Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre- NCT service

Options
  • 11-06-2012 9:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭

Where's the cheapest place for a pre-NCT car service in Mullingar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

Mick Ledwith Ballynacarigy is very sound, usually only charges for work needed, he s cheap as well and does a good job.

Telephone:
    Fax:
    Mobile:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

yekahS wrote: »
    Where's the cheapest place for a pre-NCT car service in Mullingar?

I get my car serviced every year at a local, independent garage: Bernie (Bernard) Newman - Lynn Cross. (Take the old Tullamore road out of Mullingar towards Bloomfield Hotel.) Does a good job at a good price. You could always ring ahead for a price?

044-9342959
    044-9344566
    086-2705366

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The consensus on the Motors thread is that pre-NCT tests are a waste of money, they are a licence to print money for garages.

Most of the stuff you can do yourself - check tyres, lights, fluid levels etc. and then submit it for the test. If you fail, you have a list of items that need seeing to, go to a garage and get them fixed, that way you will only pay for what needs fixing, if anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

coylemj wrote: »
    The consensus on the Motors thread is that pre-NCT tests are a waste of money, they are a licence to print money for garages.

Most of the stuff you can do yourself - check tyres, lights, fluid levels etc. and then submit it for the test. If you fail, you have a list of items that need seeing to, go to a garage and get them fixed, that way you will only pay for what needs fixing, if anything.

Exactly what I wanted to say when I saw the thread title.
    Complete and utter waste of money!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah what I do is fix everything I know will fail, like bulbs and similar (I always fix these things immediately anyway).
    Then I take it for a free NCT check at AvPi.
    If they find something I missed I might fix it myself or just wait for the NCT to find it too.
    Then NCT it.

My policy is, don't spend money on anything until after the NCT.
    If you fix tons of things and it fails on emissions you might write it off anyway and all those fixes were for nothing.

Advertisement