Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick Weights

• 11-06-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Would the weight of a hockey stick effect the speed at which the ball can be pushed at? I'm looking at a super lightweight Osaka stick for drags, would this give me more power from a flick than say the medium weight Osaka stick?

Would the lighter the stick mean that the stick can handle less impacts from hits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

Would the weight of a hockey stick effect the speed at which the ball can be pushed at? I'm looking at a super lightweight Osaka stick for drags, would this give me more power from a flick than say the medium weight Osaka stick?

Would the lighter the stick mean that the stick can handle less impacts from hits?

This is really personal preference. If the stick is light I tend to have better stickwork but have difficulty passing the ball with pace and it's easily brushed aside when tackling. Too heavy and the skills are more difficult to execute but the ball moves much quicker when hitting/pushing.

I don't think it's a good idea to go for extremes unless it really suits your play for instance a light stick might be good if you tend to get the ball under pressure in the circle, have the skills to evade players and place your shots on goal rather than hitting them. I also wouldn't get a stick purely for drag flicks but instead have a more general purpose stick and try to work around it. I'd also say that getting stronger (pull ups for shoulders, hollow rocks/planks for core. etc.) might help if you are favouring the light weight stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Thanks for the reply, I was kinda thinking the same, no point buying a stick purely for drags when I would be, at best, doing one or two per game.

Advertisement