Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest me a Ice Hockey team to follow!

Options
  • 10-06-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭

I have always had a admiration for hockey but never properly got into it but over the past while iv decided id try and get to properly follow it. Problem is I know little to nothing about the teams bar * I know that team to see and know they are good*. Basically looking for a finesse team to follow, don't have to be the best in the league, one that tries to play flashy over grinding out a game. Any suggestions would be great cheers!

Comments

Philadelphia Flyers , Have not won in a long time but its coming ! !

Actually i just read finesse so maybe not. Try ballet

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

NY Rangers.

Good team, good goalie, good coach. They haven't won since '94 or so so you won't be called a front runner but they're good now and almost made it to the finals only falling to the hated NJ Devils.

Plus, if you're ever in NY, Madison Square Garden is as good a place as any to watch a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

DaDartle wrote: »
    NY Rangers.

Good team, good goalie, good coach. They haven't won since '94 or so so you won't be called a front runner but they're good now and almost made it to the finals only falling to the hated NJ Devils.

Plus, if you're ever in NY, Madison Square Garden is as good a place as any to watch a game.

Ill have a look at the Rangers and see if I like them. The only other team I saw that interested me was Toronto, though their seems to be a awful lot of hate and spite directed towards them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

you could do worse than Toronto. They were one of the original 6 teams (along with the Rangers) so there's a good history there.

DaDartle wrote: »
    you could do worse than Toronto. They were one of the original 6 teams (along with the Rangers) so there's a good history there.

They seem like a interesting team to follow with Brian Burke being the GM gotta love crazy GM's like that. However I have no idea what their playing style is (other then they finished 4th in goals this season). Some Youtube poster had a great montage of their season and it really captured the ups and very very very deep lows they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

PENS!

... or the mighty Nottingham Panthers! ;)

I would say, just watch some games and a team will come to you.

I would say, just watch some games and a team will come to you.

Sorta tough when the season is all but over. Wonder if there are any torrent sites like they have for AF where i may be able to get my hands on some matches. Also annoying that any games being shown were on Setanta 1 and not ESPN America.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

Rangers are a good choice. Maybe the ducks. I know there not the best since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Silver Clown

Stev_o wrote: »
    They seem like a interesting team to follow with Brian Burke being the GM gotta love crazy GM's like that. However I have no idea what their playing style is (other then they finished 4th in goals this season). Some Youtube poster had a great montage of their season and it really captured the ups and very very very deep lows they had.

Yep, they have had some lows recently. It's been a long time since Toronto won the Stanley cup, '67 was the last time they won. They haven't qualified for the playoffs for the past 8 seasons either. Like others have said though, they have a great history seeing as they are an original 6 team and they have some nice rivalries too in the likes of Boston and Montreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I think Belfast has an ice hockey team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

charlemont wrote: »
    I think Belfast has an ice hockey team.

Yes, they won the league last season as well. And they play in quite a nice arena.

The other suggestion i was given was the Oilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eldingo

I follow the Canadiens myself, fell in love with the team around 2002, no specific reason besides their history and contribution they had to the game. The Leafs also have a huge following in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The other suggestion i was given was the Oilers.

The Oilers are a good team to follow right now because ...well...they suck. That being said, they have some incredible young talent on the team as well as the #1 overall pick in this years Entry Draft. If they can find some help on the blueline and some coaching, they may be something in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dragula003

This isnt really anything people can advise you on, you get a feel for a team from watching games, and reading up on teams, or even by playing NHL on Xbox/PS3.

Personally I'm a Pittsburgh fan, and they are ALWAYS so highly rated that they rarely perform to expectations so maybe try an up and coming team who have a exciting run on the way. Oilers are a good one to look at!

Alternatively King's just won the Stanley Cup, you could just Jump on the band wagon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Ill have a look at the Rangers and see if I like them. The only other team I saw that interested me was Toronto, though their seems to be a awful lot of hate and spite directed towards them :P

Leafs are a horrible shower. The Rangers are a good shout and we have quite a young roster also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I have always had a admiration for hockey but never properly got into it but over the past while iv decided id try and get to properly follow it. Problem is I know little to nothing about the teams bar * I know that team to see and know they are good*. Basically looking for a finesse team to follow, don't have to be the best in the league, one that tries to play flashy over grinding out a game. Any suggestions would be great cheers!

The thing about following Ice Hockey in this country is that the games are almost always shown at between 11pm (for the few weeks of the year between the clock changes) and 5.30am. If you are genuinely going to get into it and watch games, then this has to be a major factor. If you pick a team from the East, the majority of their games will be midnight starts, whereas Western teams will be 2am or 3am starts. That makes a huge difference.

This off-seasons activity will also be important in deciding who the best teams to watch next year might be. Here's my opinion of the better teams to watch in the East at the moment:

Atlantic
    New Jersey Devils
    New York Islanders
    New York Rangers
    Philadelphia Flyers
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Northeast
    Boston Bruins
    Buffalo Sabres
    Montreal Canadiens
    Ottawa Senators
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast
    Carolina Hurricanes
    Florida Panthers
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    Washington Capitals
    Winnipeg Jets

The Southeast is a pretty horrible division to be honest, the Northeast has it's moments but the Atlantic has the best teams. Four of the last five Eastern Conference champions have come from that division. The Penguins are my own preference, but I won't force that upon you too much. Suffice it to say Malkin and Crosby are two of the most exciting forwards in the game at the moment. New York have a good hard-working, honest team, with a coach who takes no prisoners. New Jersey... I just don't really like them, sorry. Boston have a good, solid team. Cup Winners last year.

Anyway... best of luck with whomever you pick.

Advertisement