Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active intruder alarm system

Options
  • 11-06-2012 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

Unfortunately my shed was broken into recently and a fair amount of items stolen, without wanting to give too much away I live in a rural location and all was well locked up - or so I thought. Turns out there's not much that can stop someone with portable cutting equipment (either a battery grinder or consaw was used). Needless to say I reported it to the local constabulary, who have yet to attend the scene and have contacted the house insurance to see just how much of my loss is covered (not very much it seems).

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice regarding the installation of an active alarm system. To be honest I haven't looked at many alarm systems before this but all appear to be either passive or monitored, ie they either make a whole heap of noise or they call someone who calls the guards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that back in the day both of these were sensible options but as (A) I'm living in a rural location, there's no-one to hear anything if a siren starts ringing (assuming we were out when they strike again) and (B) the guards have proved as much use as a chocolate teapot to date. I'd like a system that's a bit more proactive, but am concerned as to the liabilities which may accompany same.

After a good deal of thought I've settled on the main hardware, I've gone and got a smartphone (Iphone 4s) and have upgraded my broadband both in terms of speed and in order to get a fixed IP address. I've narrowed down to a Siemens 4320 panel which should allow external access and have selected a reasonable CCTV system (1tb storage, quad cam with 2 x night vision cameras and 2 x motorized dome cameras, which can be operated via smartphone).

So that should take care of the passive side of the system, ie in the event that the baddies return I'll get a txt message, can check the cameras remotely and can shout at them / trigger the alarm / call the guards as required.

Now to the crux of my post, how far is it reasonable to go in terms of active protection of ones property / person? I've an extensive working knowledge of control systems and industrial automation and would have no difficulty in designing and installing systems intended to encourage a third party to leave my stuff alone and go home, quickly.

Initial concepts have ranged from water jet repellants (water at pressures greater than 10 bar will repel easily), infra-sound, microwave and gas based deterrent systems. The simplest system would be the gas based approach, but after building a test unit which can puncture and disperse an aerosol can via SMS I've found out that CS / Pepper spray aren't exactly kosher. Changing to C02 is an option but there would be a slightly greater risk of asphyxiation (but then again could be reasonably passed off as a fire protection system). Projectile / pyrotechnic solutions would definitely be off the menu, I would doubt that it would be possible to justify their deployment.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of active systems and if there was any advice as to the level of response deemed reasonable, warning notices, case histories etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some spacer who wants to go round wiping out vermin, just want to keep what I've worked for secure and my family safe without resorting to firearms, moats, rottweilers etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As you know, you can't do anything that will physically harm someone. A smoke screen might be what you're after. It releases smoke that is really dense and the intruders are forced to exit the premises. Do a google search for it.

Jnealon, a poster here, has some experience with installing them so maybe drop him a PM for some more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I like the Co2 gas option . Providing that nothing to serious happens . U could Always switch to an awful can of air freshener or a can of fart gas

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Abeynormal

Morning all,

Thank for the replies and PM's. Got initial components of the system installed this week, Cameras are up and running and should have the fixed IP address issue resolved on Monday or we'll be leaving Vodafone and going back to Eircom (Can I mention supplier names here, just that the former have been particularly useless when asked to provide fixed addressing? if not sorry, please moderate and I will desist)

Has anyone got cameras running using any of the mobile broadband providers instead of a fixed line system? Any advice / tips would be great, the best broadband we can get via fixed line is 2Mb.

In terms of active system components almost all of the suggestions received, although fantastic could most likely leave me open to prosecution by the criminals affected so I have settled for a C02 fire protection system, which by design will make it impossible to remain in the protected space without full breathing apparatus once the system is activated. I've also built and tested a marker dye system which is designed to discharge if the new tool storage press is forced open, its primitive and consists of four cans of (xylene free) blue spray line and is a failsafe rupture device (activated via sequenced SMS) but should have the desired effect.

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible to purchase security company dye packs / delivery units for private use in Ireland, I rang two companies this week but neither offered this service or could give any supplier / trade contact information? I’d prefer to use a commercially available dye unit just in case the homemade one was in some way politically incorrect etc.

So now if we get a visit the silent alarm will go off (silent during the day but has an initial small siren and strobe at night) and txt to four mobile numbers, each number can dial in and view live camera footage and can manipulate two of the cameras in real time. In the event that there is an unwelcome guest the alarm can be escalated to a 120db siren via SMS and receipt of three SMS messages from any handset in a three minute period will activate the dye pack, and a fourth will trigger the C02 discharge.

Hope we never have to use any of it!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Eircom are very good at charging a premium for fixed IP address for business.
    Sounds like a very interesting system.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I was with vodefone before and had no problem getting a fixed IP. Can't remember what the charge was but it was very small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Simply_Jay

Abeynormal wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not some spacer who wants to go round wiping out vermin, just want to keep what I've worked for secure and my family safe without resorting to firearms, moats, rottweilers etc.

Gee, I wouldn't ever think it's something bad. IMO it's a common desire especially when you're in the rural and have no neighbors in god knows how many miles around.

As I look into the issue I come to conclusion that it might be best to invest in IP based systems instead of traditional analog. You may find them costly but you benefit from them in the long run. A good way out is to deploy system that has a PC as its core and Ip cameras connected. Honestly, PC-special software-IP cameras-smartphone to monitor system offers much more intelligent possibilities (based on what I've seen so far). This way you don't have to depend on IP cameras' built-in software which is usually of quite bad quality, especially when you don't have enough funds for $250 kit or so, when the camera itself is pretty good.

have you chosen any cams yet? It might be a good idea to discuss them here and see if they fit your goals (low-light, night vision, IR, and whatnot). Depending on cams you may select proper software. I know of several that fit most of goals& circumstances and are free or very affordable like Xeoma (an easy one, free mode possible) or ZoneMinder (too complicated IMO to start with) or whatever. Check these or do a search.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Vodafone at home charge €15 once off setup for a fixed ip.

Edit: Eircom charge €50 once off and only to a business account. Getting one on a residential account is very difficult.

Advertisement