Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar

Options
  • 10-06-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise me on what would b a typical salary for a civil engineer with 18 years experience in doha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Theres a useful website called Qatar Living where you'll get a lot of information, including about salaries:
    www.qatarliving.com
    I'm not in the construction game but I can give you some prices if that would belp. (All Qatari Riyals, approx Q4.6=E1)
    Accommodation: Q7500-12500 for a 1/2 bed apartment, Q15-25,000 for a villa (house).
    Car Q3-4,000pm. Petrol Q1 per litre.
    Schools Q40-60,000 pa per child.
    Maid, Q2,000 pm.
    Eating out is generally cheaper than in Ireland.
    Flying home (or anywhere) is expensive and especially mounts up if flying with family.
    My advise is always look for more, the cost of living here is expensive and curiously a good tax free salary doesn't go as far as you might think.
    Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

PS - 46C in the shade today, but you do get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Theres a useful website called Qatar Living where you'll get a lot of information, including about salaries:
    www.qatarliving.com
    I'm not in the construction game but I can give you some prices if that would belp. (All Qatari Riyals, approx Q4.6=E1)
    Accommodation: Q7500-12500 for a 1/2 bed apartment, Q15-25,000 for a villa (house).
    Car Q3-4,000pm. Petrol Q1 per litre.
    Schools Q40-60,000 pa per child.
    Maid, Q2,000 pm.
    Eating out is generally cheaper than in Ireland.
    Flying home (or anywhere) is expensive and especially mounts up if flying with family.
    My advise is always look for more, the cost of living here is expensive and curiously a good tax free salary doesn't go as far as you might think.
    Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

PS - 46C in the shade today, but you do get used to it.

Many thanks for the above, is there much to do in Qatar apart from work, any golf, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

Hi
    There's plenty to do in Doha, though its not as much of a party-town as, for example, Dubai.
    There is a golf club, I'm not a golfer, but I've been there several times for a pint or a meal and its a good place. Colleagues tell me that the course is good, and there's an annual tournament where many of the big names turn up, and as a spectator you get much closer to them than at other similar events.
    http://www.dohagolfclub.com/
    There's also a rugby club which, although it does field teams and is active in minis rugby, is best known for its social side!
    http://www.doharfc.com/
    There's a large tennis complex also, and there is a mens and womens tournament each year where again many of the big names turn up.
    http://www.qatartennis.org/
    There is an active Qatar football league and there's usually a copule of exhibition games during the cooler months. We saw Brazil v Egypt last winter.
    The social scene tends to revovle around home entertainment, though there are several bars too. Basically most of the 5-star hotels have a bar where you can buy alcohol. Some 5-stars are more conservative however, and few lower star hotels have a bar. Expats can also buy alcohol at a single off-licence (managed by Aer Rianta!). There's a bit of paperwork to attend to, but its not onerous.
    There's not a lot to Qatar outside Doha, desert and oil/gas installations basically, but in the cooler months camping is a possibility.
    I hope that is of some help, happy to answer any more specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrJM

30,000 Qatari riyals a month, I think.

Advertisement