Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

my knee is actually killing me :( my gee is still sore :P

and i got to talk to guy #3 last night and again tonight!! :D:D:o

Well Done Sarahbeep! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

pampootie wrote: »
    Maybe if I hide under the duvet and stay really really quiet work won't notice if I don't show up

Go in to work, bring the duvet, hide under your desk and stay really really quiet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

coco_lola wrote: »
    My mother already lives over there (permanently), and if I'm honest, she's the main reason I want to go! I have debts to clear here, but I could pay them off in a few years. If I got a good job I could continue to pay them off when I move over. But I have a good permanent job with opportunities for progression, am I mad to go over there? There are jobs in my field over there so the plan would be to go on a WHV and then get sponsorship!

Would work give you a career break? Could you cite potential experience to be gained down under as a reason for them to keep your job open for your return? Will you come back at all if you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Too late now but regular saving ftw...

I'm always on at my kids about saving stuff regularly. They're pretty good about it these days.

Thanks Dad ;)

I've been making digital art in various forms for around a decade now, unfortunately the new programme I was using doesn't allow for intermittent saving, i.e. when you save the work is completed and uneditable. Needless to say I won't be using it again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

God, I had the most terrifying dream last night, or this morning or whatever.

It's sci-fi, so bear with the exposition.

The moon was at the early stages of colonisation, there were buildings on but you couldn't go outside onto the surface. I don't know if you're familiar with the "ladder from earth into space" idea, but basically there's a big tether that goes up into the outer atmosphere so we could transfer goods and people out of the atmosphere without the huge expense of rocket fuel.

So in my dream the tether extended to the moon and that was how they were transporting building materials up. We were up there about 20 years and whatever earth government decided that it would be a good idea to install a second thether so that we were no confined to one trip up and back in a day. So I was up there at the beginning of construction ceremony of the new terminal in some official capacity (I don't really know, probably representing a sponsor or something). Everything went off without a hitch.

So it was time to go home and the passenger portion of the the thethered transport system consisted of forty carriages and I was in carriage twenty. We all had to wear slimline spacesuits in case of loss of pressure, but after 20 years of no incidents people got a bit complacant and some of them didn't engage their helmets properly for comfort's sake.

All was grand and we began our journey, it was a big news day for the moon colony so we were watching the reports on the way back and they had 3D schematics of lunar terminal 2 (yes I dream was this specific) and they showed the opening ceremony and everyone was having fun in my carriage spotting themselves on the footage.

Then they started showing the passenger transport, they had live footage of carriage Eleven, and some of the guys in there were waving at the camera and it was all good fun. I kept looking at something near the floor of their carriage, it was like part of the wall was coming away and the silver foil insulator was visible and flapping a bit. It shouldn't have been flapping because the air supply was static and not like an air con.

So I kept watching this, thinking I'd bring it to the engineers' attention once we were back to earth, when all of a sudden the hull of the carriage came away and everyone who wasn't strapped in got sucked out into space, the people whose helmets weren't closed properly lost the helmets and suffocated and those with helmets somehow got decapitated. The news reporters were going crazy and we were all frigging petrified because it was only nine carraiges away and there were severed heads floating past outside the window. It was really bloody graphic and the TV news just kept rolling the images.

After a long time we eventually got back to earth and teams came in to remove what remained of the people from carriage eleven. I could hear a news report saying that the decapitations happened because of the swilr of the air exiting the chamber, so basically the poor sods had their heads twisted off.

I tried ringing home to say I was all right but there was something wrong with the global communications system. There was also talk on the news about it being a terrorist attack, but I had seen what happend and it just looked like poor maintenance.

Then I woke up feeling sick to my stomach. It was really horrible and very realistic in spite of the setting. I am impressed that my brain included so much detail though.

TL: DR?

--Sci Fi dream where heads are ripped off live on TV and on a train-thingy I'm currently on board.

• Advertisement

is that your twilight zone story entry? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

DK :eek: that is some dream!!

i dreamed that i was being cuddled :o

one time i dreaming that i was lying on my bed reading a book minding my sisters dog who for some reason was teeny tiny! He kept moving up near the pillows near the wall and i kept saying no, then he fell and i had to get him. Next thing i know its 5am and im pulling my bed from the wall!! I was convinced it was real!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Das kitty did you watch total recall recently??? or source code?

savage dream.. a mix of total recall and source code!

I had one 2 nights ago i was sort of buffy the vampire slayer but i didnt realise it until i plunged the knife in to some big guy with powers and ripped open his chest and couldnt find his heart so i took the knife and cut his head off, blood was everywhere and i siad to myself in the dream this guy is a vampire and i must be buffy, oh i could fly too and shoot arrows with a bow and hit a target far away :D i didnt tell my hubby my boyfriend that the big guiy tried to kill looked just like liam hemsworth and he got hit with an arrow from the big guy near his neck (on the muscle between the neck and colar bone), thats when i went mental and killed the big guy....

This all started with a trip on a boat to a cave with a few friends, dont know how i ended up at a sort of big cafe place where the above incident took place. Told my hubby about the dream last night he thought i was mental.....

oh, my order from hollister has been shipped should be here sometime this week.

Happy birthday to my daddy!

* recon my dream was a mix of buffy and hunger games....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Das Kitty, awesome dream! :eek: like, wow!

:( my head got sunburned yesterday. like, where my hair parts, it's all a bright red line. and some of my arm got toasted too. I'm freaking religious about putting on sunblock on my face, but I always forget to do my arms, and it's not exactly like I can put sunblock on my head where my hair parts is it? ouch I'll tell you! frelling ouch... :(

Links234 wrote: »
    Das Kitty, awesome dream! :eek: like, wow!

:( my head got sunburned yesterday. like, where my hair parts, it's all a bright red line. and some of my arm got toasted too. I'm freaking religious about putting on sunblock on my face, but I always forget to do my arms, and it's not exactly like I can put sunblock on my head where my hair parts is it? ouch I'll tell you! frelling ouch... :(

Where did you find the sun???

peeing rain here most of the day (did take the trip out to loop head and it was sunny there on the coast but rainy inland)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Where did you find the sun???

peeing rain here most of the day (did take the trip out to loop head and it was sunny there on the coast but rainy inland)
    Galway. was insanely toasty yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My boob hurts. Came to the nasty realisation about 11km into my run yesterday that one of my sports bras is just about dead and had started chafing like mad. :eek:

Links234 wrote: »
    Galway. was insanely toasty yesterday

Ennis was wet and cloudy, you must have had the clear skys that were over kilkee, if we looked in galways direction there were a few light clouds but if we looked at kerrys direction the clouds were dark and heavy.

Who would have thought you needed suncream yesterday, I did mention to my hubby in kilkee yesterday that my fore head was burning, but i was too busy drinking my moody cow :) that are so tasty! as soon as we hit kilrush the heavens opened :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Would work give you a career break? Could you cite potential experience to be gained down under as a reason for them to keep your job open for your return? Will you come back at all if you go?

I don't know if they would give me a career break, I'm only here 3 months (which is why I would plan on going in March of next year to give me a year's experience under my belt), and it's 2 months notice to leave here. My company does have a branch in Sydney alright and I could ask to be transferred, but I'd rather go to Newcastle, which is where my mother is.

If I'm honest, I think if I liked it, I wouldn't come back for a while! The idea would be to get sponsored by a company over there.

Dizzinesss and black spots, please go away :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    Eat something sugary.

I've done that, had breakfast and a bar of chocolate (any excuse for chocolate :D ) and had coffee too... I'm a smoker and tried to smoke a cigarette this morning and it didn't go down too well... Maybe I'll just give up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Meh. That is all.

Maybe you're just overly tired?

I get that too sometimes btw. Couple of times I had it (years and years ago) I got so dizzy I actually threw up. :o

Yeah, maybe! I haven't been sleeping too well the last couple of weeks but I always managed fine, I don't need much sleep normally anyway! Being run down is so lame!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

bluewolf wrote: »
    is that your twilight zone story entry? :pac:

I wish it fitted the summary because it was sort of awesome.

If I'm going to write around it I reckon I'll need to explain how the transport connects with the earth, because, well the moon is in orbit so it would either have to be remarkably well timed or the station would need to be moving around the earth in line with the moon's orbit.

I wasn't watching or reading anything funny yesterday, so I don't know. It's one of the few horror style dreams I ever had, I can't get over how graphic it was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

coco_lola wrote: »
    I've done that, had breakfast and a bar of chocolate (any excuse for chocolate :D ) and had coffee too... I'm a smoker and tried to smoke a cigarette this morning and it didn't go down too well... Maybe I'll just give up :)

Do : )

Has anyone watched the nerdist show on bbc america?

I usually get by on like 6 hours sleep max. But I'm usually tired.

But last night, I was shattered, went to bed at like 12:30 or whatever. But woke up at 6am this morning wide awake!? :confused:

After that exercise yesterday I was expecting to be bust today.

Oh yeah did you mention you went cycling? I was asleep by about 12.45 I think but most nights I don't sleep til 2am, I got a good 7 hours sleep last night so I dunno what's up... more tea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

@SarahBeep! - Well done on passing your exams! :D

@coco_lola - Take it easy and mind yourself today. Being dizzy like that is horrible. Before I went on the pill my periods made me like that. I passed out twice or 3 times and got dizzy lots of times from it, I think they were making me anaemic. Hope you feel better soon. :)

@DasKitty - that's some dream. It must be something in the water round here. I'm having very strange dreams lately. One night I dreamt I had loads of gerbils running around my room. Another night I dreamt that my chipmunk escaped and found a female and brought back her and babies to the house. Last night I dreamt that my bf told me over Facebook that he didn't love me and I woke up in tears at 6am. :o

Right I'm going to knit for the day. Almost done with the navy bag. Just the strap and sewing up left. Then might do some squares for my blanket. :)

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    @coco_lola - Take it easy and mind yourself today. Being dizzy like that is horrible. Before I went on the pill my periods made me like that. I passed out twice or 3 times and got dizzy lots of times from it, I think they were making me anaemic. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Thanks Jane, I actually had that same issue myself! I went to the doc and she put me straight on the pill and some very strong iron tablets, apparently the iron in my red blood cells was the lowest she'd ever seen :eek: I haven't eaten red meat in about a week, so it could be that. I've got minced beef defrosting in the fridge for cottage pie tonight so I'll be getting my red meat fix soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

No prob. Just thought I'd share in case that might have been the problem. My periods were very heavy for about the first 2-3 years and they used to go on for over a week. They did calm down a bit on their own. I was put on the pill to regulate them because I could go 2 or 3 months without one and get 2 in the same month next time. I was definitely not one of those women who can predict when they were going to get their period so off I went to my GP and I'm so glad I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Ah jeez are we starting to sync up? :eek::o

*noms chocolate*

Another synced lady here :o My sister and I are synced too, it's been a fun house over the last week...
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I PASSED ME EXAMS!!!

HELLO 4TH YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

NO REPEATS FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yay congratulations :)

I gots my new phone! I changed my mind on Saturday night and went for the Samsung S Advanced; 100euro cheaper than the SII and still awesome IMO.

All the Father's Day talk here yesterday makes me feel bad that I didn't do much for my dad. I bought him a card but I was working most of the day so I couldn't spend much time with him. Still, we don't do much for those kind of days anyway. Christmas is the major family event for us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Boyfriend making brekkie and i'm curled up in bed. today is a duvet day..

might take my doggie to the new walk i found.. going to get out and about this week and i'm going to shift this weight!

OMG!!!

So as I mentioned here yesterday, I had been thinking about making the move to Oz to my Mother. I emailed a company near where my mother lives that are in the same industry as me, just to put feelers out (No dirty puns Kiera :P), and they emailed me back today looking for more info on me, what I'm at, why I want to move etc. Eek! :eek: :D

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement