Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

It's not like she ever went through with any of it. Keep your knickers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I would absolutely love to know how so many absolute gowlbags end up holding on to teaching jobs and getting into positions of power... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

We never got the spoon but we got the back of the hand a few times (about 3 or 4 IIRC). In the 90s :(
    I have often heard my mother telling the story about a friend in school who played a musical instrument (don't know what instrument though) and they made a mistake one day and the Nun who was teaching them broke a cane on the back of their hand, their hand a black/blue for a few days afterwards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I have often heard my mother telling the story about a friend in school who played a musical instrument (don't know what instrument though) and they made a mistake one day and the Nun who was teaching them broke a cane on the back of their hand, their hand a black/blue for a few days afterwards.

What a psychopath! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Is it wrong that I laughed at how the Nuacht newsreader is pronouncing (repeatedly) the word "bhanc"?

• Advertisement

What a psychopath! :eek:
    +1

Mam always says she was the worst teacher they ever had, no other teacher/nun was half as bad her her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Just flicking around the channels and The Real Housewives of Orange County is coming on ITV2 now and the voiceover introducing it said "Now we're off to Orange County where sometimes the only way to get over a traumatic cooking lesson is a two week yachting holiday" hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I thought I was the only one who got threatened with that damn spoon! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I can't concentrate in work :(

coco_lola wrote: »
    I can't concentrate in work :(

i could leave now but my flexi clock is low enough already
    5pm it is
    zzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Neyite wrote: »
    That might have been me. :o I didnt post on the His&Hers Cinema outing thread, but on my way home from work I decided on a whim as I was passing Wellpark to drop in. I met you (with your old username), and Xiney, and Stenchy, and there were a couple of other girls there too, but I cant remember their usernames. But I was a poster here before that so I hope you didnt think I was all stalkery :(
    I changed my username shortly afterwards in the Great Boards Hack to this one because I realised the stuff I was posting made me identifiable to others.

I was thinking of another lurker at another meet up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A teacher in my primary school used to hit students with those big World Book encyclopedias. She then went on to become principal. She only left the school when she retired, I think she has since passed away.

I had a lecturer in Uni who threw an overhead projector at a group of guys who were talking during his lecture. Thankfully no one was hurt. That lecturer was a nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I have some vague memories of being smacked by the auld wooden spoon, but many memories of breaking spoons and of drawing smiley faces of the spoon. Good times :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I would absolutely love to know how so many absolute gowlbags end up holding on to teaching jobs and getting into positions of power... :eek:

I had some lunatics as teachers, one threw a duster at a guy and hit him in the eye, another used to stink of drink and was sneakily swigging throughout classes, never fired

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Thinking of moving to Scotland to finish my undergrad in computer science. I think it's a brilliant idea (well-respected course, better chance of finding part-time work) but my mam thinks it's a terrible idea (will need to take out a student loan if I don't find work, won't get good work experience in IT in Scotland). Decisions decisions...
    Was leaning towards University of Glasgow, though I love the look of the course in Edinburgh too :D Glasgow seems more programming orientated, which is where my interests lie.

By way of building up programming experience, have you become involved in any free/open source projects? Always looking for contributors and being able to say you work on whatever open source program is good on the resume...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

One teacher in my secondary school threw a chair at a girl I know, about 5 years ago! He's still teaching there of course - he's the principal's husband :rolleyes:

When we were little we were threatened with the spoon but never hit with it. On the odd occasion we'd get a slap on the hand or the back of the legs, but we'd have to be really naughty to get that.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    By way of building up programming experience, have you become involved in any free/open source projects? Always looking for contributors and being able to say you work on whatever open source program is good on the resume...

Great idea, cheers! I've been working on small android apps myself without much success so far :pac:

Just logged into my Ulster Bank anytime banking and there's almost €15 in it.

Must be a mistake as I'm almost positive the last transaction left less than €1 in my a/c.

I thought their online banking was still down, didn't realise I could get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Just logged into my Ulster Bank anytime banking and there's almost €15 in it.

Must be a mistake as I'm almost positive the last transaction left less than €1 in my a/c.

I thought their online banking was still down, didn't realise I could get into it.

You can get into it but it's not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I am still waiting on two payments to go into my Ulster Bank account that were due to go in yesterday. It is so frustrating, but I am lucky I had saved a little and so had some money in my account to carry me until the mess gets sorted.

I sent an email to the HR department of a local hospital begging for a placement as a med secretary for 10 weeks. I spoke to a lovely woman in the HR department and she told me to send on an email and she would give it to the right person. If they say yes I can get a place on a course I really want in Sept. Please, please, please let them say yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

My dad is 57 years old. Today he suggested that i wear fake tan when im out and about in work because i am so pale and i might frighten people with how pale i am!

Thanks so much dad!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Ulster bank is doing my head in- all my bills, my insurances, my rent etc go through my ulster bank account and my rent allowance goes straight into it. Now it's all over the place I can't tell how much I have/who I've paid etc etc.
    News says it should be fixed by monday thankfully. I'm a worrier when it comes to money, won't be happy til it's back in order :)

Brought my nephew out for to TGIs today because he's finished school for the summer. I ated all the burgers and icecream....

ellieh1 wrote: »
    I sent an email to the HR department of a local hospital begging for a placement as a med secretary for 10 weeks. I spoke to a lovely woman in the HR department and she told me to send on an email and she would give it to the right person. If they say yes I can get a place on a course I really want in Sept. Please, please, please let them say yes.
    Fingers crossed for you :)
    My dad is 57 years old. Today he suggested that i wear fake tan when im out and about in work because i am so pale and i might frighten people with how pale i am!

Thanks so much dad!! :pac:
    My mam always says the same to me, "would ya not wear a bitta tan?" the nearest thing to fake tan I wear is Dove summer glow and even then, I wear feck all of it, sure you don't even notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I need to stop making silly mistakes.
    Ever get when something is an amazing idea mentally, but realistically it's the stupidest thing you've ever done?

Yep, that's my life at the minute..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ever get when something is an amazing idea mentally, but realistically it's the stupidest thing you've ever done?

All the freakin' time! :pac:

Hope you're okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I wish we had TGIs or Captain Americas down here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Novella wrote: »
    Ah no. I think he kind of just read threads on Boards but didn't post. Then he showed up to a beers, things kind of got out of hand on the beers thread the next day, he obviously read it and signed up to say that it was never his intention to cause alarm. That's all it was!

Ah I feel bad for the poor guy! :o People are always saying on the Beers threads that anyone is welcome, newbies and lurkers etc. I can definitely see how it might have come across as being a little creepy at the time though! Especially if he was nervous etc. I wonder if he still posts?
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    My Mother took out the wooden spoon at us a few times and we just pissed laughing her because we knew she wouldn't touch us with it and it seemed so silly..

My mother broke the wooden spoon off one of my brothers' arses once. The funny thing is, they didn't get a new one, kept using the same one for years even though there was a massive chunk of it missing - and, every time we were bold, my dad would raise the broken wooden spoon as a warning and remind us how it got broken! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

New fur babies!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I'm not Ulster Bank but I'm going to blame them for my very low balance*

*not my overspending

• Advertisement

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    New fur babies!!! :D

Pics or GTFO :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement