Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junkies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

The rise of the drug problem is due to how easy Ireland is to get into from Europe and EU Laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The rise of the drug problem is due to how easy Ireland is to get into from Europe and EU Laws.

Combined with a very slow authority reaction to a very real threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Last time I was on the Red LUAS line, 2 of the boyos where shooting up down the back of it... at 4PM... with kids on the tram...

I always knew there was a heroin problem, but it just seems to be more pronounced of late...

Obviously the worst affected place for it is in Dublin, but I've noticed increases in Cork and Limerick too. What's the story here - why now?

But if you dare embark without a valid ticket God help ya :rolleyes:

The only solution to the problem is to euthanise the long time users who can never be rehabilitated. this may seem a bit extreme but I would gladly welcome a program which involved rounding them up and ridding them from this earth!

Not only are they a nuisance to everyone but they also cost the state ridiculous amounts of money. I propose a referendum to get this national euthanasia project started!

Whatever about euthanaisia, I certainly would support a sterilisation project. There's nothing sadder than seeing a beautiful little baby being wheeled around abbey street by strung out parents swapping their methadone for pills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭francois

A test was run in Brighton over the last few years whereby chronic users were supplied heroin on script by a doctor, with clean needles-They also had to accept training courses.
    The cost of supplying these addicts is minimal compared to the street stuff, it is pure and the needles are clean-
    Crime dropped, addicts could remove the chaotic element to their lives and money saved all round
    Meanwhile here we give them methadone which is more addictive and toxic than heroin.
    Time for some joined up thinking

Pussnboots wrote: »
    They want to try it n think they can without getting addicted. However the first time a person uses heroin it's not a nice experience, (constant vomiting and so on) so the high is not that great so they end up using again which at that point leads to another and before they know it they can't get out of bed with a turn on
    There was me thinking the poor eejits got a high the first time and became addicts because they were always chasing the first experience. Now you tell me that they actually had to persevere to become addicted? It's like, "heroin, an acquired taste" lol. Gawd, I thought they were stupid before but they have just fallen much further in my esteem....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Whatever about euthanaisia, I certainly would support a sterilisation project. There's nothing sadder than seeing a beautiful little baby being wheeled around abbey street by strung out parents swapping their methadone for pills.

You most certainly live up to your username.

You most certainly live up to your username.
    What relevant input :D

What's your opinion of the scenario described?

What relevant input :D

What's your opinion of the scenario described?

What, the off topic banging on about junkie kids?

My opinion is that most of the damage done to these kids is a consequence of their parents addiction. I think anyone that actually cared about the kids would have to admit that heroin clinics would also help in these cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Ballymun is a fine example of how the governments approach does not work. It was the most expensive regeneration in European history. The government literally spent billions on the place, new estates, drug clinics, user outreach programs etc etc.

You know what I see when I look out my window day in day out? Junkies dealing, junkies looking for heroin, scum of the Earth I have no sympathy for them.

There are at least 3 houses on my estate that are literally drug shops, with actual queus of junkies waiting to be served, The Gardai and the council know about this, they have cameras all over the place and its been reported a thousand times by the residents and NOTHING has been done.

Once a Gardai told me when I tried to complain "Sure it's Ballymun, what did you expect?"

This is the attitude the Gardai have towards the problem, the "So what?" attitude.

• Advertisement

What, the off topic banging on about junkie kids?

My opinion is that most of the damage done to these kids is a consequence of their parents addiction. I think anyone that actually cared about the kids would have to admit that heroin clinics would also help in these cases.

I think you'll find it was on topic - given that we are talking about junkies...and I made the point about the sad situation that junkies children end up in...no offence but it's not a hard point to understand.

By your own admission these children are being damaged by their parents actions.

Also, where did I dispute that heroin clinincs would help in the cases where children have already been born? It doesn take a genius to figure out that the "sterilisation" point pertains to children who have not been born yet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Firstly heroin is soul destroying, its the epitome of soul destroying. The first time you use it, its the best high you'll ever imagine. The second time, the addiction takes hold. You crave it after that.
    There's a brilliant poem on the internet, probably called heroin. Can't get it on my phone. Would really help some to understand it.
    I was on the radio recently talking about drugs and the effects they have. We spoke about children, the idea someone had was that if you receive meth at a clinic, you should be made to take contraception. If you sign up for treatment, you don't get it unless you get the contraceptive injection. Doesn't solve anything, but it would help.

When asked why they seem more focused on other drugs, cannabis etc...the gards have previously said that they are combating the gateway drugs. I've seen it happen so many times. Won't have the same kick so they move onto something bigger and better.

In my experience, rehab doesn't work. I read a statistic not long ago that said 90% of addicts that go to rehab relapse not long after leaving and end up back where they started. That's all types of addictions, I dread to hear the statistic on heroin recovery. You're always an addict, if you stop taking the drug you're a recovering addict for life.

I think you'll find it was on topic - given that we are talking about junkies...and I made the point about the sad situation that junkies children end up in...no offence but it's not a hard point to understand.

Your post was a brief admittance of a scenario that makes you sad, followed by a retarded solution to bring YOU a bit of relief. It wasn't about either junkies or there kids, it was about you.
    By your own admission these children are being damaged by their parents actions.

Well done, you can read. But apparently not that well....
    Also, where did I dispute that heroin clinincs would help in the cases where children have already been born? It doesn take a genius to figure out that the "sterilisation" point pertains to children who have not been born yet :rolleyes:

Where did I say you didn't, please quote the relevant post. To descend so quickly into misinterpretation of my posts implies you are just looking for something to be outraged about on a Monday morning.

To reiterate, your sterilisation plan doesn't solve any problem, many people will become junkies AFTER the birth of a child. It's just something you have rattling around in your brain to make you feel a bit better, giving you the illusion that you are capable of finding solutions to societies big problems.

It's okay though, it's a very common affliction.

- I destroy homes, tear families apart, take your children, and that's just the start. I'm more costly than diamonds, more costly than gold, the sorrow I bring is a sight to behold, and if u need me, remember I'm easily found. I live all around you, in schools and in town. I live with the rich, I live with the poor, I live down the street, and maybe next door. My power is awesome; try me........................... you'll see, but if you do, you may never break free. Just try me once and I might let you go, but try me twice, and I'll own your soul. When I possess you, you'll steal and you'll lie. You do what you have to just to get high. The crimes you'll commit, for my narcotic charms will be worth the pleasure you'll feel in your arms. You'll lie to your mother; you'll steal from your dad When you see their tears, you should feel sad. But you'll forget your morals and how you were raised, I'll be your conscience, I'll teach you my ways. I take kids from parents, and parents from kids, I turn people from god, and separate from friends. I'll take everything from you, your looks and your pride, I'll be with you always, right by your side. You'll give up everything your family, your home, your friends, your money, then you'll be alone. I'll take and take, till you have nothing more to give. When I'm finished with you you'll be lucky to live. If you try me be warned this is no game. If given the chance, I'll drive you insane. I'll ravish your body; I'll control your mind. I'll own you completely; your soul will be mine. The nightmares I'll give you while lying in bed, the voices you'll hear from inside your head, the sweats, the shakes, the visions you'll see; I want you to know, these are all gifts from me, But then it's too late, and you'll know in your heart, that you are mine, and we shall not part. You'll regret that you tried me, they always do, but you came to me, not I to you. You knew this would happen. Many times you were told, but you challenged my power, and chose to be bold. You could have said no, and just walked away, If you could live that day over, now what would you say? I'll be your master; you will be my slave, I'll even go with you, when you go to your grave. Now that you have met me , what will you do? Will you try me or not? Its all up to you. I can bring you more misery than words can tell. Come take my hand, let me lead you to hell..

I know its long, but its very powerful..

Your post was a brief admittance of a scenario that makes you sad, followed by a retarded solution to bring YOU a bit of relief. It wasn't about either junkies or there kids, it was about you.

Well done, you can read. But apparently not that well....

Where did I say you didn't, please quote the relevant post. To descend so quickly into misinterpretation of my posts implies you are just looking for something to be outraged about on a Monday morning.

To reiterate, your sterilisation plan doesn't solve any problem, many people will become junkies AFTER the birth of a child. It's just something you have rattling around in your brain to make you feel a bit better, giving you the illusion that you are capable of finding solutions to societies big problems.

It's okay though, it's a very common affliction.

You're a nasty individual aren't you? I notice you decided to nit-pick my comment about sterilisation but glossed over another poster's who suggested euthanaisia. Only target specific posters do we? Nice.

And while you are accusing me of "looking for something to be outraged about on a monday morning" please remember the fact that you posted to me first...with an insult.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    - I destroy homes, tear families apart, take your children, and that's just the start. I'm more costly than diamonds, more costly than gold, the sorrow I bring is a sight to behold, and if u need me, remember I'm easily found. I live all around you, in schools and in town. I live with the rich, I live with the poor, I live down the street, and maybe next door. My power is awesome; try me........................... you'll see, but if you do, you may never break free. Just try me once and I might let you go, but try me twice, and I'll own your soul. When I possess you, you'll steal and you'll lie. You do what you have to just to get high. The crimes you'll commit, for my narcotic charms will be worth the pleasure you'll feel in your arms. You'll lie to your mother; you'll steal from your dad When you see their tears, you should feel sad. But you'll forget your morals and how you were raised, I'll be your conscience, I'll teach you my ways. I take kids from parents, and parents from kids, I turn people from god, and separate from friends. I'll take everything from you, your looks and your pride, I'll be with you always, right by your side. You'll give up everything your family, your home, your friends, your money, then you'll be alone. I'll take and take, till you have nothing more to give. When I'm finished with you you'll be lucky to live. If you try me be warned this is no game. If given the chance, I'll drive you insane. I'll ravish your body; I'll control your mind. I'll own you completely; your soul will be mine. The nightmares I'll give you while lying in bed, the voices you'll hear from inside your head, the sweats, the shakes, the visions you'll see; I want you to know, these are all gifts from me, But then it's too late, and you'll know in your heart, that you are mine, and we shall not part. You'll regret that you tried me, they always do, but you came to me, not I to you. You knew this would happen. Many times you were told, but you challenged my power, and chose to be bold. You could have said no, and just walked away, If you could live that day over, now what would you say? I'll be your master; you will be my slave, I'll even go with you, when you go to your grave. Now that you have met me , what will you do? Will you try me or not? Its all up to you. I can bring you more misery than words can tell. Come take my hand, let me lead you to hell..

Where did you get this?

You're a nasty individual aren't you? I notice you decided to nit-pick my comment about sterilisation but glossed over anoter poster's who suggested euthanaisia. Only target specific posters do we? Nice.

Nope, I gave you some credit because the euthanaisia comment was obviously so stupid that I simply decided the poster wasn't worth interacting with.

You got some credit for dialing it back a notch.

Once again, please quote the post I made claiming you were disputing the effectiveness of heroin clinics. Anytime you feel like saying you were wrong about that and misinterpreted my post for your own ends then feel free to do so.
    And while you are accusing me of "looking for something to be outraged about on a monday morning" please remember the fact that you posted to me first...with an insult.

Which at the time you took as a joke, seeming to accept my commentary on your post content and username. Now you decide you are insulted by it? Fair enough, report the post if you deem it insulting enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Powerful stuff, thanks for sharing it!

I agree with a sterilization programme for those still taking. Basically addicts should be offered a choice - extensive rehab with the aim of getting them clean, or free heroin administered by medical professionals a long ways from central business districts (as another poster suggested) with the stipulation that they get their tubes tied in the case of women/the big snip in the case of men. Both are reversable if they ever decide to get clean.

If you have addicts for parents, the odds are very, very stacked against you, because the drug will always come first...

Nope, I gave you some credit because the euthanaisia comment was obviously so stupid that I simply decided the poster wasn't worth interacting with.

You got some credit for dialing it back a notch.

Once again, please quote the post I made claiming you were disputing the effectiveness of heroin clinics. Anytime you feel like saying you were wrong about that and misinterpreted my post for your own ends then feel free to do so.

Which at the time you took as a joke, seeming to accept my commentary on your post content and username. Now you decide you are insulted by it? Fair enough, report the post if you deem it insulting enough.

Word gymnastics. Love it. Then again after 5,331 posts you've probably had a lot of practice.

You decided to launch an attack on me (by telling me I "live up to my username"). Instant hostility common among posters who wish to bash others who dare to hold different views. Then you try to engage me in some kind of snide, point-scoring word gymnastics. Not interested.

• Advertisement

I agree with a sterilization programme for those still taking. Basically addicts should be offered a choice - extensive rehab with the aim of getting them clean, or free heroin administered by medical professionals a long ways from central business districts (as another poster suggested) with the stipulation that they get their tubes tied in the case of women/the big snip in the case of men. Both are reversable if they ever decide to get clean.

If you have addicts for parents, the odds are very, very stacked against you, because the drug will always come first...

Agree. And the reversibility should they prove themselves as capable people is certainly a strong argument in favour of the proposal.

Okay, lets (for a second) assume some kind of sense behind the concept of sterilisation...have any of your guys put two and two together and come to the conclusion that removing any requirement for condoms from a sample population traditionally at risk of something like HIV/AIDS might just lead to an explosion of said cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Do people hear have any idea of prefessional ethics? Not professional I know would work in an enforced rehad situation never mind the sterilization, thankfully. The mind boggle really:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Oldnwise and Logical Fallacy,
    Cut it out or take it to PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Is that about Madonna?

Okay, lets (for a second) assume some kind of sense behind the concept of sterilisation...have any of your guys put two and two together and come to the conclusion that removing any requirement for condoms from a sample population traditionally at risk of something like HIV/AIDS might just lead to an explosion of said cases?

GIving the women a contraceptive injection doesn't mean they'll stop using condoms...of course they would be given some also, but you can't glue one to the men can you? Condoms are their own choice, but pro creating shouldn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

How many of these people do you really believe use condoms???? Because that's there big worry!!!
    I think if you take the dealers out of it it would massively reduce the overall problem quite simple anyone found dealing drugs death sencetance

How many of these people do you really believe use condoms???? Because that's there big worry!!!
    I think if you take the dealers out of it it would massively reduce the overall problem quite simple anyone found dealing drugs death sencetance

Quite a lot, they are given out in cliniic I work in and we go through a lot of them.

The only solution to the problem is to euthanise the long time users who can never be rehabilitated. this may seem a bit extreme but I would gladly welcome a program which involved rounding them up and ridding them from this earth!

Not only are they a nuisance to everyone but they also cost the state ridiculous amounts of money. I propose a referendum to get this national euthanasia project started!

Sorry to Godwin the thread, but how would that sound if it referred to other social groups? I know what it reminds me of?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

I have to say, some of the ideas in this thread could potentially help Dublin and other cities with heroin problems.

I think there should be clinics set up where junkies get

Free heroin injected by a nurse
    Plenty of free condoms and maybe given 'the bar' or 'the coil', I dont know how you could stop men from spreading the seed because you'd be doing very well to get junkies to take that option but in fairness id say junkies only bang other junkies so just doing the women would be fine imo.
    At anytime, a junkie can walk into one of the clinics and decide to get clean and be sent to a remote island for as long as it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Junkies are a legitimate ethnic minority whose roots can be traced back to the plains of Africa. In 2002 ErectusJunkious was discovered in Ethiopia. EJ whilst closely resembling its homo sapien cousins has extreme hip joint wearing due to many years of shuffling after prey. In 2009 a cluster of remains were discovered in a cave near the Lebanese village of Ah-A-Jaaysus many with their right hand missing, presumably bitten off by ungenerous banker-sapien types. Scientists are baffled by curious cave paintings that seem to depict a beacon or spire on the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I feel terribly sorry for the junkies around town, but they also scare the life out of me. I used to work on Tara St and it's like the set of the Living Dead down there. None of them ever came near me, but that's possibly because I spent my life running across the street to avoid them. It must be a desperate way to live though, and God help any other family member caught up in the situation.

Are they coming into town to buy heroin? I thought they were going to the methadone clinics. As someone else said earlier in the thread, if the guards/Dept of Justice made it a priority to stamp down on the amount of heroin coming into the country then they could do it. Would cost money, sure, but look at the cost, to the taxpayer and to society, in terms of treatment programs, broken families and wasted lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

But it's motivational!

The more you see them, the more you realise how little you want to end up like them and the more you will work your tush off to avoid it!

Bright side buddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Gary4279 wrote: »
    At anytime, a junkie can walk into one of the clinics and decide to get clean and be sent to a remote island for as long as it takes.

Can it be ringed with sharks with frikkin' lazor beams on their heads?

Oh god please say yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bell Butter

I feel terribly sorry for the junkies around town, but they also scare the life out of me. I used to work on Tara St and it's like the set of the Living Dead down there. None of them ever came near me, but that's possibly because I spent my life running across the street to avoid them. It must be a desperate way to live though, and God help any other family member caught up in the situation.

Are they coming into town to buy heroin? I thought they were going to the methadone clinics. As someone else said earlier in the thread, if the guards/Dept of Justice made it a priority to stamp down on the amount of heroin coming into the country then they could do it. Would cost money, sure, but look at the cost, to the taxpayer and to society, in terms of treatment programs, broken families and wasted lives.

I bet there wouldn't be as many in the city centre if they didn't have the free bus pass from the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I bet there wouldn't be as many in the city centre if they didn't have the free bus pass from the HSE.

Half of them don't have that. They just stumble onto the bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

What really gets up my goat is when I see them hassling tourists

gets up your goat? :confused:

Half of them don't have that. They just stumble onto the bus
    And nothing is said. Its the same on the luas. Far as I can see, its only the normal joe soaps plodding to work and forking out for every journey that are targetted. I was on the luas red line before and an inspector actually passed one by and didn't ask him for a ticket, but asked everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Odysseus wrote: »
    Sorry to Godwin the thread, but how would that sound if it referred to other social groups? I know what it reminds me of?

That's exactly the overly-PC attitude that's hampers any effort to fix the problem.

Abusing drugs isn't a right. Not wanting to be bothered by addicts is not racism or xenophobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

face1990 wrote: »
    That's exactly the overly-PC attitude that's hampers any effort to fix the problem. .

Theres nothing "overly-PC" about being against the idea of state enacted mass murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think in these threads, people should be obliged to say "heroin addict" instead of "junkie."

It might humanise these people slightly, and make posters realise how barbaric some of their some of their suggestions are.

"Sterilise all heroin addicts!!" doesn't really satisfy the old rage fantasies, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres nothing "overly-PC" about being against the idea of state enacted mass murder.

My point is that they aren't a seperate social group who deserve to be allowed continue what they're doing. I'm not endorsing mass murder or euthanasia, but I don't we should go out of our way to spare their feelings or dignity.

Heroin addicts are a drain on society. If they are forced to quit the drug (even if it means being deprived of their liberty for a while) they can eventually contribute to society, which will benefit them as individuals too.

I think in these threads, people should be obliged to say "heroin addict" instead of "junkie."

I'd agree with that. Junkie is a very derogatory term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My point is that they aren't a seperate social group who deserve to be allowed continue what they're doing. I'm not endorsing mass murder or euthanasia, but I don't we should go out of our way to spare their feelings or dignity..

.....then why did you take that reply entirely out of context? Because what the poster was replying to was somebody advocating a program of mass murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd agree with that. Junkie is a very derogatory term.

Yes, that is why we use it because we have low opinions of people who use and get addicted to drugs.

I personally don't go with the idea of mass murder etc just the dealers
    As for the users take them off the streets and into or on to one of the islands for a year where it will be next to impossible for them to get drugs and then back out and usefull members
    But the dealers of death and destruction in sorry bullet to the head make people afraid to deal as they have no fear of any justice as it stands now

It might humanise these people slightly, and make posters realise how barbaric some of their some of their suggestions are.

"Sterilise all heroin addicts!!" doesn't really satisfy the old rage fantasies, does it?

Junkie look up the word it mean a person with a drug addiction althou mostly used in connection with heroin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Junkie look up the word it mean a person with a drug addiction althou mostly used in connection with heroin

I know what it means. In fact, that's kind of my point. Both "junkie" and "heroin addict" mean the same thing, but "junkie" has far greater negative connotation, and is more dehumanising, in my opinion.

"Heroin addict" forces a person to remember that whatever their opinion of them, junkies are people who are addicted to heroin, and not sub-human monsters.

I agree, I would ban someone in psychology if they kept using the term, but this is A/H, but I like the mods to consider how language is use in threads like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Let me put it this way :
    I am from Wexford and Dub have always called me a culchie! They look down on native Wexfordians and have invaded North Wexford! Dubs and Liverpoolians have something in common: THE ACCENT! DUBS AND OUTSIDE THE PALE HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON : THEY ARE ON THE SAME ISLAND!
    Dubs think they are more Irish than the rest of the island because they are the capital but they are not more Irish!
    Americans come to Ireland thinking Dublin is the most Irish part and all they see is the sad displays Dublin has to offer while on some sad tour organised by American tour companies.
    If you want the real Ireland go to all 4 provinces! You can get a real taste then.. Dublin is not Ireland, it's just the administrative capital!
    lol you are deluded

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement