Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taste of Dublin 2012. Good value or not?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone planning on attending Taste of Dublin in Iveagh Gardens this weekend?

Admission is 23 euros in advance, or 28 euros on the day. And that is just to get in the door ! You still have to buy your florins to sample any of the food. The average dish costs five florins. One euros = one florin. So if you want to experience a handful of different "starter size" dishes from a few restaurants (to make your admission price worth it) you are looking at the guts of 50 quid, if not more.

I think that that these are total rip off prices in this day and age, considering that no matter how posh the restaurant is, odds are you'll be eating lukewarm food on a paper plate with a plastic fork.

I was at Bloom 2 weeks ago. Admission was just 16 euros. An Bord Bia had a cracking series of tents where Irish food producers got to showcase their goods. Some gave samples, some did not. Guess which ones had the biggest crowds? Guess which ones did a roaring trade in sales? Bitch about govt quangos all you want, but An Bord Bia gets top marks in my book for supporting this. I thought that that the event was great value for money.

Why does Taste have to be so expensive, when they do not have the huge overhead costs that Bloom did such as providing on site parking? Am not saying that the restaurant should be giving their food away for free, but considering that the city is giving them an event to showcase their wares, surely there could be some wiggle room there?

Your Bloom ticket was also good for the whole day. Taste of Dublin tickets covers just one of two attendance periods, 12 noon-4pm or 5.30pm-9.30pm. Who wants to pay nearly 30 quid to attend a festival when if you show up at 2pm (which is when I was planning on going) you get kicked out 2 hours later?

So I guess my question to ya'll is....is it worth going to, despite the expense? I live in town, so I am all for supporting the festivals and fairs that are held in this great city of ours. I go to a lot of them, both the free and the ticketed. I am just having a hard time getting motivated here considering the expense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sounds like you don't want to go already. I went last year in the rain and still enjoyed it, but I like the restaurants they showcase. The food is anything but lukewarm in my experience; you're talking about some of the top restaurants in the country, not a few producers handing out sausages. If you're into food and restaurants and eating out then it's worth the €50 you'll spend for tickets and forins.

I would point out that many stalls give out free samples of things too - last summer you could probably leave without spending a thing and not be starving at the end. I'm not saying you'd be stuffed to the gills, but there is a good bit of free stuff - it's only the restaurants you have to pay for.

The final point I'll make is that the prices aren't bad for each dish too; each dish is €5/ 5 Florins - you wouldn't get a dish in any of the restaurants exhibiting for that price IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Me, but only because I got a free ticket.
    you are looking at the guts of 50 quid, if not more.
    The way I look at it, and I've been every year since 2007, is that you end up paying what you would if you were going out for a meal in one of the exhibiting upmarket restaurants.
    I think that that these are total rip off prices in this day and age
    This gets said every single year on Boards. The fact that the event keeps happening means that there are enough people out there willing to pay enough to keep the event profitable, even in the depths of recession. For the first few years I was happy to pay for the whole shebang -- there used to be better deals on admission + florins. More recently I've decided it's not worth paying into. But with a free ticket and a few friends going too, I'm looking forward to a nice evening out.
    An Bord Bia gets top marks in my book for supporting this. I thought that that the event was great value for money.
    Completely agree. They have been doing some brilliant events over the last few years.
    Why does Taste have to be so expensive, when they do not have the huge overhead costs that Bloom did such as providing on site parking?
    Taste is a for-profit multinational business, Bloom isn't. That's all.
    Am not saying that the restaurant should be giving their food away for free, but considering that the city is giving them an event to showcase their wares, surely there could be some wiggle room there?
    From what I gather from talking to exhibitors, the restaurants are usually lucky to break even at these gigs.
    Who wants to pay nearly 30 quid to attend a festival when if you show up at 2pm (which is when I was planning on going) you get kicked out 2 hours later?
    Some of us are more kick-resistant than others, I guess ;)
    is it worth going to, despite the expense?
    From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you'll enjoy it.

I should say that I'm going as well! :D
    BeerNut wrote: »

The way I look at it, and I've been every year since 2007, is that you end up paying what you would if you were going out for a meal in one of the exhibiting upmarket restaurants.
    Agreed and as you said, going with a little group is quite fun.
    This gets said every single year on Boards. The fact that the event keeps happening means that there are enough people out there willing to pay enough to keep the event profitable, even in the depths of recession.
    It is also worth noting that for a significant chunk of people on all income bands that have retained their jobs, not in debt and mortgage problems; quite honestly there is no recession. In fact, I would say these people have more purchasing power than before.
    From what I gather from talking to exhibitors, the restaurants are usually lucky to break even at these gigs.
    Well, if you don't factor in the free advertising I suppose... I have gone to two restaurants now that I wasn't very interested in by just reading their website/menu and reviews by tasting them at ToD over the past 3 years. Both were excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

In a word, Yes, it is a bit of a rip-off.

But if you can get a free ticket, and looking for a day out, why not head along?

In my experience of this particular event, the food doesn't quite match up to that served in the restaurant, which is understanable due to the limited "kitchen" facilities. Which is unfortunate as it would be nice to sample all the food from the various restaurants, as they would normally present it.

If its value for money and good food in comfortable surroundings you are after, I'd say just book a table in a good restaurant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

You pay in and then have to buy a fancy currency in order to taste anything. You pay the equivelent of €7 or thereabouts for a small paper plate of curry or whatever is available. It is a complete rip off every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 funkyskunk

I went to the ToD expecting it to be a good opportunity for restaurants to advertise their food and encourage people to visit their restaurants. Instead, it was a complete money making event. I paid 7 quid for a matchbox size piece of beef. The ridiculous pricing of things really disappointed me however, the entertainment and atmosphere does make for an enjoyable day. Things like the beer and food sampling demonstrations were good fun.

funkyskunk wrote: »
    I went to the ToD expecting it to be a good opportunity for restaurants to advertise their food and encourage people to visit their restaurants. Instead, it was a complete money making event. I paid 7 quid for a matchbox size piece of beef. The ridiculous pricing of things really disappointed me however, the entertainment and atmosphere does make for an enjoyable day. Things like the beer and food sampling demonstrations were good fun.
    It's €5 usually for most dishes and when they are €7 (as I think I know the one you're talking about) you wouldn't get that in the actual restaurant for that price. Not aimed at you in any way, but people complaining about the price should count themselves lucky to get to taste the food they probably couldn't otherwise afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sounds like you don't want to go already. I went last year in the rain and still enjoyed it, but I like the restaurants they showcase. The food is anything but lukewarm in my experience; you're talking about some of the top restaurants in the country, not a few producers handing out sausages. If you're into food and restaurants and eating out then it's worth the €50 you'll spend for tickets and florins

I do want to go. I love going to events such as these. I love the buzz and atmosphere surrounding them. Have been to several similar events in the US and had a blast. I just don't remember having to pay as much to get in, before I got to put even a morsel of food in my mouth.

Last year I was at an event that several of the Taste of restaurants were participating in. I thought that overall the quality of the food was lacking. It was often lukewarm, and the meat and chicken in the dishes were tough. I got the impression that the food was cooked off site in bulk, trucked in as needed, and reheated.
    Not aimed at you in any way, but people complaining about the price should count themselves lucky to get to taste the food they probably couldn't otherwise afford.

I am lucky. I can afford to eat in these restaurants if I choose to. I just don't like feeling that I am being ripped off & not getting value for money whether I am eating in Insert Name of Chi Chi restaurant here
    > or McDonalds.

Several of you have mentioned getting freebie tickets. How would one go about getting their hands on one? If the weather is good, I am probably still going to go whether I get one or not. I just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks for all the feedback. :)

Several of you have mentioned getting freebie tickets. How would one go about getting their hands on one?
    Mine came from a friend who works for a Big Foreign Company. I guess they get an allocation to give out as corporate perks or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 funkyskunk

It's €5 usually for most dishes and when they are €7 (as I think I know the one you're talking about) you wouldn't get that in the actual restaurant for that price. Not aimed at you in any way, but people complaining about the price should count themselves lucky to get to taste the food they probably couldn't otherwise afford.

You might be right about it being €5 when I think back, but I remember how many trips I had to keep making to buy more bloody florines to fill me up as much as a meal would. I won't be going back this year anyway, but It definitely is worth trying. Got introduced to those various dried veggy boxerchips and crabbies ginger beer at it..:pac:....nom...nom.

• Advertisement

The food prices for this year are on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Brilliant day.

Dine in the Dark best thing I did in a long time.

Been there for 7th yr in a row now and always brilliant.

People complaining about prices should stick to eating from their local chipper.

I had a great time. The Irish beer offering was well down on previous years but made up for by getting to sample nine different Irish craft ciders.

My time was slightly ruined by the weather :( Not my favourite year but I will go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Admission is 23 euros in advance, or 28 euros on the day. And that is just to get in the door ! You still have to buy your florins to sample any of the food. The average dish costs five florins. One euros = one florin. So if you want to experience a handful of different "starter size" dishes from a few restaurants (to make your admission price worth it) you are looking at the guts of 50 quid, if not more.

I think that that these are total rip off prices in this day and age, considering that no matter how posh the restaurant is, odds are you'll be eating lukewarm food on a paper plate with a plastic fork.

I was at Bloom 2 weeks ago. Admission was just 16 euros. An Bord Bia had a cracking series of tents where Irish food producers got to showcase their goods. Some gave samples, some did not. Guess which ones had the biggest crowds? Guess which ones did a roaring trade in sales? Bitch about govt quangos all you want, but An Bord Bia gets top marks in my book for supporting this. I thought that that the event was great value for money.

Why does Taste have to be so expensive, when they do not have the huge overhead costs that Bloom did such as providing on site parking? Am not saying that the restaurant should be giving their food away for free, but considering that the city is giving them an event to showcase their wares, surely there could be some wiggle room there?

Your Bloom ticket was also good for the whole day. Taste of Dublin tickets covers just one of two attendance periods, 12 noon-4pm or 5.30pm-9.30pm. Who wants to pay nearly 30 quid to attend a festival when if you show up at 2pm (which is when I was planning on going) you get kicked out 2 hours later?

So I guess my question to ya'll is....is it worth going to, despite the expense? I live in town, so I am all for supporting the festivals and fairs that are held in this great city of ours. I go to a lot of them, both the free and the ticketed. I am just having a hard time getting motivated here considering the expense.

I went 2 years ago and wouldn't bother going again. The florin thing was the ultimate rip off and it didn't really live up to its name in that I didn't get to taste that much at all. There was a real shortage of samples. Also, maybe it's just a reflection on Irish interests but there was a lot more booze being sampled than anything else. It could be a lot better. I would even put up with the admission fee if there weren't the stupid currency thing once inside. I went to taste of Christmas last year and I found it quite good.. I felt like I got more for my money and there was a bit of atmosphere there and no currency nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mozattack wrote: »
    Brilliant day.

Dine in the Dark best thing I did in a long time.

Been there for 7th yr in a row now and always brilliant.

People complaining about prices should stick to eating from their local chipper.

I beg your pardon. I have no intention of sticking to my local chipper. I enjoy a nice meal out in a nice restaurant, or eating at an outdoor food/drink festival as much as the next person. I also dislike feeling that I am being ripped off as much as the next person.

I think that I am perfectly entitled to enquire off others if an event like this is good value for money, considering the high admission charge. If you read my posts, you will see that at a similar event where several Taste restaurants participated in, I was not impressed with the food on offer. Hence the reason for my post.

Most posters commented here that the event was only worth going to if they got a free ticket. I would have appreciated some solid information as to why others thought opposite. We can't all be uneducated, chipper loving Scrooges, can we?

If you are a 7 year veteran of the event, good for you. It would have been my first time attending. Perhaps your time would have been better spent coming on here when I first asked my question, and shared with us why precisely you that the event is worth the expenditure. Posting here when the event is over, and making snide remarks about people sticking with their chipper, doesn't really serve much of a purpose imo.

Thanks to all who responded in a timely and helpful manner. I wasn't able to go to Taste this year, due to unforseen work commitments. I'll certainly take your comments on board for next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I went for the first time this year and I thought it was generally very expensive for what you got. Expensive to get in and then you got tiny portions of food for €6 or €7 a portion.

I thought the idea was to allow restaurants a shop window to display their wares, but at those prices, I certainly won't be going again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I didn't find it particularly good this year, it was a lot smaller than in previous years from what I recall (I didn't make it last year, but think I've been to all the previous events). We seemed to get round very fast, and the food we had, though good, wasn't spectacular. The exhibitors don't really interest me, I just go for the restaurants, and there wasn't as many as the high end ones there this year. And everyone was doing prawns?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Shouldn't they be given out free food looking for business that's what I would do not charging people.

abff wrote: »
    I thought the idea was to allow restaurants a shop window to display their wares, but at those prices, I certainly won't be going again!
    Hootanany wrote: »
    Shouldn't they be given out free food looking for business that's what I would do not charging people.
    I think a lot of people are misunderstanding how the event works. It's not run by the restaurants, the restaurants don't set the prices, the restaurants have to pay Taste a lot to be there (rent, plus a proportion of the Florin take) and the restaurants generally don't make any money. Many of them are making a loss and hoping to get a bit of promotion out of it.

I'd say the only people walking away from Taste with any money are these guys.

• Advertisement

it was a lot smaller than in previous years from what I recall (I didn't make it last year, but think I've been to all the previous events).

I noticed that at first too and upon further thought I realised that it was actually the same size but just felt a lot smaller due to the noticeable lack of a massive Superquinn presence there this year. Interesting; perhaps Musgraves has no time for these events. Unfortunate!

Advertisement