. I suppose I'm not fully over mine being rubbish.

There's a song, Dinner at Eight, by Rufus Wainwright (who didn't get along with his Dad when he was younger, I think they might be reconciled now) that actually gets me crying every time I hear it, and it's purely the lyrics.
    Why is it so
    That I've always been the one who must go
    That I've always been the one told to flee
    When it fact you were the one, long ago
    Actually in the drifting white snow
    You left me

So put up your fists and I'll put up mine
    No running away from the scene of the crime
    God's chosen a place
    Somewhere near the end of the world
    Somewhere near the end of our lives

But 'til then no, Daddy, don't be surprised
    If I wanna see the tears in your eyes
    Then I know it had to be long ago
    Actually in the drifting white snow
    You loved me

And on to happier subjects
    krudler wrote: »
    watch Tangled, tis funny

Tangled is fabulous. It has one of the best female characters ever in Disney, as well as the funniest horse in history.

I'd also recommend The Princess and the Frog. It's lush, and funny and has a proper friendship between two girls. And the songs! Go, go and watch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You can't have a singing exam without some Schubert, Bluewolf. He's the King of Song :P

You can't have a singing exam without some Schubert, Bluewolf. He's the King of Song :P

I know, I pounced on the schubert, but I'm doing "voi che sapete" and I reckon I need some contrast!
    I might just learn that one on the side. the piano part is amazing!
    apparently it's a quintet and that's one of the movts, will have to look it up...

pampootie wrote: »
    It's making me feel a bit sad as well that so many of you had dads who were a bit rubbish. Mine is fantastic. Always has been but since my mum died when I was 16 he's been even more fantastic, always there for me and we're very close. He's great craic as well.

Awwww. Tell him how awesome he is everyday. That's what i do to Mam even tho she tells me "its my job". :)

Good parents are the shít and need to be told it everyday even if we take them for granted. I wanna be just like them when i grow up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I feel very fortunate to have a wonderful dad in my life. He'd do anything for my mum, sister and I. We're very alike (i.e. stubborn as mules) and I tell him nearly everything - and I'm not the most open of people. He's just wuvly!

My mum is awesome too. And my sister, although we'd never tell each other that.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I know, I pounced on the schubert, but I'm doing "voi che sapete" and I reckon I need some contrast!
    I might just learn that one on the side. the piano part is amazing!
    apparently it's a quintet and that's one of the movts, will have to look it up...

Are you with ABRSM? If so I'm guessing Schubert is the B list piece. An alternative to him might be some Beethoven or Brahms. Possibly Schumann, though some of his output from his Year of Song is quite weak.

Of course, you could change your other list pieces to fit in Schubert :P No-one else quite had the same affinity for song like he did. With the possible exception of my dear JS Bach (much love <3 ) :D

My dad hasn't been the greatest dad either. Things have improved a bit over the last few years, but I've accepted that I just don't have the kind of relationship with him that other people do. But I know now that it's not my fault.

I'm always uncomfortable buying cards or gifts for him, though. It feels like an empty gesture (well, it kind of is). If there was a card that said "here's a father's day card, because you're my father so I have to" it would be perfect. Those mushy "to the best dad ever!" cards aren't appropriate in a lot of cases, unfortunately.

Are you with ABRSM? If so I'm guessing Schubert is the B list piece. An alternative to him might be some Beethoven or Brahms. Possibly Schumann, though some of his output from his Year of Song is quite weak.

Of course, you could change your other list pieces to fit in Schubert :P No-one else quite had the same affinity for song like he did. With the possible exception of my dear JS Bach (much love <3 ) :D

Nope RIAM, but schubert is the B list.
    It's weird, because Amarilli and Das Veilchen were on RIAM grade 6 and ABRSM grade 7. :confused: I always went through ABRSM for my instruments & theory, and thought they were supposed to be harder!

There is not a chance in hell I'm giving up the mozart! it's OPERA! I LOVE it!!! :pac:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYMqxVyoFE

Oh lordy I hate the brahms options on this syllabus. :o
    like him on the piano, but not on this...

I ADORE bach. I'm doing prelude 4 from the cello suites at the moment :)
    I loved one of the cantatas I heard of his before

here is list B:
    LIST B
    Schubert Die Forelle The Lieder Anthology, high and low (Hal Leonard
    740219)
    Schubert Litanei high, medium, low (Peters)
    Schubert An die Musik The Lieder Anthology, low (Hal Leonard 742019)
    Brahms Vergebliches Ständchen (soprano / mezzo) The Lieder Anthology,
    high and low (Peters)
    Brahms Feldeinsamkeit Brahms Lieder book 1, high and low (Peters)
    Gounod Sérénade (soprano) Charles Gounod: 11 Mélodies, high and
    medium (Editions Henry Lemoine 26756 / 26755)
    Fauré Chanson d’Amour The French Song Anthology [high and low] (Hal
    Leonard 740163)
    R Hahn L’heure exquise (Chansons Grises) French Art Songs of the
    Nineteenth century (Dover) or Twelve Songs (IMC)
    Quilter Love’s Philosophy (soprano / mezzo) A Heritage of Twentieth
    Century British Song, vol 4 (Boosey & Hawkes)
    Quilter Now sleeps the crimson petal (tenor / baritone) (Boosey &
    Hawkes)
    Vaughan The Vagabond (baritone) (Boosey & Hawkes)
    Williams
    B Marmion Brightcap (soprano / tenor) Chamber music (CMC)
    Funnily enough, there's actually 4 pieces from that I kind of like :eek:
    Usually I'm too picky to find more than one. And there's not a chance I'm singing 20thC/modern stuff :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Das Kitty wrote: »

Tangled is fabulous. It has one of the best female characters ever in Disney, as well as the funniest horse in history.

oblipost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

sure i grew up with my mum, uncle, grandparents and a host of relatives spoiling me
    i never wanted for spoiling or affection! don't be sad!
    :)

Yep I was spoilt rotten, was the only grandchild on my mum's side for 10 years so I was completely doted on by my aunts, uncles, grandad on that side and because I am awesome my uncles and Nan on my dad's side doted on me too :) Everybody on my Dad's side know that I'm her favourite out of ALL her grandkids and great grandkids, I'm special so I am :):p

Nope RIAM, but schubert is the B list.

There is not a chance in hell I'm giving up the mozart! it's OPERA! I LOVE it!!! :pac:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NYMqxVyoFE

Oh lordy I hate the brahms options on this syllabus. :o
    like him on the piano, but not on this...

I ADORE bach. I'm doing prelude 4 from the cello suites at the moment :)
    I loved one of the cantatas I heard of his before

I didn't think RIAM had lists! They certainly didn't for piano while I was still with them anyway. Fair enough, can't say I'm a Mozart fan (blasphemy!) but his opera is pretty damn good. :P

Brahms is hit and miss, admittedly. He also kind of sucked at writing final movements. It's like he used up all his good ideas in the earlier ones and then couldn't figure out how to make a satisfying conclusion to his work :pac:

Bach is just amazing. He has no rival. I cannot think of a single weak piece of his, and I'm familiar with nearly his entire output (I had a serious Bach obsession for about 3 years :D). Cello Suites are beautiful. Right now I'm learning a violin partita on the flute, and the entire Well-Tempered Clavier on piano, though that'll take a damn long time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i was raised in a house where showing your feelings and emotions were kinda frowned upon. It was the sort of family where everything was grand and you didnt show your feelings at all so when it came to all this Father and Mothers Day shíte me and my sister just did it for the sake of it!

In fairness to my dad, although we didnt talk emotionally, he was a great dad! We didnt have much growing up but he did his best to provide for us. And even though i didnt always have the newest toys and that, i was always grateful that my dad worked so hard for what we had!

Even now he is still doing such hard work to keep our heads above the water! And i really admire him for it!! :)

i feel a little weepy now :o

I didn't think RIAM had lists! They certainly didn't for piano while I was still with them anyway. Fair enough, can't say I'm a Mozart fan (blasphemy!) but his opera is pretty damn good. :P
    I wouldn't have said I was mad into Mozart - beethoven pls - but the operas are brill!
    Brahms is hit and miss, admittedly. He also kind of sucked at writing final movements. It's like he used up all his good ideas in the earlier ones and then couldn't figure out how to make a satisfying conclusion to his work :pac:
    lol
    :D
    Bach is just amazing. He has no rival. I cannot think of a single weak piece of his, and I'm familiar with nearly his entire output (I had a serious Bach obsession for about 3 years :D). Cello Suites are beautiful. Right now I'm learning a violin partita on the flute, and the entire Well-Tempered Clavier on piano, though that'll take a damn long time :P
    the flute! that's cool. Yeah, I love the suites. I've worked through the first three, mostly, and now I'm on 4. I can't see me hitting 6, it's a bit insane :pac:
    I wish I still had a piano, one day I will again! I miss hammering out some Rach :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Finished work - finally get to have a break :D Hope to God the weather picks up, gonna have to try and find my statue the child of Prague, was outside for a lot of work today, got soaked wet :(

Had a great evening with a friend, went shopping and to the cinema, love that we can really talk to each other.

Happy Friday everyone!!! :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement