Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junkies

• 11-06-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Was walking through O'Connell Street last night (not late mind, around 8PM) and was hassled no less than 4 times in the space of as many minutes by the zombies - one of whom was so off his tits shuffling about the place I was seriously considering ringing an ambulance on him before he inched off into the Burger King where they can keep an eye.

To me, it's an annoyance but I'm about as used to it as anyone else at this stage. What really gets up my goat is when I see them hassling tourists, as I did last night. What sort of image does that send out about Ireland, at a time when we really need the tourism?

Is it just me, or has the problem gotten worse in the last 2 or so years - every city in the country just seems to be crawling with junkies and the gardai do nothing about it. What can be done about this? Obviously our current ways of managing the problem aren't working out...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

What is it with burger king?? There was 2 asleep on the table when I walked by a few days ago.....and this was all I could see from the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Junkies- great bunch of lads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The problem has defo got worse over the last number of years.
    Used to be that there were always the odd few scag heads rambling around, now the place is feckin crawling with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You'd think they'd know better than to hassle tourists.
    Do they not realise the image of Ireland they're sending out, and the damage to the economy through loss of tourist revenue their actions might cause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

You were looking for cheap oral sex weren't you OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

syndeyfife wrote: »
    What is it with burger king?? There was 2 asleep on the table when I walked by a few days ago.....and this was all I could see from the street!
    no one else would eat in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Start giving them bad heroin instead of change. They will soon stop hasslin ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Not far removed from the scumbags on junkets.IMO. . .

Jester252 wrote: »
    no one else would eat in it

Ive never said no to a whopper....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Last time I was on the Red LUAS line, 2 of the boyos where shooting up down the back of it... at 4PM... with kids on the tram...

I always knew there was a heroin problem, but it just seems to be more pronounced of late...

Obviously the worst affected place for it is in Dublin, but I've noticed increases in Cork and Limerick too. What's the story here - why now?

• Advertisement

I lived in Cork for a few months in 2010, every day I walked through the city streets and holy moly the amount of junkies there compared to Dublin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Few days ago I came across these two junkies who were stopping and asking every person on the street for change. They also stopped this american looking couple for change and they refused. Then they headed off into Temple Bar crossing the road without waiting for the lights while the rest of us waited at the crossing for the pedestrian lights to go green. Then a soon I caught up with them in Temple Bar again as they were hassling more people to get some money. I stayed away from them and avoided them...

Then I came across this women near the quays with blood pouring from her face with two Garda talking to her, she too looked like she was off her face on heroin or meth or something and then was in a fight.

I really love Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

A Portuguese friend of mine made a great point that O'Connell is the main drop off place for tourists coming into Dublin and one of the first images of Dublin they get is the scangers/junkies roaming up and down the street like lost causes. Thank God I haven't been hassled by any - they must read my mind and cop that I'm a brown belt in karate!

A Portuguese friend of mine made a great point that O'Connell is the main drop off place for tourists coming into Dublin and one of the first images of Dublin they get is the scangers/junkies roaming up and down the street like lost causes. Thank God I haven't been hassled by any - they must read my mind and cop that I'm a brown belt in karate!

Either that or you look broke :p

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

This is Ireland after all, so long as a problem can be ignored it will be, so nothing will happen until a tourist gets stabbed to death on O'Connell street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I guess looking like a broke student has its advantages as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Was walking through O'Connell Street last night (not late mind, around 8PM) and was hassled no less than 4 times in the space of as many minutes by the zombies - one of whom was so off his tits shuffling about the place I was seriously considering ringing an ambulance on him before he inched off into the Burger King where they can keep an eye.

To me, it's an annoyance but I'm about as used to it as anyone else at this stage. What really gets up my goat is when I see them hassling tourists, as I did last night. What sort of image does that send out about Ireland, at a time when we really need the tourism?

Is it just me, or has the problem gotten worse in the last 2 or so years - every city in the country just seems to be crawling with junkies and the gardai do nothing about it. What can be done about this? Obviously our current ways of managing the problem aren't working out...

Well why do people turn to drugs? And why do people sell drugs? Why does a country let people ruin the streets because of their citizens dependence on drugs? What do you or anybody else reading do to ease the situation?

Ive never said no to a whopper....

Bah dum bum bum
    Thank you folks I'm here all week :D

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Bah dum bum bum
    Thank you folks I'm here all week :D

Took longer than I thought:D

Well why do people turn to drugs? And why do people sell drugs? Why does a country let people ruin the streets because of their citizens dependence on drugs? What do you or anybody else reading do to ease the situation?

Even if the gardai could keep them coralled off the main streets and tourist sectors it would be a start. We don't have the luxery of allowing tourists to go home with a bad impression of our country anymore if we can help it at all, especially not if it's to appease the zombies on their quest to hassle people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Perhaps we could round them all up and put them in camps?

Seriously though, why not turn somewhere like spike island into a big rehab centre where people are kept away from drugs for a good while, taught some skills and released when deemed appropriate? Methadone doesn't seem to do much good, neither does leaving addicts to roam the streets where they're surrounded by drugs even if they wanted to stop taking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

And would you have them shuffled off to a more isolated area, with less (witnesses) tourists, to hassle other people, who are out there working to rebuild this country by doing their jobs?

Took longer than I thought:D

Sorry, I was waiting on a bus :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Those junkies are right characters.

They're part of our culture and the tourists love them.

face1990 wrote: »
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. Perhaps we could round them all up and put them in camps?

Seriously though, why not turn somewhere like spike island into a big rehab centre where people are kept away from drugs for a good while, taught some skills and released when deemed appropriate? Methadone doesn't seem to do much good, neither does leaving addicts to roam the streets where they're surrounded by drugs even if they wanted to stop taking them.

Methodone has turned into a black market of its own, and has fuelled a surge in Benzo abuse. Heroin truly was a curse unleashed on this country...

Even if the gardai could keep them coralled off the main streets and tourist sectors it would be a start. We don't have the luxery of allowing tourists to go home with a bad impression of our country anymore if we can help it at all, especially not if it's to appease the zombies on their quest to hassle people...

You think Ireland relies on tourism? Dublin people are arrogant enough to think they are more Irish than the so called culchies! You find more junkies scangers in Dublin begging than any other place. The Pale population fail to realise that Cork and Kerry are more Irish and more Irish than the PALE! You don't see many heroin addicts begging in Kinsale or Clonakilty do you?
    Gotta edit this.... People abroad are so biased as to think Dublin is the real Ireland. Dublin is the most British, metropolitan part of Ireland anybody could visit. Real Ireland is outside of Dublin. And a lot of dublin people have surnames not common in Ireland. So Don't use tourism as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AdventRises

Allow me to translate the OPs post:

- I didnt give a f**k about the junkie.
    - I am glad he went into burger king leaving me the f**k alone.
    - I actually dont care about junkies bothering tourists. As the money isnt going to my pocket.
    - why arent the gardai doing something about this? my taxes, my taxes, my taxes.
    - I just dont want to be bothered by junkies.

I agree on the last bit op :) I dont want to be bothered by junkies. However, I wouldnt of added the BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I always knew there was a heroin problem, but it just seems to be more pronounced of late...

Obviously the worst affected place for it is in Dublin, but I've noticed increases in Cork and Limerick too. What's the story here - why now?

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not?

The recession has led to a huge amount of homelessness, which has in turn led to this. Yes, there's more to it than that but that's your broad answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

You think Ireland relies on tourism? Dublin people are arrogant enough to think they are more Irish than the so called culchies! You find more junkies scangers in Dublin begging than any other place. The Pale population fail to realise that Cork and Kerry are more Irish and more Irish than the PALE! You don't see many heroin addicts begging in Kinsale or Clonakilty do you?

How can one place in Ireland be more or less Irish then another. How is being a junkie not Irish? How is being a junkie defined by any nationality?

• Advertisement

Methodone has turned into a black market of its own, and has fuelled a surge in Benzo abuse. Heroin truly was a curse unleashed on this country...

As far as I can tell, a lot of addicts will never successfully beat their addiction as long as they have access to the drug. Methadone becomes a crutch, or just a replacement for heroin. So heroin addicts are left having to beat the addiction by will-power alone. It's no wonder they stay on it.

Prisons have a plentiful supply of drugs too.
    Is there anywhere addicts can go where they will be held, for a minimum period (and even against their will in my opinion. An addict may voluntarily enter rehab but not voluntarily stay once the withdrawals get bad enough) in a place where drugs are actually kept away from them?

You find more junkies scangers in Dublin begging than any other place. The Pale population fail to realise that Cork and Kerry are more Irish and more Irish than the PALE!

More addicts in Dublin is largely down to the larger population and greater availability of drugs.
    As for being 'more Irish', I have no idea what you're on about or how it's in any way relevant to the issue being discussed.

Gotta edit this.... People abroad are so biased as to think Dublin is the real Ireland. Dublin is the most British, metropolitan part of Ireland anybody could visit. Real Ireland is outside of Dublin. And a lot of dublin people have surnames not common in Ireland. So Don't use tourism as an excuse.

What in the name of god are you talking about? Dublin is in Ireland, therefore Dubs are Irish. What has that even got to do with anything in this thread? If Kinsale or Clonakilty don't have a junkie problem, then fair play to them - Cork city on the other hand is crawling with them, as is Dublin, as are many of the other major cities. Tourists go to these major cities, and are hassle-targets for idiot junkies. Them going back home and telling their friends "Ireland is a lovely country, but it seems to have a bad drug problem" is not the report we want or need going back to other potential tourists. Simples...

Allow me to translate the OPs post:

- I didnt give a f**k about the junkie.
    - I am glad he went into burger king leaving me the f**k alone.
    - I actually dont care about junkies bothering tourists. As the money isnt going to my pocket.
    - why arent the gardai doing something about this? my taxes, my taxes, my taxes.
    - I just dont want to be bothered by junkies.

I agree on the last bit op :) I dont want to be bothered by junkies. However, I wouldnt of added the BS.

I actually do care about junkies bothering tourists - they come here to spend money, which we need as the place is in a state of chasis. We need them telling their friends back home about how pleasant the place is (as they might decide to follow suit and come see for themselves, spending more money here in the process), not about how much of a drug problem we have here.

You mean to say there are actually people LIVING THERE? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

ahh Dublin. skange and junkie capital.

How can one place in Ireland be more or less Irish then another. How is being a junkie not Irish? How is being a junkie defined by any nationality?

Let me put it this way :
    I am from Wexford and Dub have always called me a culchie! They look down on native Wexfordians and have invaded North Wexford! Dubs and Liverpoolians have something in common: THE ACCENT! DUBS AND OUTSIDE THE PALE HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON : THEY ARE ON THE SAME ISLAND!
    Dubs think they are more Irish than the rest of the island because they are the capital but they are not more Irish!
    Americans come to Ireland thinking Dublin is the most Irish part and all they see is the sad displays Dublin has to offer while on some sad tour organised by American tour companies.
    If you want the real Ireland go to all 4 provinces! You can get a real taste then.. Dublin is not Ireland, it's just the administrative capital!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AdventRises

I actually do care about junkies bothering tourists - they come here to spend money, which we need as the place is in a state of chasis. We need them telling their friends back home about how pleasant the place is (as they might decide to follow suit and come see for themselves, spending more money here in the process), not about how much of a drug problem we have here.

Its funny :pac:
    The only aspect of my post you had an issue with was the tourism bit.
    But yet you stated "one of whom was so off his tits shuffling about the place I was seriously considering ringing an ambulance on him before he inched off into the Burger King where they can keep an eye." :pac:

.... of course after I said you didnt care about the junkie as long as he left you alone (rightfully so) but you say the above in response lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

How about euthanasia*? Pretend it's some heroin you're giving them and BAM, in goes some potassium chloride...

*definitely not murder

You mean to say there are actually people LIVING THERE? :eek:

Well if you had any pride in the beauty of your country you wouldn't criticize it so quickly...
    Do you think Australians living in the middle of the continent would criticize their area as quickly as you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

As far as I'm concerned alcohol has as bad an effect.
    Every weekend night, after any function or event, there
    are aggressive youths intimidating anyone who happens
    to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

Let me put it this way :
    I am from Wexford and Dub have always called me a culchie! They look down on native Wexfordians and have invaded North Wexford! Dubs and Liverpoolians have something in common: THE ACCENT! DUBS AND OUTSIDE THE PALE HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON : THEY ARE ON THE SAME ISLAND!
    Dubs think they are more Irish than the rest of the island because they are the capital but they are not more Irish!
    Americans come to Ireland thinking Dublin is the most Irish part and all they see is the sad displays Dublin has to offer while on some sad tour organised by American tour companies.
    If you want the real Ireland go to all 4 provinces! You can get a real taste then.. Dublin is not Ireland, it's just the administrative capital!

are you sure you're not on drugs yourself ?:confused:

• Advertisement

Let me put it this way :

Drink plenty of water before you go to pass out, and it'll take the edge off the sore head in the morning...

Well if you had any pride in the beauty of your country you wouldn't criticize it so quickly...
    Do you think Australians living in the middle of the continent would criticize their area as quickly as you!

I do love Ireland but jeezzz......

Clonakilty?????????????

Every time I think about places like THAT all I hear are banjo's.

Drink plenty of water before you go to pass out, and it'll take the edge off the sore head in the morning...

Obviously you know what you are talking about..

You drunk much?

Its funny :pac:
    The only aspect of my post you had an issue with was the tourism bit.
    But yet you stated "one of whom was so off his tits shuffling about the place I was seriously considering ringing an ambulance on him before he inched off into the Burger King where they can keep an eye." :pac:

.... of course after I said you didnt care about the junkie as long as he left you alone (rightfully so) but you say the above in response lol.

Absolutely correct - he looked in a bad way but I readily admit he wasn't my problem nor did I particularly want to make him so. Swaying around the street barely able to talk - the idea of ringing the ambulance crossed my mind the same as it would if I saw anyone in a bad way. He went into burger king, where others could keep an eye on him if he collapsed or whatever, and ceased to be my concern if he ever was - I don't make apologies for that...

Not sure what exact point you are trying to make, or why my actions are important enough to you to have a go at me. Perhaps you are looking for an argument? *shrug* :confused:

Obviously you know what you are talking about..

You drunk much?

I'm talking about the thread topic... you appear to want to talk about something completely different (how Dubs aren't really Irish or some similar nonsense)... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

face1990 wrote: »

For one very good reason… we are soooooo pc it's madding it has become unreal idiots fools criminals junkies thugs have no fear or care and I'd you try to do anything or say anything the pc bridge are up in arms
    This country needs a leader with a set of Mega balls to stand up to all these pc and anti groups ( who by the way get grants) and tell them where to go
    Lock down the ffing prisons to stop drugs getting in and clean up our streets from all the scum without all this namby bamby bs

For one very good reason… we are soooooo pc it's madding it has become unreal idiots fools criminals junkies thugs have no fear or care and I'd you try to do anything or say anything the pc bridge are up in arms
    This country needs a leader with a set of Mega balls to stand up to all these pc and anti groups ( who by the way get grants) and tell them where to go
    Lock down the ffing prisons to stop drugs getting in and clean up our streets from all the scum without all this namby bamby bs

I agree completely. A harder line needs to be taken with this issue, and a number of others too. I'm all for people's rights and freedoms, but not when it's infringing on other people's.
    If you choose to engage in illegal activities then you should expect to forfeit some of your rights as a result, so long as the ultimate goal is get criminals and addicts rehabilitated so they can then contribute to society in a positive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Clitlady

People here seem to forget that junkies are real people with real souls too you know?

Clitlady wrote: »
    People here seem to forget that junkies are real people with real souls too you know?

They leave their soul at the door when they rob and torment the living life out of people

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Clitlady

They leave their soul at the door when they rob and torment the living life out of people

It is what this FG government and society in general has reduced them too, should we make them pay the rest of their lives on account of one mistake(starting heroin?)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement