Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said I was mad into Mozart - beethoven pls - but the operas are brill!

Ah Beethoven. My absolute favourite. Bach is better, but Beethoven is more relatable somehow :P Fidelio is a bit above Grade 7 though!
    lol
    :D

It's true and you know it! Andras Schiff pointed it out in one of his lectures about the Beethoven piano sonatas (you can download em all on the guardian website - highly recommend! They're really funny and interesting, even if the formal analysis is a bit shallow). As soon as he said it I knew it was true :P
    the flute! that's cool. Yeah, I love the suites. I've worked through the first three, mostly, and now I'm on 4. I can't see me hitting 6, it's a bit insane :pac:

It's alright. I prefer piano. I've been playing flute longer (over 10 years), but piano is my absolute favourite. Couldn't live without it :D:D:D
    I wish I still had a piano, one day I will again! I miss hammering out some Rach :cool:

Don't like Rach :o Bit sappy!

Ah Beethoven. My absolute favourite. Bach is better, but Beethoven is more relatable somehow :P Fidelio is a bit above Grade 7 though!
    I'm doing the piano and cello sonatas - well, I started them 7 years ago :rolleyes: you'd think I'd know them by now but I took a long break
    still, i absolutely adore the second one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO5DMjEq3I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2Q1YEssY8

my pianist friend and I have such fun playing them!! :D
    It's true and you know it! Andras Schiff pointed it out in one of his lectures about the Beethoven piano sonatas (you can download em all on the guardian website - highly recommend! They're really funny and interesting, even if the formal analysis is a bit shallow). As soon as he said it I knew it was true :P
    I will have to listen to the piano sonatas :o
    I don't know brahms massively well... I did one of his pieces years ago but that was it. On piano, I mean.
    It's alright. I prefer piano. I've been playing flute longer (over 10 years), but piano is my absolute favourite. Couldn't live without it :D:D:D
    I know, so many times I want to sit down and play something, even the Amelie music or something simple!

Don't like Rach :o Bit sappy!
    sappy??? how is the G# prelude sappy?? POW POW POW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Kiera wrote: »
    Awwww. Tell him how awesome he is everyday. That's what i do to Mam even tho she tells me "its my job". :)

Good parents are the shít and need to be told it everyday even if we take them for granted. I wanna be just like them when i grow up :)

I do tell him a lot. His response is always the same too-"ah thanks. do you need money or something?" :pac:

I really need to find somewhere to get my car cleaned tomorrow, it's disgusting and I always lose enthusiasm halfway through when I start doing it myself. It's like driving round in a bin at the moment, I feel like Oscar the Groutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I didn't think RIAM had lists! They certainly didn't for piano while I was still with them anyway. Fair enough, can't say I'm a Mozart fan (blasphemy!) but his opera is pretty damn good. :P

Brahms is hit and miss, admittedly. He also kind of sucked at writing final movements. It's like he used up all his good ideas in the earlier ones and then couldn't figure out how to make a satisfying conclusion to his work :pac:

Bach is just amazing. He has no rival. I cannot think of a single weak piece of his, and I'm familiar with nearly his entire output (I had a serious Bach obsession for about 3 years :D). Cello Suites are beautiful. Right now I'm learning a violin partita on the flute, and the entire Well-Tempered Clavier on piano, though that'll take a damn long time :P

I miss working HMV where I could listen to all the classical and film scores I wanted, I go in there now and they have dance and chart rubbish playing up in the speciality section :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

All this talk of dads makes me thankful for my dad, he's done a lot for me, including giving up a very good job abroad cause he thought he was missing too much of my childhood. He's the only one in my family that never lets me down.

Everyone else on his side of the family are horrible people though, I can't stand them.

• Advertisement

I'm doing the piano and cello sonatas - well, I started them 7 years ago :rolleyes: you'd think I'd know them by now but I took a long break
    still, i absolutely adore the second one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUO5DMjEq3I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2Q1YEssY8

my pianist friend and I have such fun playing them!! :D

I must learn some of those actually. I too have a cellist friend, but I'm not too sure what grade she's at these days. They might be a bit difficult for her right now. I think I'll ask her later :D
    I will have to listen to the piano sonatas :o

:eek: Oh I'm so jealous of you. You've such a wonderful treat ahead of you, listening to the piano sonatas for the first time! They're truly wonderful. You must listen to them ALL, but start with the biggies like Appassionata, Waldstein, Tempest and Les Adieux, and then some of my favourites like Op 26, Op 28, op 78 and op 90. Don't forget the final 3 - 109, 110 and 111. Those last 3 are the epitome of musical expression and life affirmation. Words cannot express how utterly sublime they are.
    I know, so many times I want to sit down and play something, even the Amelie music or something simple!

Go into Waltons and just play some of the pianos in there. They don't mind (though sometimes it's hard to hear yourself think let alone play if the shop is busy). Piano is too wonderful not to play at every opportunity :D
    sappy??? how is the G# prelude sappy?? POW POW POW!

Well of course there's exceptions. The 2nd concerto is a prime example :D I dunno, some composers you feel an affinity with and others you can respect but not love. For me, Rachmaninoff is one of those :o
    krudler wrote: »
    I miss working HMV where I could listen to all the classical and film scores I wanted, I go in there now and they have dance and chart rubbish playing up in the speciality section :rolleyes:

The classical section in HMV is piss poor these days. All "Greatest Works by X" boxsets, and impossible to find full recordings of individual works. Their film scores section is all but gone. Tower Records can be decent. I prefer to buy classical online, personally.

I must learn some of those actually. I too have a cellist friend, but I'm not too sure what grade she's at these days. They might be a bit difficult for her right now. I think I'll ask her later :D
    Oh yeah, I finished the grades 10 years ago, that's abrsm diploma level like. The first sonata is supposed to be easier
    I'm not doing well at practising my cello lately, I love it, but I should be doing an hour or two a day, not a week :rolleyes: so my new teacher probably thinks I'm useless... then I broke out the beethoven and she was like :eek:

shostakovich sonata movt 2 is about grade 8 level? fun for cello and piano
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAS1exdlqLM

:eek: Oh I'm so jealous of you. You've such a wonderful treat ahead of you, listening to the piano sonatas for the first time! They're truly wonderful. You must listen to them ALL, but start with the biggies like Appassionata, Waldstein, Tempest and Les Adieux, and then some of my favourites like Op 26, Op 28, op 78 and op 90. Don't forget the final 3 - 109, 110 and 111. Those last 3 are the epitome of musical expression and life affirmation. Words cannot express how utterly sublime they are.
    *notes* :D
    Go into Waltons and just play some of the pianos in there. They don't mind (though sometimes it's hard to hear yourself think let alone play if the shop is busy). Piano is too wonderful not to play at every opportunity :D
    I'm in their music school :D:D I should! hehe
    I'd want to play in private though, I'm so insanely rusty!

The classical section in HMV is piss poor these days. All "Greatest Works by X" boxsets, and impossible to find full recordings of individual works. Their film scores section is all but gone. Tower Records can be decent. I prefer to buy classical online, personally.
    I hate those "best of" stupid albums
    mediocre recordings by generic orchestra #20 from the back end of nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Question: You meet a really hot guy and swap numbers. After a week he tells you he lost half his leg and has a fake one. Would you care?

My answer: No, he's still super hot with an awesome personality.

Other people: ah will it stop you from having a normal relationship?

My answer: No, he's super hot and amazing.

LL answer:.....

can't imagine it would make much difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Would make no difference to me.

However I would have to warn him that he may not want to be with me because I'm so clumsy I'd probably do a Joey from Friends on it and throw his leg in the fire or something :eek:

• Advertisement

can't imagine it would make much difference

Me neither. I mean, i didnt notice it in the pub so its not like its a big deal? And its his lower leg not his middle leg?

Oh yeah, I finished the grades 10 years ago, that's abrsm diploma level like. The first sonata is supposed to be easier
    I'm not doing well at practising my cello lately, I love it, but I should be doing an hour or two a day, not a week :rolleyes: so my new teacher probably thinks I'm useless... then I broke out the beethoven and she was like :eek:

shostakovich sonata movt 2 is about grade 8 level? fun for cello and piano
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAS1exdlqLM

Nice one :D Have you been with your cello teacher long? Seems like she shouldn't be surprised you can play Beethoven if you have been :pac:. My piano teacher's funny though. On evenings I think I've played terribly she'll be like, "Oh that was brilliant!!" and other times I think I'm all in the zone and playing perfectly she'll get all nitpicky about every tiny little thing and say I'm not concentrating properly :pac: I'm nowhere near finished the grades with piano though. I suck at it, despite great love :P
    I'm in their music school :D:D I should! hehe
    I'd want to play in private though, I'm so insanely rusty!

Do! No one cares what you're doing. Most idiots people in there are too busy showing off to their mates to pay attention to ya :pac:
    I hate those "best of" stupid albums
    mediocre recordings by generic orchestra #20 from the back end of nowhere

They're awful. A pox on them!
    Question: You meet a really hot guy and swap numbers. After a week he tells you he lost half his leg and has a fake one. Would you care?

It's like that episode of Friends where Chander finds out yer one has a wooden leg :P It all depends on whether if bothers you or not I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

It shouldnt make any difference...if you like him go for it! And it sound like it isnt an issue for you so wheres the harm?! :)

Nice one :D Have you been with your cello teacher long? Seems like she shouldn't be surprised you can play Beethoven if you have been :pac:. My piano teacher's funny though. On evenings I think I've played terribly she'll be like, "Oh that was brilliant!!" and other times I think I'm all in the zone and playing perfectly she'll get all nitpicky about every tiny little thing and say I'm not concentrating properly :pac: I'm nowhere near finished the grades with piano though. I suck at it, despite great love :P
    No, I had my old teacher from age 7 to about 22 or 23. Then I had to stop playing for a while, and I've just had this new lady since september. It gets frustrating, I'm not back at the level I was, in a way, and I keep wanting to tell her "I'm better than this, I swear!"
    Yeah, I have those moments where I am tired and think I'm awful and she's like "oh that's great".
    I don't think she criticises my Bach interpretation enough; there are technical bad habits I've got into which she does, but my old teacher was obsessed with Bach, had every recording ever of his suites etc and an aul Romanian fella impossible to please - so I got used to that!
    We have very different tastes in music though... she was like "oh i don't really like sonatas, I love concertos" and I'm like errrmmm what about beethoven, lady :rolleyes:
    she doesn't know them
    I started this popper piece... it's LRSM level but I'm nearly there anyway sure, it's mad!! great fun though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F9TDRKiixg
    nobody seems to like it except me
    ONE day I will play elfentanz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzndvydB-ws

I did grade 6 on the piano when I was 13; I kept it up a bit on my own after that but with the LC a couple years later and then college, no time really :(
    I'll go back and do 8 sometime to have it done.

It's like that episode of Friends where Chander finds out yer one has a wooden leg :P It all depends on whether if bothers you or not I guess.
    Exactly what I thought of :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My boyfriend and I always used to watch an animated film on Saturday mornings (stems from when we were doing the long distance thing). We used to wake ourselves up about 8a.m. and make tea and watch a film in bed.

We're slowly trying to get back to normal after my accident so tomorrow morning we're going to wake up early and watch Tangled. Thanks for posting about it :D

And tomorrow night it's my friend's birthday so we're going for drinks and a house party - something we haven't done since the beginning of April because of my accident. I feel slightly more optimistic now things are slowly getting back to normal.

I'm still on crutches for another 4-5 weeks but I'm slowly getting used to putting more weight on my foot and re-training my leg to move and support me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I was thinking "Jesus! He lost his leg a week after you met? What happened??"
    As you said, he's super hot and amazing. Why should a leg injury effect that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

bubblefett wrote: »
    I was thinking "Jesus! He lost his leg a week after you met? What happened??"

That's what I thought.... and also, "How did they manage to amputate, test and fit a fake leg in a week" :eek::eek:

I rang him back and said " soooo you know how i told you i was really clumsy after breaking my leg and wrist within a year and everyone calls me opps a daisy? Well ya know that epesode in friends where he fúcks her leg in the fire? What if i do that?

And his reply: Well at least i can walk in puddles :D

Thinking i wuuuvs him <3

I'm a film score nerd so I hate all those "music from the movies of..." compilations, with some random orchestra that does terrible versions of film themes. there's nothing like the original recording of a film score, hate the watered down ones, sometimes you do get compilations where its just the original version from the score but its rare enough. I've heard many sh1tty versions of the Star Wars or Superman scores at this stage, I'll stick to my John Williams and London Symphony Orchestra originals thanks.

question for the classical fans in here, would you rate a film composer as being on the same level as a classical composer? I would, you can listen to a great score by a great composer and hear the various emotional and action beats play out in the notes of the music, its a rare talent.

Ya know, i didnt give a shít about the leg thing and after talking to you lot i give less of a shít now. There's a reason why you lot are my best buddies (internet style) x x x

• Advertisement

Krudler, yes although few match the technical proficency of the masters. We live in a unique era of music where everyone is their own composer. Mass media is to thank/blame. We will never again have a handful of composers who are known and revered throughout the world. You'll notice modern composers are something of a niche interest, even if they write in the style of the baroque/classical/romantic/impressionist etc eras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Das Kitty wrote: »

Tangled is fabulous. It has one of the best female characters ever in Disney, as well as the funniest horse in history.

DON'T FORGET PASCAL!!!!

I rang him back and said " soooo you know how i told you i was really clumsy after breaking my leg and wrist within a year and everyone calls me opps a daisy? Well ya know that epesode in friends where he fúcks her leg in the fire? What if i do that?

And his reply: Well at least i can walk in puddles :D

Thinking i wuuuvs him <3

He sounds friggin awesome :D

The question is..... is he durty enough for you?!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    DON'T FORGET PASCAL!!!!

He sounds friggin awesome :D

The question is..... is he durty enough for you?!

pffft thats a formality :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Haven't posted much lately...don't think I've posted in this thread at all actually! Had a crappy week, buried my friend on Thursday. Was meant to go to work afterwards but I just couldn't do it. Felt so drained and the thoughts of customers moaning about nothing when people just said goodbye to a 22 year old...:(
    I've week off work after tomorrow and I'm going to London on Tuesday so that'll keep me going.
    Hope everyone enjoys their weekends :)

Krudler, yes although few match the technical proficency of the masters. We live in a unique era of music where everyone is their own composer. Mass media is to thank/blame. We will never again have a handful of composers who are known and revered throughout the world. You'll notice modern composers are something of a niche interest, even if they write in the style of the baroque/classical/romantic/impressionist etc eras.

of the modern movie composers John Williams is probably the one that most people would know, his body of work is staggering and most people would know his most famous themes, Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, ET etc etc. (the man basically wrote the soundtrack to my childhood) then you'd have guys like Hans Zimmer, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, a few others who have done instantly recognisable themes that people would know but not necessarily where from. a lot of classical music is instantly recognisable but most people wouldnt know the name of the piece or the composer at all, but pieces become more associated with something like a film or ad, like the Blue Danube Waltz in 2001: A Space Odyssey or Carmina Burana? thats the Old Spice music :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Hurry up July so I can go travelling already!

Excuse me I am on the druids tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

And its his lower leg not his middle leg?

Haha! I think you'll find you've answered your own question there-if all the parts Kiera cares about are in full working order all is well :)

Oakeydokey I used to drink druids in college for three years until the lovely middle aged man in the local off licence leaned over the counter to me one night, took my hand and said "ducky, i sell that to winos and use it once a year to strip rust off my gates. Would you not try something else? "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Loving life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Hurry up July so I can go travelling already!

Excuse me I am on the druids tonight ;)
    Are you going anywhere nice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

pampootie wrote: »
    Oakeydokey I used to drink druids in college for three years until the lovely middle aged man in the local off licence leaned over the counter to me one night, took my hand and said "ducky, i sell that to winos and use it once a year to strip rust off my gates. Would you not try something else? "

Funnily enough I don't really drink the stuff, if I had the money I would of bought yummy Kiss Strawberry Cider :p but I got something cheap to watch the euros :) Not the worst cider though, better than a lot I've tried. I'm a lager drinker in general but again, I didn't have the money to get what I like and felt like something sweet.. I'd murder a cold bottle of Desperados Tequila beer :P:P:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement