Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I go on to be a Physics/Chemistry teacher?

• 11-06-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey!

I'm planning to go into either CK408 (Physics and astrophysics) or CK406 (Chemical sciences) and in 2nd year I'd do Education in the Physical Sciences.

But; I'm just wondering. If that plan doesn't work out for me, for whatever reason.

Is there any other convenient ways to become a qualified teacher of science?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The most obvious choice is the course in UL that is specific to teaching science, I think the three main sciences along with Maths and Ag Science are covered. Otherwise look at the teaching council website and see what courses qualify you to teach the specific science subjects you are interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There is also a Science Education degree in NUIM and in DCU.

Otherwise you could do general science or another relevant degree (check with TC) and then do the Dip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

solerina wrote: »
    The most obvious choice is the course in UL that is specific to teaching science, I think the three main sciences along with Maths and Ag Science are covered. Otherwise look at the teaching council website and see what courses qualify you to teach the specific science subjects you are interested in.

I did that degree, there are two choices, Biological Science with Phys/Chem or Physics and Chemistry teaching

Physics and Chemistry teaching is exactly just that

Biological Sciences with Phys/Chem: You are qualified to teach Biology and Ag Science, and also either Physics or Chemistry (pick one at the end of first year). One of the few degree that qualifies you to teach three LC subjects as well as JC Science.

Maths is covered in first year of the degree but you are not qualified to teach it afterwards.

Advertisement