Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junkies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Clitlady wrote: »
    It is what this FG government and society in general has reduced them too, should we make them pay the rest of their lives on account of one mistake(starting heroin?)

Nothing to do with government imo
    Live next door to a dose of them and then get back to me about your new "Pals".

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Obviously you know what you are talking about..

You drunk much?

I'm talking about the thread topic... you appear to want to talk about something completely different (how Dubs aren't really Irish or some similar nonsense)... :confused:
    I am highlighting how Dubs think the rest of Ireland is subhuman yet the streets of Dublin make the city look awful tarnishing the tourism of the nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

People here seem to forget that junkies are real people with real souls too you know?

Of course. That's why I think they should be made to undergo proper cold-turkey rehabilition so that they can make a life for themselves rather than being left to wander the streets until they eventually overdose/get murdered/die from exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Clitlady

face1990 wrote: »
    Of course. That's why I think they should be made to undergo proper cold-turkey rehabilition so that they can make a life for themselves rather than being left to wander the streets until they eventually overdose/get murdered/die from exposure.

Governmetn sponsered rehab is indeed the answer to this problem

Yeah that's the answer
    Throw more money at junkies

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Yeah that's the answer

Just leave them to kill themselves so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I am highlighting how Dubs think the rest of Ireland is subhuman yet the streets of Dublin make the city look awful tarnishing the tourism of the nation.

Well as a Dub, on behalf of all Dubs I would like to assure the esteemed sandmanporto that people from parts of Ireland that are not Dublin are in fact fully human... with the possible exception of people from Tipperary :pac:

I would also like to advise him, that drinking plenty of fluids before going to sleep can really make a hangover more bearable the next morninging...

And hard-line rehab at that. Handing out methadone appears to be doing sweet shag-all.

Sandmanporto, I don't know where in this thread it says the rest of Ireland is 'subhuman'. I don't know if you've got a chip on the shoulder or are just spoiling for an arguement, but the topic of this thread is heroin addicts. You could start another thread if you want to discuss something else.

Just leave them to kill themselves so??

Absolutely and not a moment too soon imo

• Advertisement

Well as a Dub, on behalf of all Dubs I would like to assure the esteemed sandmanporto that people from parts of Ireland that are not Dublin are in fact fully human... with the possible exception of people from Tipperary :pac:

I would also like to advise him, that drinking plenty of fluids before going to sleep can really make a hangover more bearable the next morninging...

My money was on Leitrim :D:pac:

Yeah that's the answer

I can understand why you feel like that, but the heroin problem won't solve itself. But maybe if the money already being spent on it was spent in a better way we could start to see some results.

Absolutely and not a moment too soon imo

Thats an awful thing to say, how would you fell if one of your children or your partner was a junky???

Thats an awful thing to say, how would you fell if one of your children or your partner was a junky???

You spelled junkie wrong and I have a sneaky that you may live under a bridge but I'll play along..................

You obviously have never had first hand dealings with these "people" and I use that term loosely. They are subhuman imo

Live next door to them, see how they live.
    See what they do to their children.

No sympathy for the self inflicted
    Huge sympathy for their children and wider community that has to endure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

Few days ago I came across these two junkies who were stopping and asking every person on the street for change. They also stopped this american looking couple for change and they refused. Then they headed off into Temple Bar crossing the road without waiting for the lights while the rest of us waited at the crossing for the pedestrian lights to go green. Then a soon I caught up with them in Temple Bar again as they were hassling more people to get some money. I stayed away from them and avoided them...

Then I came across this women near the quays with blood pouring from her face with two Garda talking to her, she too looked like she was off her face on heroin or meth or something and then was in a fight.

I really love Dublin!!

Is this a load of bollôcks or what? Why post such boring shîte?

You spelled junkie wrong and I have a sneaky that you may live under a bridge but I'll play along..................

You obviously have never had first hand dealings with these "people" and I use that term loosely. They are subhuman imo

Live next door to them, see how they live.
    See what they do to their children.

No sympathy for the self inflicted
    Huge sympathy for their children and wider community that has to endure them.

Whats how i spell got to do with anything?? I dont love junkies either but i wish the death of no one, Im a firm believer that everyone has a soul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

EURATS wrote: »

Do you want me to post about the fire breathing dragons I encountered on Parnell Street then?

Whats how i spell got to do with anything?? I dont love junkies either but i wish the death of no one, Im a firm believer that everyone has a soul

Meh
    I notice you chose to not reply to the rest of what I posted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

EURATS wrote: »

Do you want me to post about the fire breathing dragons I encountered on Parnell Street then?

U just have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hershal

Its clear to me that the heroin problem in ireland has increased in line with the increased poverty as a result of this depression. I live in cavan town and just the other day some children here got poked with needles that had been abandonned by junkies. Its scary that this can happen and its definatly an issue that needs to be addressed on a national scale. I dont think people should be so quick to judge drug users and dealers though, people dont normally choose these callings in life, circumstance and social pressure are strong factors.

Meh
    I notice you chose to not reply to the rest of what I posted :rolleyes:

too tired, my arguement stands, lets agree to disagree on this issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Perhaps we could round them all up and put them in camps?

Seriously though, why not turn somewhere like spike island into a big rehab centre where people are kept away from drugs for a good while, taught some skills and released when deemed appropriate? Methadone doesn't seem to do much good, neither does leaving addicts to roam the streets where they're surrounded by drugs even if they wanted to stop taking them.

Spike was a Heroin free prison, Previous Cork criminal's had a sort of rule in which if you brought Heroin into the city you would be shunned or beaten, Spike was closed at the same time as the Hash drought of 2006 so these young prisoners were sent into St Pat's where Heroin was aplenty and they came back as addicts and the former Hash dealers lost their clout as they had nothing to sell so Heroin took over, I know I live on the street where it started been sold before it moved all across the city.
    They leave their soul at the door when they rob and torment the living life out of people

Two of my best friends died from the Heroin, I despise the stuff and I shun anyone taking it, Both my friends died very rapidly after using the filth and honestly I'm actually glad they never became thieving scum from it, They were not bad people but had they stayed alive who know's what they would have become, Its ironic how one of these lads was related to the family who introduced Heroin to Ballyfermot and also related to the worst family in Limerick but he was not a bad man, He wouldn't have been my friend if he was.
    hershal wrote: »
    Its clear to me that the heroin problem in ireland has increased in line with the increased poverty as a result of this depression. I live in cavan town and just the other day some children here got poked with needles that had been abandonned by junkies. Its scary that this can happen and its definatly an issue that needs to be addressed on a national scale. I dont think people should be so quick to judge drug users and dealers though, people dont normally choose these callings in life, circumstance and social pressure are strong factors.

Its spread everywhere now and I don't see the Gardaí doing much about it, They are still stuck in the past where Cannabis is their public enemy no 1. There's definitely some agenda behind it I find it very odd, Ireland is a tiny country it can't be too hard to prevent Heroin coming in, I think the Army should be involved in preventing shipments coming in as the Gardaí are not up to the job, Too many major players in the drug game are informers so the Army wouldn't have anything to lose by preventing this poison entering our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

hershal wrote: »
    I dont think people should be so quick to judge drug users and dealers though, people dont normally choose these callings in life, circumstance and social pressure are strong factors.

You could debate the users but the dealers? To become so addicted to drugs that you lose everything, is somewhat idiotic, the person that your everything goes to, is much more clever. I have no sympathy for anyone that feels the need to ruin other lives to make a living. What about everyone else that suffers in life, do they all turn to dealing?

Two of my best friends died from the Heroin, I despise the stuff and I shun anyone taking it, Both my friends died very rapidly after using the filth and honestly I'm actually glad they never became thieving scum from it, They were not bad people but had they stayed alive who know's what they would have become, Its ironic how one of these lads was related to the family who introduced Heroin to Ballyfermot and also related to the worst family in Limerick but he was not a bad man, He wouldn't have been my friend if he was.

I sympathise for your loss.
    But in the real world we know what happens when heroin takes hold.
    It destroys everything around it, not just the person who uses.

I sympathise for your loss.
    But in the real world we know what happens when heroin takes hold.
    It destroys everything around it, not just the person who uses.

You are right there, but you cant destroy the soul, it is an intangible thing that no drug dealer can get to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

You are right there, but you cant destroy the soul, it is an intangible thing that no drug dealer can get to

That's very true indeed, Thank's.

Former addict's should be involved in preventative educational classes for our youth.
    My friend was a former addict before I knew him and something just brought him back to it, To see a good looking healthy popular young man waste away to nothing and become increasingly erratic and finally die all in the space of a month was horrible.

My best friend's death itself came as no surprise but the fact it was from Heroin was a big surprise I had no idea he was using it, He actually had being getting his life in order but I'd say the damage had been done at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

And hard-line rehab at that. Handing out methadone appears to be doing sweet shag-all.

Sandmanporto, I don't know where in this thread it says the rest of Ireland is 'subhuman'. I don't know if you've got a chip on the shoulder or are just spoiling for an arguement, but the topic of this thread is heroin addicts. You could start another thread if you want to discuss something else.

Hard line rehab does not work, methadone has it problems alright; but I can tell you the problem would be much worse if we stopped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

syndeyfife wrote: »
    and holy moly the amount of ...

I really hope this phrase comes back into fashion, this and 'Jane-ee Mac'

Are you 90 Sydneyfife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Was walking through O'Connell Street last night (not late mind, around 8PM) and was hassled no less than 4 times in the space of as many minutes by the zombies - one of whom was so off his tits shuffling about the place I was seriously considering ringing an ambulance on him before he inched off into the Burger King where they can keep an eye.

I guess after spending a gruelling week in a soul crushing and meaningless job in the financial services sector some people like to blow off a bit of steam at the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

As dealers were brought up I like the Chinese solution to this straight up shoot them in the head …period !!!!bet it would help but again bloody pc brigade
    I know some here will be all "shocked" by that but these people are dealing death and destruction and the punishment should fit the crime

As for the users less of the namby pamby people DECIDE to take drugs in the first place we have plenty of small islands of the west couast
    Caught using drugs packed off to one no choice no pc crap hard core rehab go back on the drugs once released straight 5 year term in a lock down third time your use to civilised society is no longer needed

As dealers were brought up I like the Chinese solution to this straight up shoot them in the head …period !!!!bet it would help but again bloody pc brigade
    I know some here will be all "shocked" by that but these people are dealing death and destruction and the punishment should fit the crime

As for the users less of the namby pamby people DECIDE to take drugs in the first place we have plenty of small islands of the west couast
    Caught using drugs packed off to one no choice no pc crap hard core rehab go back on the drugs once released straight 5 year term in a lock down third time your use to civilised society is no longer needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

A Portuguese friend of mine made a great point that O'Connell is the main drop off place for tourists coming into Dublin and one of the first images of Dublin they get is the scangers/junkies roaming up and down the street like lost causes. Thank God I haven't been hassled by any - they must read my mind and cop that I'm a brown belt in karate!

They always hassle me...must see that I am a brown pants in sh1tting myself.

They leave their soul at the door when they rob and torment the living life out of people

It is what this FG government and society in general has reduced them too, should we make them pay the rest of their lives on account of one mistake(starting heroin?)
    It is this type of reaction as to why nothing "real" gets done they gave up there rights the minute they decided to use drugs and become a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Pussnboots

The approach to how people who use heroin needs to change, instead of spending money on non effective treating of the addiction needs to stop with more money needed to be spent on prevention. The treatment course also needs to change with the ceasing of prescribing of methadone as this in most cases only leads to dual dependancy. The government needs to start viewing the issue from a harm reduction ethos, increase the number of needle exchanges as the lack of these are why heroin users leave their spikes everywhere. Also access to treatment services needs to be easier and increased, there isn't enough to meet with the demand that is required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

I seen one on the quays last week, literally passed out on the ground, not even huddled in a corner, asleep like a starfish on the ground, and people were just stepping over him. I was on a bus at the time but I rang an ambulance. I don't understand how people can just walk past somebody in that state. Obviously for the most part it was a bad choice they made by themselves, but they still need help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

As for the users less of the namby pamby people DECIDE to take drugs in the first place

+1. How could anyone who starts taking heroin be under the illusion that things will end well for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Crash Override

I can't stand them. They all need to be eradicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i dont get people who feel sorry for junkies... it may be addictive, but if you are that much of a fúckin eejit to try it in the first place.... :mad:

they are destroying dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Story Bud!

I think it was in the Sunday World yesterday that 1500 addicts a day (IIRC) descend on O'Connell Street every day for the heroin.

The city is awash with these scum, and I assure you that I'm fully human and can vouch for a few others from Tipperary on that score too:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Pussnboots

bogmanfan wrote: »
    As for the users less of the namby pamby people DECIDE to take drugs in the first
    place

+1. How could anyone who starts taking heroin be under the illusion that things will end well for them?

They want to try it n think they can without getting addicted. However the first time a person uses heroin it's not a nice experience, (constant vomiting and so on) so the high is not that great so they end up using again which at that point leads to another and before they know it they can't get out of bed with a turn on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Free heroin administered by medical professionals at discrete satellite clinics far from the central business district will solve the problem. With no buyers for their heroin, the dealers will give up and addiction amongst younger people will drop massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I was seriously considering ringing an ambulance on him

Please dont waste the HSE's time. They're already short enough on resources as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

I dont know which is the worse, the junkies or the Roma begging women, using their kids as an excuse to beg. All give a bad impression of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Methodone has turned into a black market of its own, and has fuelled a surge in Benzo abuse.

I'd go with that.. and also say that benzodiazepines are worse than Heroin, for withdrawal. The amount of myth and tat about Heroin is unreal, as if it is the worst of the worst, it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I dont know which is the worse, the junkies or the Roma begging women, using their kids as an excuse to beg. All give a bad impression of Ireland.

both pale in comparison to the chuggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Yeah that's the answer

wow you must like.......

Know loads about the problem....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I have worked around Lower Abbey street for the last 6 years and definately noticed an increase in the last 18 months of junkies congregating on the street. In the last month there has been an increased Garda presence on O'Connel street but they seem to be herding them into Abbey street moreso than anything else. The amount of dealing out in the open is unreal something really needs to be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

caff wrote: »
    I have worked around Lower Abbey street for the last 6 years and definately noticed an increase in the last 18 months of junkies congregating on the street. In the last month there has been an increased Garda presence on O'Connel street but they seem to be herding them into Abbey street moreso than anything else. The amount of dealing out in the open is unreal something really needs to be done about it.

Isn't there a clinic on Abbey St? I used to work around there too and it was unreal for junkies (still is I presume). Worst I ever saw was on the corner of Abbey St/Marlborough St when a woman pushing a pram leaned her child forward, took out drugs from behind the child's back and handed them off to a passing 'customer', what chance has the kid got? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

kfallon wrote: »
    Isn't there a clinic on Abbey St? I used to work around there too and it was unreal for junkies (still is I presume). Worst I ever saw was on the corner of Abbey St/Marlborough St when a woman pushing a pram leaned her child forward, took out drugs from behind the child's back and handed them off to a passing 'customer', what chance has the kid got? :(
    First memory that kid will have of a Guard will more than likely be of them hassling his/her parents, kid doesn't have a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Perhaps we could round them all up and put them in camps?

Seriously though, why not turn somewhere like spike island into a big rehab centre where people are kept away from drugs for a good while, taught some skills and released when deemed appropriate? Methadone doesn't seem to do much good, neither does leaving addicts to roam the streets where they're surrounded by drugs even if they wanted to stop taking them.

Methadone doesn't do much good because it's simply replacing a dependency with another dependency.

As controversial as it is, heroin clinics seem to work well. People have an adverse reaction to the concept but when dealing with drug abuse you basically need to decide do you want to cure the junkie of their addiction (which is costly, normally fails badly and usually is attempted through a flawed process) or do you want to limit the junkies adverse affect of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

The only solution to the problem is to euthanise the long time users who can never be rehabilitated. this may seem a bit extreme but I would gladly welcome a program which involved rounding them up and ridding them from this earth!

Not only are they a nuisance to everyone but they also cost the state ridiculous amounts of money. I propose a referendum to get this national euthanasia project started!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement