Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone '12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Registration closes at half one for a race that won't start (for some) until 5 or 6! What the hell?!! Why can't they leave registration open a lil later for the Sprinters.... say, 3?

Is there anybody from TriAthlone on boards?

Because of the space required, registration is in transition and so obviously cannot run parallel to race start.

Many more reasons I'm sure being a big race with a large entry field.
    The course makes up for it! :)

Because you would then have to rack your bike in transition, getting in the way of athletes competing in the national championship race. This is what happens in the larger races at the likes of Dublin, Athy and Athlone. Get in early then go get something to eat and enjoy the atmosphere.

Did a e-mail search for this barcode from Triathlone. Eventually found it, and was just about to print when I realised it was the barcode for 2010 :o Mustn't have sent them yet

It's not that - I got 2 emails when registering.
    First just a receipt.
    Second with username and password for the reg site.
    Log on to that and there's a download receipt on bottom right - presume this has barcode on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Registration closes at half one for a race that won't start (for some) until 5 or 6! What the hell?!! Why can't they leave registration open a lil later for the Sprinters.... say, 3?

Is there anybody from TriAthlone on boards?

I'd say thinking about it, from a security point of view there's no access to transition without numbers on bike, helmet, race belt etc and transition has to be closed and cleared before the 1st wave off at 3pm. Thats probably why the early close.

If it was open til 3 you couldnt get your gear into transiton as you'd have racers coming through. It'll be tight enough with a lot of the later olympic waves and early sprint waves coming together on the bike and run. Not looking forward to that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Because you would then have to rack your bike in transition, getting in the way of athletes competing in the national championship race. This is what happens in the larger races at the likes of Dublin, Athy and Athlone. Get in early then go get something to eat and enjoy the atmosphere.

Did a e-mail search for this barcode from Triathlone. Eventually found it, and was just about to print when I realised it was the barcode for 2010 :o Mustn't have sent them yet
    Fazz wrote: »
    Because of the space required, registration is in transition and so obviously cannot run parallel to race start.

Many more reasons I'm sure being a big race with a large entry field.
    The course makes up for it! :)

Athy had a Registration on Friday and two on saturday - one in the morning for the early race and one which closed at 3 for a race that started at 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

First just a receipt.
    Log on to that and there's a download receipt on bottom right - presume this has barcode on it....

Nope. Just a receipt.
    From the TriAthlone website:
    Wave start times have been published. You will shortly receive your barcode which need to be printed out and brought with you on Race Day to register. This email will include your wave allocation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Athy had a Registration on Friday and two on saturday - one in the morning for the early race and one which closed at 3 for a race that started at 5!

But Athy closed down the whole town for the entire weekend so had the time to do that. Athlone townsfolk have kicked up massive fuss about the town being closed down for the entire day so they just can't do that anymore. None of the Athy route actually affects the town other than the square where transition is, other than extra traffic. The run in Athlone is through the middle of the town. Blocking off one of only two bridges across the river. Its a bit different. But in saying that, there was about 2.5 hours between transition closing and the last wave in Athy. Still a massive wait.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

In Athy the registration was seperate to transition. In Athlone registration is in transition.

First just a receipt.

Nope, that just throws up all the text from the email receipt. No barcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

In Athy the registration was seperate to transition. In Athlone registration is in transition.

Why would they do that? Massive wait to Sprint/Try due to this restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

as far as i know, you can register on the friday evening as well

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Just noticed this on the web site

"Wet-suits are not compulsory but are advised. Please check Triathlon Ireland guidelines. You can wear either a short or
    long wet-suit if you want"

I thought that you had to wear a wetsuit for races in Ireland, something to do with the water temperature?

• Advertisement

They've changed olympic swim, now upstream first then downstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Looking forward to going all out in a 20k TT as part of a relay team. Then it's officially the start of two weeks holidays for myself and herself :)

Looking forward to going all out in a 20k TT as part of a relay team. Then it's officially the start of two weeks holidays for myself and herself :)

Give us a tow??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Give us a tow??

Im afraid you will be long gone....last wave of the sprint we are.

For those not racing, There's a free triathlone app that has been updated.

It now suggests there will be live timing results as athletes pass finish line.

Also you can search an athlete to see what the last timing mat passed was so you get an idea where they are - handy for spectators if it works.
    I presume it's not that advanced to give provisional placings in each split just yet.

Be interested to know if this works, and also upon passing finish line to see what the results are!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

subscriber wrote: »
    Athlone is a very fast course, Swim is in the shannon obviously which means no mouthful's of sea water, :D Last year the water was really calm as well so no fighting against currents or waves. The bike route is nearly all completely flat down the dual carriage way, lovely smooth rolling surface as well, should make for really fast bike splits. The run is organised as a 2.5km loop in the town it's self which means 2 loops for sprint distance, and 4 for the Olympic. It's great that the run is in the town because it's constant support from onlookers every step of the run course. There is a drag of a hill on the run that goes up the back of the town which goes on for about 800 meters but rest of the course is flat. The only downfall is the length of the run into T1, it must be about 600 meters which doesn't sound like much but you know yourself when your coming out of the water winded after a tough swim it can seem a bit far away. More time to get the wetsuit off I supppose. ;)

There was over 2000 athletes done this last year. I was blown away by the organisation of the event. It was spectacular. Had never done an event of this size before and it made for a great day out. If I remember correctly, entry fee was fairly reasonable as well.

Olympic distance for me. Sub 2:35 is the aim. Fingers crossed.

€54 for a sprint:eek::eek::eek:

Started feeling ropey yesterday and started banging in the uniflu. Worse today. My preperations never go to plan. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 npmurph

Hey is anyone having trouble getting onto the tri athlone website. I just get redirected every times to some website marketing site. Maybe a virus?

Started feeling ropey yesterday and started banging in the uniflu. Worse today. My preperations never go to plan. :mad:

Someone's got race nerves/sickness :);)

Seems a common theme amongst some by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Tweet out saying they're having issues and working on it.

• Advertisement

mrbungle wrote: »
    Tweet out saying they're having issues and working on it.

They're fixing my cold? That's a mighty fine service they're offering. :D

anyone gotten the barcode yet? Im presuming waves wont be released till registration is closed

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

They're fixing my cold? That's a mighty fine service they're offering. :D

Ag, the website !

re: your cold, your goosed !

Daz1214 wrote: »
    anyone gotten the barcode yet? Im presuming waves wont be released till registration is closed

Barcode just received but I'm none the wiser now....

Doesn't clarify wave, just my racing number.
    Doesn't look like first number is wave either so I dunno...

https://secure.onreg.com/onreg2/startlist/index.php?id=1482

You'll get your wave number here.

First wave for me, third for Fazz. How long before he overtakes me? At some point on the bike seen as my swim will be 10 minutes + slower than his. :(

I'm pretty happy with that.

Same wave as:
    Bryan McCrystal
    Mark Nolan
    Joe Lynch
    Noelie Kavanagh
    Dave Barry

to name just a few...

With Stephen Early and Bjorn Ludick 12 mins ahead to compare progress at turn around point...
    And Trevor Woods & Paul Carroll playing chase :D

STACKED. AWESOME.

I'm off for a run...!

3rd sprint wave for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

For those not racing, There's a free triathlone app that has been updated.

It now suggests there will be live timing results as athletes pass finish line.

Also you can search an athlete to see what the last timing mat passed was so you get an idea where they are - handy for spectators if it works.
    I presume it's not that advanced to give provisional placings in each split just yet.

Be interested to know if this works, and also upon passing finish line to see what the results are!

I'm the developer behind the triAthlone App.
    From the app you can search for any athlete by name or race number. Once you find the athlete you're looking for, press the result and you'll be brought to the "Athlete Timing" screen.
    The "Athlete Timing" screen lists the race, split and clock time for each timing point. It will also show the athlete ranking in his/her category. You can also email, SMS or Tweet the timings.
    The "Standings" screen lists the top 10 athletes for each distance. They are displayed in cards allowing you to swipe between the distances. The heading of each card has a title (the distance) and 3 buttons allowing you to filter between men, women and overall. When the first athlete crosses the first timing point it will be shown on the card. The cards don't automatically update, so you'll have to manually refresh by selecting one of the other buttons on the top right (overall, men or women).
    The "Map" screen shows the swim, bike and run course. From this screen you can also search for an athlete. The search will drop a pin on the map showing you their approximate location. The location is based on the last timing point they crossed.
    good luck and enjoy the day.

Damn it,

Bryan Keane (again spelt Brian :rolleyes:)
    Con Doherty
    David Richardson
    Stephen Rooney

I'll probably not win now.... :mad:

Daz1214 wrote: »
    3rd sprint wave for me

See you there :D

• Advertisement

see you there mate ;)

theres 5 or 6 of us from the Naas club in that wave so should be some good competition between us :)

Advertisement