Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v England Match Thread

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

kryogen wrote: »
    Those gaps still got exploited at times though and it took last ditch defending and some good saves to keep the scores level

Of course I would have liked to see England attack because I thought it was the best chance I had for France to beat them :) It would have suited me! England is a secondary concern.

The defending on the edge of their own box with a blanket defense was painful to watch and must have been very tiring mentally and physically for England so yes, an attempt to get at the full backs and exploit the weak areas there and in the centre of defense would have been better for England I think.

I don't think they needed to be that negative, when they were showing some ambition they were matching France and could have caused them problems, giving France the initiative and chasing around after the ball for the majority of the 90 minutes was poor i thought, they are actually better then that.

At the end of the day, they have played the strongest team in the group now and have avoided defeat so they will be happy, a point is a good result. Could have been better but it obviously could have been worse

You are possibly right, in fact you probably are. Still, England came away from a game against a very good side with a share of the spoils. Not bad going for a team who has performed woefully for a decade on the international stage. A point sets England up for the rest of the group stages, and hopefully offers a motive to improve and become more attacking.

I hope now for a high intensity draw between Sweden and Ukraine with a couple of hamstrings going and a couple of red cards!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jordan Henderson when he came on looked like a guy that won a competition to play with the England team.He was like a dog chasing a ball which wouldn't know what to do with it when he got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

zerks wrote: »
    Jordan Henderson when he came on looked like a guy that won a competition to play with the England team.He was like a dog chasing a ball which wouldn't know what to do with it when he got it.

Some people would say that he might aswell of won it by sending in 10 cornflakes vouchers for a free spot in the squad, he certainly didn't do anything during the season to deserve his place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

France will be very disappointed they couldn't finish England off. It seems to be the year when negative football and hit a hope counter attacks trumps possession and passing.

To see England trying to run down the clock from the 80th minute whilst drawing with France is an indication of how the standard of the English national team has declined. That's something you'd expect a small team like Ireland to do, but one of the "biggest nations" in world football should be offering more than underdog tactics.

Despite what the English media are trying to say now, England are and never will be underdogs. They have the population, facilities, and league to produce the best team in the world. They only have themselves to blame for their failure. Their youth coaches and their managers are all substandard.

Yet another example of a team playing poorly but still getting a result. Good for England, but bad for football in general....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

@ Bwatson, you can have your high intensity game with red cards as long as Sweden win ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Injurytime summed up that game. As Walcott came on England had a throw in near the halfway line and it went out for a goalkick with no-one touching it. Thrown out of play from 40 yards.

Then France spend the rest of injury time moving four yards forward in the centre-circle before a tame shot from a mile away ends it.

Wonder how Zlatan and Elmander upfront instead of Nasri will make things different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dfx- wrote: »
    Injurytime summed up that game. As Walcott came on England had a throw in near the halfway line and it went out for a goalkick with no-one touching it. Thrown out of play from 40 yards.

Then France spend the rest of injury time moving four yards forward in the centre-circle before a tame shot from a mile away ends it.

Wonder how Zlatan and Elmander upfront instead of Nasri will make things different.

The cooler evening air should help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

greendom wrote: »
    The cooler evening air should help

25 degrees there, very humid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

kryogen wrote: »
    25 degrees there, very humid

A lot hotter a couple of hours ago, I'd wager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

zerks wrote: »

He did ok, played some nice easy passes, kept it simple. He made a great tackle which he was penalized for which was never a free. Are you sure your not having a go at him because he is a liverpool player.

• Advertisement

A final point, fair play to Jermain Defoe. Lost his dad less than a week ago yet was out there today, and even in his short appearance appeared very focused and determined.

As a Tottenham fan I'd love for him to start against Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

bwatson wrote: »
    A final point, fair play to Jermain Defoe. Lost his dad less than a week ago yet was out there today, and even in his short appearance appeared very focused and determined.

As a Tottenham fan I'd love for him to start against Sweden.

In place of who? Surely not Wellbeck

dooferoaks wrote: »
    In place of who? Surely not Wellbeck

Young.

It's all well and good playing a lone striker if you are actually going to play a system that allows others to support him. Welbeck put in loads of effort today but all too often found himself isolated and lacking in options if he actually managed to get control of the ball.

The Swedish defence has looked slightly wobbly tonight (as I say that Sheva nods one in) and I think that England really need to get at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

bwatson wrote: »
    Young.

It's all well and good playing a lone striker if you are actually going to play a system that allows others to support him. Welbeck put in loads of effort today but all too often found himself isolated and lacking in options if he actually managed to get control of the ball.

The Swedish defence has looked slightly wobbly tonight (as I say that Sheva nods one in) and I think that England really need to get at them.

Yeah, maybe. Not a fan of Young to be honest but not sure Roy is going to change a (semi) successful formula.

No red cards or pulled hamstrings yet in the Ukraine - Sweden game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Voronin and Shevchenko don't look too dangerous.

You were saying? ;) Told ya they'd win :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

mike65 wrote: »
    Who was commentating for RTE - Ger Canning was it? Isn't he a Bog Ball man?

Could you not just call it it's proper name? It's GAA.

There's such an air of arrogance about your posts sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

That's harsh Kraggy. Only for about 73,000 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here's another one for you sweetie

Vic_Bob_Handbags_Triple_Combo-s383x269-56957-410.jpg

Advertisement