Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone '12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Daz1214 wrote: »
    see you there mate ;)

theres 5 or 6 of us from the Naas club in that wave so should be some good competition between us :)

Nice. Always good to have a few targets in a wave race this this.

Three others from my club in the wave, but none of them will be close to me.

There's one guy who I'd like to be close to in the wave, but I'll probably be a bit off. He had almost 3min on me in Athy sprint, but I had raced the previous day. Also, there's another guy from Midland who will be well up and he used to beat me last year, but I reckon I should have him. As for that Keane fella, I'll probably not catch him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

yeah, i think Keano might be a bit ahead of me alright

theres one lad in our club who should be in the 1.05-1.10 bracket but the rest of us should be close to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Damn it,

Bryan Keane (again spelt Brian :rolleyes:)
    Con Doherty
    David Richardson
    Stephen Rooney

I'll probably not win now.... :mad:

3rd sprint wave for me

See you there :D

I don't think that's the elite Bryan, seems there is another namesake that did Athy I think I saw.

Not to say he won't turn up though, or Russell White etc.
    You think they'd opt for Olympic if racing Athlone. - none have names down just yet.

Oh, and Bill McCormack is in the sprint also.

Fazz wrote: »
    I don't think that's the elite Bryan, seems there is another namesake that did Athy I think I saw.

Not to say he won't turn up though, or Russell White etc.
    You think they'd opt for Olympic if racing Athlone. - none have names down just yet.

Oh, and Bill McCormack is in the sprint also.

Missed Bills name in the list. Damn it. I'll be lucky to be top ten at this rate! So much for the easier option!

And I can guarantee that Russell wont be racing Athlone. My coach has gone to this with him http://www.triathlon.org/events/event/2012_yilan_county_fisu_world_university_triathlon_championships/
    and I know he's picking up an Asian cup race in Japan the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NinjaStudent

I'm the developer behind the triAthlone App.
    From the app you can search for any athlete by name or race number. Once you find the athlete you're looking for, press the result and you'll be brought to the "Athlete Timing" screen.
    The "Athlete Timing" screen lists the race, split and clock time for each timing point. It will also show the athlete ranking in his/her category. You can also email, SMS or Tweet the timings.
    The "Standings" screen lists the top 10 athletes for each distance. They are displayed in cards allowing you to swipe between the distances. The heading of each card has a title (the distance) and 3 buttons allowing you to filter between men, women and overall. When the first athlete crosses the first timing point it will be shown on the card. The cards don't automatically update, so you'll have to manually refresh by selecting one of the other buttons on the top right (overall, men or women).
    The "Map" screen shows the swim, bike and run course. From this screen you can also search for an athlete. The search will drop a pin on the map showing you their approximate location. The location is based on the last timing point they crossed.
    good luck and enjoy the day.

Quick question HeadBangersBall,
    Will the information feeding into the app be also available via website? for those of us with android phones.

• Advertisement

i wonder what the flow in the shannon is like after all that rain??

i wonder what the flow in the shannon is like after all that rain??

I was thinking the same. Thunder and lighting down in the midlands this afternoon, the auld fella got washed out on his bike today. Should make for some favourable swim times.

i reckon at this stage it might just be possible to lie on ur back and still get a sub 10 minute time :)

i reckon at this stage it might just be possible to lie on ur back and still get a sub 10 minute time :)

Sub 10min swim, run slightly shorter than last year, might get close to the hour at this rate!!!

last years race in athlone was my first ever sprint and it took me 1.35...this year id be lookin for at least a 1.15/20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

Quick question HeadBangersBall,
    Will the information feeding into the app be also available via website? for those of us with android phones.

Hi NinjaStudent,
    I don't know, sorry. If I find out, I'll post it here.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Also, there's another guy from Midland who will be well up and he used to beat me last year, but I reckon I should have him.

Was curious about this. Looked it up and the 3 midlanders are all fairly new to the sport afaik. Although one was well up in athy sprint.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Was curious about this. Looked it up and the 3 midlanders are all fairly new to the sport afaik. Although one was well up in athy sprint.

Just looked again, he's in wave 4.

Used car salesman!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Enjoy this one all,

With all the rain I'm thinking it will take in the region of 20-30 strokes to complete the sprint distance swim :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do race websites always die like this in the days coming up to races? :rolleyes:

Since I can't double check reg times etc recommended time to leave Dublin at tomorrow? Anytime I've gone to Athlone I've cycled there :pac:

Do race websites always die like this in the days coming up to races? :rolleyes:

Since I can't double check reg times etc recommended time to leave Dublin at tomorrow? Anytime I've gone to Athlone I've cycled there :pac:

IIRC transition will be closed at 1:30 for briefing at 2, KO @3. You'll do Athlone in less than 90min (although, are you still banned from motorways?), but parking up and getting through the town aint as easy, and registration is likely to be very busy. I'd be aiming to be parked by 12:30, but then I'm not starting until nearly 5.

Talks of Olympic Swim changed due to current.

There's a post up on fb about it but directs you to website which is down!

Highly likely it's just moved further up stream to make one long downstream swim for Olympic.

I know, terrible news altogether..... ;)
    Fish will still have a gap, but you'd imagine just a bit less than normal.

Highly likely it's just moved further up stream to make one long downstream swim for Olympic.

I think that comment is just in relation to the route change.

Was down stream then back up, now up stream and then down.

Although another late change isn't out of the question I reckon.

I think that comment is just in relation to the route change.

Was down stream then back up, now up stream and then down.

Although another late change isn't out of the question I reckon.

Ah got ya.

We'll have to wait and see so.

Ah got ya.

We'll have to wait and see so.

I could be wrong, but thats my reading anyway. He refers to the app which shows the swim route down to the bridge and back.

Rumours of high fast water so you might get lucky.

• Advertisement

I was hoping that, then I remembered I wasn't able to swim downstream in Athy either so it doesn't make a difference. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HeadBangersBall

Hi All,
    Here is the link to the website for the results:

http://results.ultimate.dk/events/2012/tri/triathlone/estandings/front/frameset.php

Here is a webapp for those of you without an iPhone:
    http://results.ultimate.dk/events/2012/tri/triathlone/estandings/mtracker/

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Out of the water with the lead group, fastest T1 yet, going well on a borrowed TT bike....then puncture at 19km - gutted. I blame that saddle on loan from BTH...

Out of the water with the lead group, fastest T1 yet, going well on a borrowed TT bike....then puncture at 19km - gutted. I blame that saddle on loan from BTH...

You were beside me in transition (i was number 5) seemed you were having trouble setting up the bike beforehand? Hard luck, getting through the toughest part of the bike and have to bail is a bitch. If it's any consolation going back didn't feel that much easier than going out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

It would have been nice to actually be in the water before the start horn blew. Muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Herc

Agree - really pi$$ed with the swim start and the way it was handled - granted conditions tough but ..... can't fault the rest of the day though so credit where credit is due but criticism also where due

we were still makin our way into the water to the start point when the horn sounded...i was actually facing the wrong way at the time

Herc wrote: »
    Agree - really pi$$ed with the swim start and the way it was handled - granted conditions tough but ..... can't fault the rest of the day though so credit where credit is due but criticism also where due

They could have done with better marshalling at the turnaround point on the bike though. I was standing there when I got a puncture and most people continued to the second line of cones instead of turning at the first one. I ended up standing out in the road directing the cyclists until the broomwagon came:rolleyes:

You were beside me in transition (i was number 5) seemed you were having trouble setting up the bike beforehand? Hard luck, getting through the toughest part of the bike and have to bail is a bitch. If it's any consolation going back didn't feel that much easier than going out. :D

Oh right, you should have said hi...although I probably didn't seem too approachable. I was just a bit stressed out - the bike was borrowed and my bits and pieces didn't seem to be fitting on. The transition zone 40 mins before my race start prob wasn't the best place to be finding this out though...hope your race went well!

• Advertisement

That saddle has now doubled in price.

Advertisement