Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The gift that keeps on giving...

Options
  • 11-06-2012 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hello all! My baby is almost 4 weeks old and I noticed straight after the birth that my vision had gone down! I am very slightly short-sighted and only wear my glasses at the cinema and while driving but now everything's blurry.
    I was absolutely horrified to suddenly notice this drop and did some research (if you can call googling researching...), it seems to be a hormonal issue.
    Has this ever happened to someone here? If so, did your vision come back eventually?
    ... is there ANY part of us that doesn't get battered from pregnancy and childbirth! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

im also short sighted and was due to get new glasses while pregnant and the optician said that she would wait til 6 months after I have the baby cause your eye sight returns to normal then. Any changes up until then may be temporary but may also be permanent.

hope that helps.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My vision was fine but my brain definitely melted slightly :eek:

I had the memory span of a goldfish for ages after having him :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Omg...I've noticed for a while now that my vision isn't what it was. I don't wear glasses and my vision has always been fine...but for a while now I've noticed a change. I thought it was down to age...if its down to child birth I'm putting them on eBay...the kids not my eyes ;)

Hair loss was my major post pregnancy issue....it was horrendous....some peeps nick named me kojak

Ps forgot to say...congratulations lounakin xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Thank you Hannibal!
    I don't have the hairloss... but it might come later! Although I have so much hair it wouldn't matter. It's gotten so big and unmanageable since the pregnancy that I have to keep it constantly braided!
    Can't wait for my vision to come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My vision went *during* pregnancy... I think you're eyes can actually change shape slightly while you're pregnant! I'm not sure how long it takes for vision to go back to normal. I ended up getting a new prescription around 6/7 months after baby. But I'd usually have to get a new prescription every year anyway, so I can't put it down to pregnancy really!

Breastfeeding can delay the hairloss so don't worry that you're missing out on it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

stupid hormones...eye sight is shot, hair falling out, and it seems that all my joints are being funny, too - as if everything is tightening up again - leaving me stiff and sore (and my hip almost popped out of its socket when I bent down to tie my shoe. fun-tastic!)

thank god the kid is rather cute, is all I have to say :D (otherwise it'd be ebay for him, too! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

galah wrote: »
    stupid hormones...eye sight is shot, hair falling out, and it seems that all my joints are being funny, too - as if everything is tightening up again - leaving me stiff and sore (and my hip almost popped out of its socket when I bent down to tie my shoe. fun-tastic!)

The penny has dropped with me after reading this thread - thought I was imagining my lazy eye getting lazier! And I was going to get myself new glasses, better wait another few months so. I knew about the eyeball changing during pregnancy (my excuse for increased clumsiness), but thought it normalised after.

The last time I didn't notice the hair falling out, but boy did I notice it growing back - I grew a very fetching second fringe, the only thing I can compare it to is how my hair grew back after a misguided attempt at cutting my own hair in the 80s!

Take care of your joints Galah, do pilates or yoga when you can. I ended up with pelvic girdle pain on my last pregnancy (after a textbook first pregnancy) and the physio recommended that I strengthen my core, especially before getting pregnant again. I wish I had been told that after number one!

Speaking of 'keeps on giving'...is anyone else suffering from increased....em...'wind'....?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

Haha love the thread title! This happened me too, before having my son I only wore glasses for reading and driving now I find myself depending on them a lot more throughout the day. Same thing happened my cousin, it's mad... No wonder most grannies wear glasses if we're like this now after one child what will we be like after another few and grandkids! Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

my eye sight has gone back to normal now but Im going to be bald as hell soon:eek: was cleaning out drain after shower and scared the crap outta my hubby with the amount of hair.

the baby will soon have more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

I hear ya... My fingers are swollen and sore since :( Darn carpal tunnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

This thread is a tonic, there was me thinking I was alone in being a bit of a crock after labour :P

The eye sight is an interesting one, my sight has deteriorated a little bit since early labour, I hadn't thought of it as being related to pregnancy though!

My short term memory is ridiculously short too & my hair is still massively thick/course.
    I don't want to get it thinned out though in case the hormones kick in & it starts falling out in chunks like last time!

My stomach muscles have gone to hell this time, I'm definitely much squidgier this time compared to last & have a small hernia to confirm how lax they've gone!

Definitely all worth it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

xzanti wrote: »
    My vision was fine but my brain definitely melted slightly :eek:

Tell me about it. I've put the milk cartons in the oven twice last week, and dirty nappy went into the freezer.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Cap, i've come to the conclusion that I must only live on a minute by minute basis. There is no point in me trying to make plans too far into the future, because I'll never remember it. I saw a funny picture on FB the other day that said 'the biggest lie I tell myself is that there's no need for me to write things down, I'll remember them':D

Bstar...the hair loss was mad. During the pregnancy my hair flourished, was thick shiney like something from a l'oreal ad. Boy did I pay for it, I thought it was never going to stop falling out.

I got it all cut off and now you can still see how thin it is, but I can also see the little strands growing back woohoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

After my first I had dandruff like there was no tomorrow - I've never had it before (or since!) in my life but gad it was horrible for a couple months. I also broke out like a pubescent teen so I was quite the sight to behold :eek:

I would tell you all about how my brain's changed so much via baby brain, but truthfully, I can't remember how it was before I had kids...suffice to say I can suddenly understand why my mom could "lose" her car in parking lots but could always remember the milk's expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I had agonising tendonitis in my wrist and thumb during pregnancy, and it wasn't until the baby was 3 months old that it started to ease, and it wasn't entirely back to normal until 6 months. That's when my periods came back too (bastards), so I think for anything pregnancy related, it's at least 6 months before you start to worry about being stuck with it :)

Apart from the baby, you're stuck with that for longer

Speaking of 'keeps on giving'...is anyone else suffering from increased....em...'wind'....?

...em... yes!
    It's really annoying! I thought I was eating too many 'gassy' foods (which usually are vegetables) and it would make my daughter the same! But I think it's because our insides have been pushed around so much during the pregnancy that it takes times to get back into place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

foxinsocks wrote: »
    I had agonising tendonitis in my wrist and thumb during pregnancy

All of my fingers would seize up during the night in the last few months of pregnancy.. I would wake up for the toilet (a million times a night) and would have to pull them to straighten them out so I could grip the toilet roll (sorry, TMI) they would be completely rigid.

My GP had no idea what was causing it, it wasn't carpel tunnel syndrome, it was almost like I had arthritis.. Fun!

Edit: Oh I'm so glad someone else mentioned the wind thing :eek: I thought it was just me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

lounakin wrote: »
    I thought I was eating too many 'gassy' foods (which usually are vegetables) and it would make my daughter the same! But I think it's because our insides have been pushed around so much during the pregnancy that it takes times to get back into place.
    xzanti wrote: »
    Edit: Oh I'm so glad someone else mentioned the wind thing :eek: I thought it was just me :o

At least I'm not alone! It's really embarrassing and hard to control (and my other half reckons I'm not trying too hard:mad:). Bending down can be an air pollution hazard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Ah the memories......:D

My youngest is six and I'm still shedding so much hair the shower looks like it has shag carpeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My hair is growing back ... i put millions of reminders on my phone WITH alarms, i get text messages 'will you bring home milk' and i still forget.. my insides are nearly back to normal.. but there's so much confusion in the house with 4 kids from first year down to 8 months that some days i just give up... i have gone from fairly ocd about things being in the proper places to looking at the floor and wondering if i have carpet or wooden floors. . i sat this morning and realised that the tv the radio 2 laptops and an ipod were all on the go .. . .:rolleyes: i go to work for a rest .. . :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

foxinsocks wrote: »
    I had agonising tendonitis in my wrist and thumb during pregnancy, and it wasn't until the baby was 3 months old that it started to ease

I have this at the moment & danm it's sore, my baby is almost 10 weeks old so hopefully I will get some relief soon. My GP says it's known as 'mothers wrist' because it usually effects women from carrying their children around but I developed it in late pregnancy so I don't know what originally caused it!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

omg.. i thought i was imagining things with my eye sight, i didnt know it can decrease during or after pregnancy, i only really noticied the other night, im very short sighted so i depend on my glasses all the time, well my baby is three weeks tomorrow and during her nite feeds i could see the digital clock and make out the time however two nights ago that completly changed ehh i cant make out the numbers at all! Is it possible that there could be a delay with the whole eye sight thingy??

also for all you second time mothers out there, when should i expect my hair to fall out, eek i'm dreading that part,, oh god i hope i dont go bald... seriously pregnancy really takes it's toll on your body doesnt it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

cocoemma wrote: »

also for all you second time mothers out there, when should i expect my hair to fall out, eek i'm dreading that part,, oh god i hope i dont go bald... seriously pregnancy really takes it's toll on your body doesnt it!!!!!!

My hair didn't fall out as much the second time round, though. But occasionally I feel like tearing them out myself voluntarily -- my two bubs are 11 months apart, with the 2nd one born in March :rolleyes:

cocoemma wrote: »
    Is it possible that there could be a delay with the whole eye sight thingy??

I think it's definitely possible because I only noticed a week or so after my baby was born... same as you, doing something I've done a million times. But mine suddenly came back yesterday!!! I have been wearing my glasses all the time since the 2nd week and last night this is what happened: was surfing the internet with my glasses (screen is about 50 cm away from my face) while my partner was doing his shift with the baby during the awful witching hour (anyone experiencing this btw?) and then it was my turn. I got up, took the baby and went to a dark room for about 20 minutes. When I came back out I sat in front of the same screen without the glasses and behold!!!A miracle had occurred :) It's not back totally but it's much better.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    My hair didn't fall out as much the second time round, though. But occasionally I feel like tearing them out myself voluntarily -- my two bubs are 11 months apart, with the 2nd one born in March :rolleyes:

Lol I so get the tearing the hair out :D same here with (so far!) far less hair loss this time around :)

Lol I so get the tearing the hair out :D same here with (so far!) far less hair loss this time around :)

Aaaaaagh, spoke too soon. My hair is now falling out in small clumps & breaking at the top :eek:
    I'm bridesmaid in less than a month, I'll be bald by then at this rate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

As soon as I stopped breast feeding my hair started to fall out!! It's crazy! The shower is sooooo disgusting - and every time I look at my poor daughter she seems to have a hair somewhere stuck on her!!

Still have a large numb patch over my lovely section scar!

Every time I have too big a meal my tummy muscles are crap and so I look like I'm 5 months pregnant again..!

So not arsed loose the last 7lbs weight I mite just have to have another baby to put it off for another yr.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The gift that keeps on giving indeed. I thought I had not been doing my pelvic floor exercises right or something, but no, scans confirmed, prolapsed bladder from the pregnancy. Blast anyway. Not the sexiest thing ever... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

dublinlady wrote: »
    Still have a large numb patch over my lovely section scar!

Every time I have too big a meal my tummy muscles are crap and so I look like I'm 5 months pregnant again..!

This is so me, I can't feel my belly but I sure can see it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

pwurple wrote: »
    The gift that keeps on giving indeed. I thought I had not been doing my pelvic floor exercises right or something, but no, scans confirmed, prolapsed bladder from the pregnancy. Blast anyway. Not the sexiest thing ever... :(

I mean really - its not like u haven't gone thru enough!! How ridiculous... Mother nature takin the p*ss.... No pun intended ;)

Advertisement