Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group D (Eng & Fra)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heart wants England. Wallet wants no more than a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

must find Gifs now of carroll hitting ref lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

gavredking wrote: »
    monkey9 wrote: »
    I think Sweden and England has a draw written all over it!! Somebody has spraypainted in giant bright red lettering DRAW all over that fixture!!

Think thats why its hard to call, it has draw written all over it and most people and pundits will more then likely agree.

So I'm expecting a 3-2 thriller. :pac:

Living in hope I guess, want to see a good game before I had out.

WAAHEY!!

Still time left though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

gavredking wrote: »
    WAAHEY!!

Still time left though.

Haha!!! We jinxed it well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

One of the main questions for me after that game is who to drop for the next game to accommodate Rooney? Both Welbeck and Carroll had great games. Each brought their own style to the game and scored fantastic goals.

I reckon Carroll will probably start up front in the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Only seeing how bad Johnsen was for the first goal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

So France have qualified! If Spain finish 2nd in group C, it'll be intersting to see if France throw their game against Sweeden to avoid Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Rekop dog wrote: »
    So France have qualified! If Spain finish 2nd in group C, it'll be intersting to see if France throw their game against Sweeden to avoid Spain.

France haven't qualified. If Ukraine beat England by 1 and France lose by 2 they are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Benimar wrote: »
    Rekop dog wrote: »

France haven't qualified. If Ukraine beat England by 1 and France lose by 2 they are out.

No if it's a 3 way tie on points it goes to head to head between those tied so England would be eliminated there as they only have 1 point against France and Ukraine. No way France can be eliminated.

Edit: don't mind me,for some reason I had Ukraine currently on 1 point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If Ukraine beat England and France lose Ukraine'd top the group.

France vs England. Tie on head-to-head, goes to overall GD (I think?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

G.K. wrote: »
    France vs England. Tie on head-to-head, goes to overall GD (I think?)

Correct. Then goals scored after that if still level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

One of the main questions for me after that game is who to drop for the next game to accommodate Rooney? Both Welbeck and Carroll had great games. Each brought their own style to the game and scored fantastic goals.

I reckon Carroll will probably start up front in the next one.

Agreed - Carroll and Rooney to start - I expect Wellbeck and/ or Walcott to figure in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I don't give a shít who wins it now. I'm going on holiday.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

According to the BBC, that was the first time England ever turned around a deficit in the second half of normal time to go on to win the match in a major tournament.

It's only the second time ever in a major tournament they've turned around a deficit of any sort, the other being against Croatia in Euro 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They're like Liverpool, have to open the scoring!

Shevchenko is a doubt to play on Tuesday according to the Ukraine FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

monkey9 wrote: »
    According to the BBC, that was the first time England ever turned around a deficit in the second half of normal time to go on to win the match in a major tournament.

It's only the second time ever in a major tournament they've turned around a deficit of any sort, the other being against Croatia in Euro 2004.

That's a good stat. The next closest thing to those two would probably be their 1990 QF with Cameroon where they were losing with 7mins to go but then got 2-2 at FT (not a regular time win) and then 3-2 aet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Walcott exited training today with a hamstring injury. Extent of the injury isn't known at the moment.

It's bad news if it's serious. He was great off the bench the last day. Could be a recurrence of the injury he had before the end of the season.

He pulled up during the Sweden game didn't he?

Ho hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Walcott exited training today with a hamstring injury. Extent of the injury isn't known at the moment.

It's bad news if it's serious. He was great off the bench the last day. Could be a recurrence of the injury he had before the end of the season.
    just a precaution, being reported as not to serious.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is there anyone considering the possibility of Rooney starting the game on the bench?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

kryogen wrote: »
    Is there anyone considering the possibility of Rooney starting the game on the bench?
    He might, but he shouldn't.

Martinez said that the team that started against Sweden deserve to start against Ukraine, which may be so. But in a game where you need a result, you don't leave your best player on the bench. Also Viera made the valid point that if England are to get into the QF's then Rooney needs to get the game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kryogen wrote: »

Considering what Woy said, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Walcott is supposed to be ok for tomorrow nite. Rooneys lack of match fitness could be a problem for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He might, but he shouldn't.

Martinez said that the team that started against Sweden deserve to start against Ukraine, which may be so. But in a game where you need a result, you don't leave your best player on the bench. Also Viera made the valid point that if England are to get into the QF's then Rooney needs to get the game time.

Agreed, was just wondering about match sharpness is all. Carroll and Welbeck both did well and there is surely a case for using Rooney as a sub, personally as long as he looks ok in training he plays for me too.

Team|Played|W|D|L|GF|GA|GD|Pts
    England|2|0|1|0|4|3|1|4|
    France|2|1|1|0|3|1|2|4|
    Ukraine|2|1|0|1|2|3|-1|3|
    Sweden|2|0|0|2|3|5|-2|0|

Last 2 games of the group,

England v Ukraine

Both teams will be going for this, Ukraine will need to beat England to qualify while England will be hoping to win and top the group and avoid playing Spain in the QF as if they finsih 2nd that will be the outcome.

France v Sweden

France, like England will be hoping to top the group and play a Sweden side who seen a 2-1 lead against England evaporate and crash out of the tournament. Ibrahimovic is already planning his summer holiday so Sweden have little but pride to play for.

1st in this group will play Italy in the QF while 2nd will play Spain, ever the incentive to top the group and avoid the reigning champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the amount QF talk on british TV is unreal..talk about counting your chickens before they hatch

fryup wrote: »
    the amount QF talk on british TV is unreal..talk about counting your chickens before they hatch

I for one hope they get through and they get Spain, because I've money on France and want them to get the slightly easier game against Italy. :p

Hmm lets see now, are England playing for a place in the Q/Fs? Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mike65 wrote: »
    Hmm lets see now, are England playing for a place in the Q/Fs? Yes!

i mean they're talking as if they're in the QFs already..completely dimissing the ukraine

Milner confirmed to start so Walcott to win it late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think that's the right call, Ukraine's big defence will not look forward to seeing him come on.

I wonder if the same could be said for Welbeck. He's more effective as a sub than Carroll, unless you are planning on lumping it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Ukraine looks really jaded on day 2 (like they'd given everything to beat Sweden).
    Either that or to me they seemed like they just didn't respond to the occasion and crowd at Donetsk in the way they did in front of their fans at Kiev. If so then it doesn't look good for their chances tonight as they're playing at that venue again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

England 1 -0 Ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

i mean they're talking as if they're in the QFs already..completely dimissing the ukraine

Jesus, switch off the English stations if they're annoying you that much.

I'm not counting my chickens. No English person I've spoken to today is counting their chickens. There seems to be a sense of quiet optimism back home from what I can tell, and people are pleased with what we've seen in the first two games but if we go out tonight I doubt it'll be a shock.

That said - COME ON ENGLAND!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Rooney to see red plz.

Not sure what happened Ukraine vs France (well, apart from coming up against a much better side). But they seemed so unenthusiastic about the whole occasion, unlike their opening game. Maybe it was the terrible weather that had an effect on their fans/themselves. That might be pushing it a bit though!

Still, going for Ukraine to win it. That's not the Ukraine. Just Ukraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Sky sources - England team v Ukraine: Hart; Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole; Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Young; Rooney, Welbeck.” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Carroll should start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »
    Milner confirmed to start so Walcott to win it late!

Just what is Milner supposed to offer ? He's been one of the worst players in the whole tournament so far. Defensive capabilities - pah !

What was that Mike65 had up here a few minutes ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Post 74,066 wasn't quite up to the standard of the rest of them it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

hefferboi wrote: »
    Carroll should start.
    Ahead of Welbeck? Don't make me laugh son

Correct starting XI in my book.

Correct starting XI in my book.

Maybe Walcott for Milner but I wouldn't change anything else .

Certainly the one area where there was any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Maybe Walcott for Milner but I wouldn't change anything else .

IMO Walcott is better suited to impact sub role, using his pace against tiring defenders.

Certainly the one area where there was any doubt.

What about Young ? Virtually all he's had to offer so far is the odd dive.

What was that Mike65 had up here a few minutes ago :)

This :o :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

greendom wrote: »
    What about Young ? Virtually all he's had to offer so far is the odd dive.
    The alternative is Downing though....

Schevchenko doesn't start tonight. Big boost for England.

• Advertisement
Advertisement