Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Xbox 360: what games do I need?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭

Probably this has come up before, but I just bought a 4gb Xbox 360 and I'm wondering what games - of any vintage - I should buy? The only proviso is that I don't really like linear games - the only game I bought so far is LA Noire which is great in some ways but feels quite linear in others.

I'm coming from a PC background and I love strategy games like the Total War series, but I couldn't be bothered shelling out a grand for a PC that can run new PC games :) At the other end of the spectrum, I'm not mad on arcadey stuff, but I'd still consider anything that comes highly recommended.

So where should I look next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

Hello my friend ;)

I really enjoyed Deus Ex Human Revolution, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City recently so I'd recommend any of those 3 to start with.

I've heard Syndicate 2012 (Project RedLime) is also good but have yet to try it, certainly looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

superluck wrote: »
    Hello my friend ;)

I really enjoyed Deus Ex Human Revolution, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City recently so I'd recommend any of those 3 to start with.

I've heard Syndicate 2012 (Project RedLime) is also good but have yet to try it, certainly looks good.
    Cheers SL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

You should check out RUSE or Battlestation Midway and Pacific,great real time strategy games

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Do yourself a favour and try pick up Portal on the Xbox marketplace or even the orange bundle should be cheap preowned and comes with portal half life2 and team fortress 2.

Portal is by far one of the best games Ive ever played and the story is highly entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

+1 on portal 2.
    Fantastic gameplay and the game's world is so captivating you dont feel its as linear as it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 1,2+3, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, BioShock, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 1,2+3, Forza 3/4, Orange Box, Halo 3/Reach/ODST, Bayonetta, Fable 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, GTA IV, FIFA 12, Portal 2, Dark Souls, Skyrim.
    Loads of games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

GTR63 wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 1,2+3, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, BioShock, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 1,2+3, Forza 3/4, Orange Box, Halo 3/Reach/ODST, Bayonetta, Fable 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, GTA IV, FIFA 12, Portal 2, Dark Souls, Skyrim.
    Loads of games there.

On a side note you can't play the Halo games without a HDD. You need to get yourself a hard drive. Your 360 only has 4Gb of internal memory. You can get them for a good price with free delivery on Amazon.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Drive-320GB-Model-Xbox/dp/B005GTBVOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339437038&sr=8-1

+1 on the Orange Box, Portal 2, Forza 4, Mass Effect series, Deus Ex HR, Skyrim, Mirrors Edge, PGR 4, Dead Space 1/2, Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout 3 Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

+1 on the Orange Box, Portal 2, Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Dead Space 1/2, Fallout 3 & New Vegas. Also throw the Assassin's Creed games into the mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Big mistake with the hard drive but i presume you got a good deal to take the smaller one. I had an old model 4gb one but it made a noise like a feckin hairdryer.
    Looking fwd to Far Cry 3 and new GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night on XBLA is one I'd highly recommend if you wait to avoid the linear.

• Advertisement

A few that i like.....

Fifa 12
    Battlefield 3
    Call Of Duty MW3
    Magic 2012 Duels OF The Planeswalkers (fantasy card game)
    Forza 4
    LA Noire (groundbreaking animation)
    Red Dead Redemption
    Driver San Francisco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Super Street Fighter IV
    Fallout 3
    Skyrim
    Dead Space
    Marvel V Capcom 3
    Dues Ex HR

The Secret of Monkey Island and Splosion Man are definitely worth checking out on XBLA.

I found the GoW games a bit boring to be honest, likewise with the Halo games. CoD and MW are fun for online but after playing one I lost interest in the rest. That's just my preference though.

You should be able to pick up a few games quite cheap on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Definitely get Dark souls, it's a great game, can be very difficult for newcomers but one of the best games ever made imho

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Geometry wars!!tis class

I find a lot of modern games very linear - there's no sense that you aren't doing the exact same choreographed stuff every other player does, and there's no actual skill involved. I've been feeling that about LA Noire since about half an hour into it.

Are there any decent non-linear games out there any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

A lot of games are now based on multiplayer .Maybe find out what games ur mates have and play online with them.I found call of duty,red dead and halo online pretty enjoyable when playing online with friends.

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    A lot of games are now based on multiplayer .Maybe find out what games ur mates have and play online with them.I found call of duty,red dead and halo online pretty enjoyable when playing online with friends.
    I find FPS games a real struggle without a mouse... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Fallout 3
    Oblivion
    Skyrim
    The Orange Box
    Bioshock

Fallout 3 especially, GOTY edition if you can. The hours I spent wandering post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. :D

Fallout 3 especially, GOTY edition if you can. The hours I spent wandering post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. :D
    Yes, great game - I completed it before my PC died. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

Batman Arkham Asylum and batman Arkham City
    max payne 3
    prototype 2
    all the cod games
    Red Dead Redemption
    Assassins Creed all are good
    oh and sniper elite v2

feck it buy all of them i love them all lol

except the sports games they are crap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

If you like open ended games +1 on Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas if your after something less dark :P
    I you know somebody with Fallout 3 GOTY, borrow it for a day and the expansions are free, although 4gb might be a bit skimpy ;) Oblivion and Skyrim too if you like the medieval theme. Red Dead and GTA are linear but open world as you most likely already know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The guy says he wants a recommendation for a non-linear Xbox 360 game, and nobody mentions Just Cause 2? Boards.ie I am disappoint.

One of the most fun games on the console, doing really cool stuff in amazing locations and generally wreaking havoc on everything, it's awesome! Download the demo, you get 20 mins game time and you get a taste for how fun it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

These are fresh in my mind because I recently watched Indie Game: The Movie

Braid
    Super Meat Boy
    Fez (although I haven't played a huge amount of it)

Advertisement