Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapering for Tri?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 9:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm doing my first olympic Tri next weekend. I've only ever done sprints before and a few half marathons.

When I was doing half marathons I would always take it easy the week before.

I'm guessing this isn't as much the case with Tris as there are 3 different disciplines to mix up your training. Or is it.

I have no work on Weds so would hope to do a 40km cycle in morning and 15km run in evening, with shorter runs and swim sessions on Thurs and Friday.

Does this sound wise?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Unless you are taking it very seriously and have been putting in a lot of hard training then doing nothing on a Thursday, a light workout to get the blood flowing on a Friday, racing on a Saturday is typically what is done for an Olympic.

Tapering is required if you have been training like a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

What day are you racing?

There's no way I'd be doing a 40k bike and particularly a 15k run on the Wednesday before a weekend race, unless I didn't care much about the result. No long training you do at this stage will have any benefit for the race, but it could definitely have a negative effect.

Keep it short and snappy for the few days before the race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

MrCreosote wrote: »
    What day are you racing?

There's no way I'd be doing a 40k bike and particularly a 15k run on the Wednesday before a weekend race, unless I didn't care much about the result. No long training you do at this stage will have any benefit for the race, but it could definitely have a negative effect.

Keep it short and snappy for the few days before the race.

Race is on Sunday. Don't care much about the result, hopefully sub 2hr 45mins.

Advertisement