Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I wanna go home. Last ten minutes are bloody dragging.

I'm not going to watch the match tonight, I'm going to go to bed and watch Doctor Who on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I never noticed this thread before. Nice way to get to know the ladies who post here (and the gentlemen of course!)

Das Kitty wrote: »

I'm not going to watch the match tonight, I'm going to go to bed and watch Doctor Who on the laptop.

i was listening to the action theme again this morning for motivation before work :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Free tickets to Des Bishop for Saturday night. Huzzah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ordered my Raspberry Pi today. No idea what I'm gonna use it for but who cares...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

bluewolf wrote: »
    post filth and stuff, be graaand

This.. More of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I think car garages just make up random prices for things. I called two weeks ago and was given a price of 260, called again today and was given a price of 181, and my brother picked up the piece I needed for 75 euro.

I got brake pads for 30 euro, the garage wanted 67 and I got another part for 65 while they wanted 108.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Das Kitty wrote: »

Don't forget to pick up a pregnancy test. :)

Polloloca wrote: »
    I think car garages just make up random prices for things. I called two weeks ago and was given a price of 260, called again today and was given a price of 181, and my brother picked up the piece I needed for 75 euro.

I got brake pads for 30 euro, the garage wanted 67 and I got another part for 65 while they wanted 108.

Are they including labour and VAT in that price? If so, that's fair. It also depends where they order from. Most garages order from Main Dealers only, whereas you could get spurious parts for a lot less online (like on Mick's Garage)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

post filth and stuff, be graaand
    That_Guy wrote: »
    This.. More of this.

It's a good sign that they're trying to counter the stereotype anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My dad got his test results back and thankfully he's cancer free!! :) But he'll still have to have a operation to fix his vertebrae in his back. In the grand scheme of things though it could have been a lot worse.
    We went out for coffee in Avoca to celebrate. Avoca cake is best cake.

coco_lola wrote: »
    Are they including labour and VAT in that price? If so, that's fair. It also depends where they order from. Most garages order from Main Dealers only, whereas you could get spurious parts for a lot less online (like on Mick's Garage)

Vat is included on the parts priced from peugout but labour would be 150 plus vat. Last time I left it into peugout for a service, they told me they would order the fan and to fit it and buy it I was looking at it being around 400 euro. I'm skeptical of them now to be fair, outrageous prices and it leaves me wondering do they take advantage just because it's a female driver, as my brother can get everything done that I need for less than half the price of peugout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Supposed to be going into town tonight for drinks with a huge crew of heads I used to work with who all took voluntary redundancy after donkeys' years in the company.

Have had headache all day, have no money so will have to drive in and I've a football tourney tomorrow.

Do I *have* to go???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

223993_483778081638919_1542058607_n.jpg

Next damn Friday!!!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Supposed to be going into town tonight for drinks with a huge crew of heads I used to work with who all took voluntary redundancy after donkeys' years in the company.

Have had headache all day, have no money so will have to drive in and I've a football tourney tomorrow.

Do I *have* to go???

go in, have a soft drink, plead headache and leave

Vat is included on the parts priced from peugout but labour would be 150 plus vat. Last time I left it into peugout for a service, they told me they would order the fan and to fit it and buy it I was looking at it being around 400 euro. I'm skeptical of them now to be fair, outrageous prices and it leaves me wondering do they take advantage just because it's a female driver, as my brother can get everything done that I need for less than half the price of peugout.

A main dealer will always be more expensive, they are main dealer parts and will always slap that bit extra on for parts and labour. Go to a reputable independent garage, you will get more for your money. But as I said, main dealer parts will always be more expensive than buying spurious parts.

That price sounds about right tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

go in, have a soft drink, plead headache and leave

But I'd have to go home and wash and dry my hair and do the face and whatnot and it really doesn't seem worth the effort for a bloody soda water & lime :mad:

Weather ain't helping the cause either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    223993_483778081638919_1542058607_n.jpg

Next damn Friday!!!

Same here, and I've got that special post-holiday broke feeling going on... :eek:

I got the fan (new) for 65 and the mechanic my brother goes to is fitting it for 20 euro. He used to work as a mechanic with ford so I know he's good.

I'm just mad at peugout because I've had nothing with bad experiences with them. They have a different price everytime you ask and the very first dealings I had with them, he made me cry. I had called on the phone to see what oil I needed for my engine. At 18, I didn't have enough cop on to just go into a car part shop. He wouldn't tell me over the phone, told me to bring my car in and they would do it. I had my car just over a year and he started giving out to me saying I hadn't got it serviced and that I was foolish and that I needed to treat the car like it was an investment, fleecing into me. It was about 10 days before Xmas and he was saying that while I was there I might as well have it serviced and when I said I'd do it after christmas he started giving out to me again, said I must have "got it handy". In the end I let him put it in for the service and even though when we bought the car (new) there was supposed to be free service for so
    many years on it, he still charged me over 200 euro, could have been even closer to 250. Now I leave all car related matters to my brother who manages better than I would.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Thinking of moving to Scotland to finish my undergrad in computer science. I think it's a brilliant idea (well-respected course, better chance of finding part-time work) but my mam thinks it's a terrible idea (will need to take out a student loan if I don't find work, won't get good work experience in IT in Scotland). Decisions decisions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thinking of moving to Scotland to finish my undergrad in computer science. I think it's a brilliant idea (well-respected course, better chance of finding part-time work) but my mam thinks it's a terrible idea (will need to take out a student loan if I don't find work, won't get good work experience in IT in Scotland). Decisions decisions...

If it's the University of Edinburgh, then that's a really good idea. Have heard great things about their CS department.

Was leaning towards University of Glasgow, though I love the look of the course in Edinburgh too :D Glasgow seems more programming orientated, which is where my interests lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Got the driver theory test book though..woop! Bout time I started driving. My brother has been giving me lessons and once I pass my theory test (on July 7th, hopefully!) I will start getting proper lessons. This new mandatory 12 lesson rule is a bit mad though...it will be so expensive :o

Best of luck with it! Try get hold of the CD-ROM and keep doing sample tests everyday until you're passing them without a hitch. I'm a driving-simpleton, but by doing that I got 40 :)
    I've had 4 of my 12 lessons so far, it's not too bad money-wise if you're doing them once a week or whatever. Shop around before booking an instructor. They say you should get them every two weeks but I'm much too impatient for that :D
    bubblefett wrote: »
    My dad got his test results back and thankfully he's cancer free!! :) But he'll still have to have a operation to fix his vertebrae in his back. In the grand scheme of things though it could have been a lot worse.
    We went out for coffee in Avoca to celebrate. Avoca cake is best cake.

Yay that's great news, hope your dad recovers quickly :) And Avoca? I jelly!

Do it! I know loads of people in college in Scotland and they love it, plus I think you would be exempt from fees - although I could be mistaken on that one. A student loan isn't the end of the world, especially if studying there boosts your chances of getting employment during and after college.

Going to watch Cinderella now (again), curled up in the boyfriend's bed with hot chocolate - but not with him, he has to work :(
    We went swimming today. At first I was disgusted with myself for getting so lazy since last year, when I was really fit. But then I did lots of lengths and now I feel better :)

EmilyO wrote: »
    Do it! I know loads of people in college in Scotland and they love it, plus I think you would be exempt from fees - although I could be mistaken on that one. A student loan isn't the end of the world, especially if studying there boosts your chances of getting employment during and after college.

Yeah, EU citizens get to pay the "home" rate for fees instead of the £9000 tuition down south in England/Wales. It's a big plus, because I'd be paying full fees if I stayed in Ireland (I did two years of a previous course before dropping out and starting again). Right now I'm seeing if I can get in to 3rd year in 2013. I may need to repeat their 2nd year though. It all depends :(
    EmilyO wrote: »
    We went swimming today. At first I was disgusted with myself for getting so lazy since last year, when I was really fit. But then I did lots of lengths and now I feel better :)

Swimming is awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Yeah, EU citizens get to pay the "home" rate for fees instead of the £9000 tuition down south in England/Wales. It's a big plus, because I'd be paying full fees if I stayed in Ireland (I did two years of a previous course before dropping out and starting again). Right now I'm seeing if I can get in to 3rd year in 2013. I may need to repeat their 2nd year though. It all depends :(

Swimming is awesome :D

Ah I see. My friend was the same; he did two and a half years here before deciding to go to Aberdeen to do teaching. From what he says, it costs a hell of a lot less to go to college there than here, when you factor in the cost of living, accommodation etc.

Yeah I love swimming, I iz a water baby! Plus, you get a workout without getting all sweaty and stinky. Just need to build up my stamina again; at my fittest I could swim 60 lengths in an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im having one of those days where i just want cuddles and lots of them! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Almostnever, were you on Grafton St today around 6pm? Pretty sure I saw you!

/end lurk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I got the fan (new) for 65 and the mechanic my brother goes to is fitting it for 20 euro. He used to work as a mechanic with ford so I know he's good.

I'm just mad at peugout because I've had nothing with bad experiences with them. They have a different price everytime you ask and the very first dealings I had with them, he made me cry. I had called on the phone to see what oil I needed for my engine. At 18, I didn't have enough cop on to just go into a car part shop. He wouldn't tell me over the phone, told me to bring my car in and they would do it. I had my car just over a year and he started giving out to me saying I hadn't got it serviced and that I was foolish and that I needed to treat the car like it was an investment, fleecing into me. It was about 10 days before Xmas and he was saying that while I was there I might as well have it serviced and when I said I'd do it after christmas he started giving out to me again, said I must have "got it handy". In the end I let him put it in for the service and even though when we bought the car (new) there was supposed to be free service for so
    many years on it, he still charged me over 200 euro, could have been even closer to 250. Now I leave all car related matters to my brother who manages better than I would.

I'm mad at Peugeot too this evening, one of the Peugeot garages here has been ringing all day yesterday and today with an automated message advertising their services. I'll have to unplug the phone cos I just got the baby to bed, if they wake him up I'll go mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I was having a pretty emotional day as it was but I just looked at those "21 Pictures" Acoshla posted last night and bawled my eyes out. I know they are suppose to make you happy but I just lost it while looking at them.

Also, I've a very good friend who I've been on sketchy terms with the past year (mostly my fault), I always mix her birthday up but was convinced it was tomorrow and now I've seem a few people post on her wall but I dunno if they are just getting in early or if it's her birthday today. Don't want to text her today if it's not but can't miss it either.

• Advertisement

Check her dob on facebook?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement