Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

awec wrote: »
    I have to get her one!

And they do have a list except by the time I got around to looking at it there was only 4 things left on it! And I don't have time to order online!
    Why? What the feck is a bachelorette present?

I'm bridesmaid and I've been pretty much told that I have to! And I'm still trying to work that out!

I love that idea bubblefet but I don't really know him that well so it would end up being very one sided!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I'm bridesmaid and I've been pretty much told that I have to! And I'm still trying to work that out!

I love that idea bubblefet but I don't really know him that well so it would end up being very one sided!

Let it be one sided, sure she's your mate :) If he's anything like my boyfriend, stick in a bottle of whiskey and he'll be thrilled :p

My cousin is getting married in october and the invite says "No gifts, cash only." I just think that is so mercenary. He'll be getting an argos value toaster from me if he's lucky (have I mentioned I hate this cousin??)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I was late sending my dad's father's day card because I couldn't get to the post office with the mental weather. Had my mother on to me this morning giving out and saying how disappointed my dad was that nothing arrived for him yesterday. Aaaaand now I feel like a gigantic asshole. And the card still wont get there til Monday or Tuesday :(

• Advertisement

Is this a present you buy girls just cause they're getting married or what?

Don't think we do bachelorette / bachelor presents in the north.

I've to go today to the shop to get stuff for my friends wedding on Thurs, I have his wedding list here.

I think so! Tbh I think that it's just an American thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

bubblefett wrote: »
    My cousin is getting married in october and the invite says "No gifts, cash only." I just think that is so mercenary. He'll be getting an argos value toaster from me if he's lucky (have I mentioned I hate this cousin??)

What? I just think that is so bloody cheeky, they're practically demanding that people shower them with money.

If my boyfriend and I ever get married I won't be demanding gifts/cash. If we get married we will want the people we invite to be there to share the day with us and to see us make a commitment to each other surrounded by our friends and family who have seen us from the very beginning, not for gifts/cash.

I think so! Tbh I think that it's just an American thing
    Are you having a hen party?

Bit much to ask people to fork out for a present and attend a hen party if so. Especially when said people are going to have to fork out to attend the wedding too, and probably on a wedding gift as well!

Talk to the Americans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I find the idea of gift lists and requests of cash donations completely distasteful, if I'm being honest. If I recieved a wedding invitation requesting cash, I wouldn't go and I most definately wouldn't still send something. Other wise it's like "you can come to my wedding for 150 euro" or "i'd like if you came to my wedding but only if u bring that 5 piece set of luggage that I've had my eye on but would never pay that kind of money for".

As for a hen party present?! Scrooge here (me) wouldn't buy one either. Doesn't everyone cover the cost of the bride to be and just have fun?

Wait until she is pregnant and you'll
    be expected to fork out for the baby shower presents/party too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Why?

What difference does it make if you give them a 20 quid toaster or 20 quid?

It's just something I consider impolite. Same goes with wedding lists.
    It's something that would make me uncomfortable if I was to do it myself. You asking people to come and see you get married, to spend the day with you. It's a nice gesture that they buy you something to thank you for the day, but it shouldn't be a requirement of attending.
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned though :)

It's just something I consider impolite. Same goes with wedding lists.
    It's something that would make me uncomfortable if I was to do it myself. You asking people to come and see you get married, to spend the day with you. It's a nice gesture that they buy you something to thank you for the day, but it shouldn't be a requirement of attending.
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned though :)

That's it exactly. Putting no gifts, cash only on an invite is like saying if you're not giving us x then don't bother coming.

I'd hate to be confined to a gift list, surely if you're inviting people to your wedding, they are people who know you well and know what kind of gift is suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

You think wedding lists are impolite? :confused:

That's nonsense IMO.

I'd feel very uncomfortable making a list of things for people to buy me. I get that it has practicalities, but the expectation wouldn't sit well with me. *shrug* that's just me.

Ah I see, not everyone is entitled to an opinion. I get it now. Better throw in an obligatory :rolleyes: just to show how I think everyone else is being ridiculous.

Anyway, moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Novella wrote: »
    I would LOVE if someone bought me four new tyres.

Or a timing belt. Anyone? Anybody?!

My mom bought me alloys and new bigger tyres for Christmas when my car was new, best present ever!
    For my friends wedding I made them up a hamper of stuff I knew they'd like- sweets, ps3 games for him, awesome baking stuff for her and a few random fun toys from the gadget shop.
    They were so happy to get something other than a vase or photo frame (they got 13 vases in total!). Personal is always better :)

Having received over 40 wine glasses for our engagement (I didn't even know people gave engagement presents!) we've got our families on board to let people know that if they want to get us a wedding present (like others we don't expect one, but boyfriend's family are VERY generous) that One4All vouchers etc would be great, we have a house filled with stuff so we really don't need 15 toasters and more wine glasses, we have too much stuff, don't need more! I would much prefer no presents than a ton of photo frames I won't use and can't exchange.

As for bachelorette presents, f that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Why?

What difference does it make if you give them a 20 quid toaster or 20 quid?

Putting 'cash only' on wedding invitations is the height of crassness IMO. Some couples really need to get a grip when it comes to their expectations. I've actually seen wedding invitations with bank details printed on the back :eek: They'd be getting a teapot from me for pure cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Went baby supply shopping and after trawling through so much baby clothes, I really want one. Ha. Can you believe that? There's not one maternal bone in my body. I think I've been alien abducted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

There is no expectation.

This is what people misunderstand. It's not a "this is what I expect you to buy" list. At least it shouldn't be. It never has been in my experience.

Do you really think that if people are presented with a list that they're not going to feel obliged to buy one of the things on it?

I'm not misunderstanding anything. Clearly people have different opinions about it, and it'll depend on the spirit in which the requests are made about gifts. For me, it would feel like I'm saying I'm *expecting* the gifts on the list. That is all. I'm. saying.

What have I started... :-D

Wedding Present sorted! Got them a Newbridge clock that has a map of the world with clocks over America, England and Australia which is perfect for them as she's American and he's English.

Still working on the bachelorette!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

All I want people to bring to my wedding is food.

It's gonna happen in the back garden and we're gonna have a barbeque. They may not even be told there's a wedding.

That'd be mad craic :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Choc orange cookies
    598989_10151075404766833_840605532_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

NOM!

That's my Saturday night sorted. Tonight I am baking cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Go out? Stay in? Go out? Stay in?

:confused:

stay in it's yucky out

i think i will have chinese and ben & jerrys and pick a movie

those cookies look lovely, i love choc orange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Fair enough, in it is.

Going to update the blog and give my father another computer lesson later :) It's totally a night for baking, eating and watching.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Need inspiration for Father Day - gonna do breakfast in bed for him, but dunno what else to or get him, gonna head into town and see if I can get something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Choc orange cookies
    598989_10151075404766833_840605532_n.jpg

*wants all the cookies*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement