Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving windows open in apartments

Options
  • 11-06-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

How safe is it to leave windows and doors open in apartments during the day/night?

I'm in a second floor apartment, and I regularly leave a large balcony window open for a couple of days at a time, whether I'm in the apartment or not. The window is definitely big enough for someone to get into the apartment, if they got as far as the balcony. The balcony is over a common courtyard, and if you are in the courtyard, you can see whether the window is open.

I'm not aware of any security etc in place in this apartment complex, but it's a fairly safe quiet area in general. My balcony is at the main entrance of the complex, and just beside the only car park entrance for the whole complex - there are maybe 30 apartments opposite us that would have a clear view of our building, and there are usually cars going in and out of the car park.

I feel quite safe leaving this window open, as I think it would just be too difficult for someone to access a second floor balcony in a fairly public location. Am I being too naive? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

redz11 wrote: »
    Am I being too naive? :o

I think so.

I had a similar setup as you in an apartment where I lived and got robbed in the middle of a Sunday while I was in the apartment. The window was in the bedroom and they didn't go into any other rooms, so didn't hear a thing. There must have at least 2 of them as you would need a boost to reach the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I wouldn't be considering "how safe" it is, but rather will your insurance cover any losses made if you do get burgled.

I'd imagine that leaving the "large balcony window open for a couple of days at a time, whether you're in the apartment or not" would invalidate any insurance cover you may have.

On another point, don't you care if rain get's in? Do you rent? Ireland doesn't exactly have the weather to be leaving windows open for days while you're not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would it be difficult. I assume if there's balconies, they could use those, if not other features to climb up. Considering you see news reports of burglars on factory roofs so they are not scared of climbing. That said I don't think its a very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Zulu wrote: »
    I wouldn't be considering "how safe" it is, but rather will your insurance cover any losses made if you do get burgled.

I'd imagine that leaving the "large balcony window open for a couple of days at a time, whether you're in the apartment or not" would invalidate any insurance cover you may have.

On another point, don't you care if rain get's in? Do you rent? Ireland doesn't exactly have the weather to be leaving windows open for days while you're not there.

I don't have insurance, I'm renting.

Rain doesn't get in through the window, it's a large sheltered balcony (with a roof over it, and walls either side.

And this apartment (like all newer apartments I've rented in Dublin) is very warm all of the time - you do need to leave the windows open a fair bit, at all times of the year, to keep the place at a comfortable temperature.

Zulu wrote: »
    ...On another point, don't you care if rain get's in? Do you rent? Ireland doesn't exactly have the weather to be leaving windows open for days while you're not there.

If its hinged from the top, and its only a small gap, rain would be unlikely to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I feel relatively safe leaving my windows open on my second floor apartment, but only because it would be near impossible to get in the windows without using a ladder from a gated courtyard/car park that is visible to all apartments and there is usually people around the complex all day (so its extremely unlikely someone would take a chance).

In my last place, even though I was on the second floor I would not take the chance. On one side of the apartment all windows open out onto a large balcony, which is accessible from the balconies either side (which were part of empty apartments), and also from above if someone was prepared to use Batman tactics to lower themselves down (which wouldnt actually have been too hard in this place). The windows on the other side were a bit safer, but to be honest given how deserted the place was most of the time (it was pretty much a ghost town) I wouldnt actually be surprised if someone propped up a ladder to get in and noone noticed/took any interest in them doing so.

Bottom line is that its really down to where you live and the level of access/security in the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't have insurance, I'm renting.

You don't have insurance???? :eek:

So, if your place was robbed, you would have nothing left.

Get some insurance, contents only insurance.

While we do have lots of windows open in our apt, we would never go out and leave them open. We always close the windows and set the alarm, even if only going to the shop around the corner. Our apt gets very warm too, but a ceiling fan helps keep it cool. And, we live on a 3rd floor, which would be very very difficult to get to.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd prefer to be paranoid and safe, than naive and get robbed.

djimi wrote: »
    I feel relatively safe leaving my windows open on my second floor apartment, but only because it would be near impossible to get in the windows without using a ladder from a gated courtyard/car park that is visible to all apartments and there is usually people around the complex all day (so its extremely unlikely someone would take a chance).

Well, that's how I feel! If anyone were to attempt to break in, they'd be in very clear view of a lot of other apartments. It would be incredibly risky, I can't imagine anyone attempting it, when I'm sure there are plenty of easier targets around!
    Paulw wrote: »
    You don't have insurance???? :eek:

So, if your place was robbed, you would have nothing left.

Get some insurance, contents only insurance.

But I have nothing of value! All I really own is my clothes, and I doubt they could be insured (not that they'd be worth much!) I never leave my phone/laptop/wallet/car keys etc in the apartment when I'm not there. I honestly don't have anything worth stealing, so I don't see the point in paying for insurance.
    Paulw wrote: »
    Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd prefer to be paranoid and safe, than naive and get robbed.

It's interesting to see the different viewpoints. As above, I'm not really concerned about my possessions being robbed, as I don't really have anything of value. My main concern would be coming home to find someone in my apartment. I posted the thread because of a personal safety concern, more than anything else, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

But I have nothing of value! All I really own is my clothes, and I doubt they could be insured (not that they'd be worth much!) I never leave my phone/laptop/wallet/car keys etc in the apartment when I'm not there. I honestly don't have anything worth stealing, so I don't see the point in paying for insurance.

I was wondering the same thing. We had insurance on our apartment when we first moved in but except for a two year old laptop, a D-SLR and maybe the TV and Wii there's nothing of value that I can imagine anyone stealing so we let it lapse. Our apartment, like the OPs, is overly warm with the windows closed so we leave them on tilt all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Contents insurance costs me €130 for the year (roughly €10 a month direct debit). Considering it covers every item I own which is €1500 or less in value (up to a max of €25k I think), whether or not it gets lost/stolen/broken inside or outside the house, its well worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Well, that's how I feel! If anyone were to attempt to break in, they'd be in very clear view of a lot of other apartments. It would be incredibly risky, I can't imagine anyone attempting it, when I'm sure there are plenty of easier targets around!
    You would be surprised what some people would chance doing. Leaving windows (especially balcony doors) clearly open is very risky imo but its your call on the risk.

I think you are applying logic to people who aren't very logical.

I had a good look at it today, from the outside and the inside.

The balcony is completely recessed into the building (if that makes sense?!) The balconies to either side are well away from it, you couldn't reach the balcony from either side.

So basically the only way you could reach it, is to either abseil from the top of the four story building, or to use a ladder from below (a very long one, to get to the second floor.)

My thinking is that, if someone were to go to all that effort to get onto the balcony (and considering it's in a very public place - the main entrance into the complex) then surely it wouldn't bother them to break a window once they get there?! Seeing as they're not too worried about drawing attention to themselves in the first place.

The other thing is that, if they see a window open, aren't they more likely to assume there's someone home, and therefore less likely to break in? (Anyways, the lights would be turned on/off at various times. If I wasn't going to be around at all for a couple of days, I'd close the windows, I'd only leave them open for a couple of days at a time if I was going to be in and out quite a bit.)

There are loads of ground floor and first floor apartments all around - much easier targets.

I only have an old wreck of a car, so even if someone were to be keeping an eye on the carpark to target residents that way, they certainly wouldn't be attracted towards my apartment because of my car! :o There are lots of nicer cars in the car park!!!

I'm certainly taking all of your responses into account, and I acknowledge that there's a certain element of risk there. However, to me, it seems so unlikely that someone would make their way onto my particular balcony in the first place (because of the difficulty involved, the public location of it, and the lack of motive such as visible valuables), that if they made their way that far, whether a window is opened or closed isn't going to stop them!!

It's not out of laziness that I leave it open - it's just that it needs to be kept open quite a bit to keep the place cool and well-aired. (And I'm not complaining about this - I'm willing to compromise if it means zero heating bills, even in winter! :D ) The thing is, though, that I don't spend much time at home, and even when I'm there, I'm usually in my bedroom (at the other end of the apartment.) So, if I were to only have the window open at times I'm in the main room with the balcony, this would be for maybe half an hour a day - which is really not enough to air out the place.

Other apartments I've lived in have been very similar to this one, and I've always left the balcony doors/windows open. I guess I'm just wondering what other people do, living in such places?

I do notice that the balcony doors/windows in the other apartments in the complex seem to be open an awful lot of the time, however I've no way of knowing if the residents are home at the time or not!

I suppose it's just a case of balancing the risk involved. And, in my opinion, I can't see that having the window open increases the risk all that much at all?

Still would appreciate any other opinions on it!

I'm thinking that maybe I'll only leave it open during the day, but not at night. Then again, don't most robberies happen during the day ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting thread... do they have eg window cleaners where you are? And are the neighbours likely toreport anything like a ladder? Given that since Christmas there have been two cases of folk lying dead a month in their homes before bein found?

And there are burglar alarms...you can get one that barks I have heard.

We are in deep rural area and very isolated. I came home once to find a man lurking, who scarpered fast enough. But then we have two very loud dogs. I leave a window open for the cats. And now there is an old car there..

Cannot imagine a place beimg too warm like that.

And yes, your call entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you may have a terrace, not a balcony. :)

You also need to consider our flying friends, whether they have 2 or more legs.

Basement: No

Ground floor: No

First floor: Yes, if "popping out for a few minutes". Definitely no if going away for the weekend.

Second floor and above: Yes, assuming no particular risk. Definitely no if going away for the weekend.

Victor wrote: »
    I think you may have a terrace, not a balcony. :)

You also need to consider our flying friends, whether they have 2 or more legs.

Basement: No

Ground floor: No

First floor: Yes, if "popping out for a few minutes". Definitely no if going away for the weekend.

Second floor and above: Yes, assuming no particular risk. Definitely no if going away for the weekend.

Maybe it's a terrace alright! :o I don't know the difference! It's a biggish area, with a table and chairs and plenty of space. But it is recessed into the building - is that what makes it a terrace? :o

I haven't ever noticed any problems with insects etc.

Thanks for your post ... I guess that I want reassurance that, while I'm aware I'm taking a slight risk, I'm not being totally stupid! :o

While I'll continue to leave the window open during the day, I definitely intend on being more aware of it in future, and won't leave it open for more than a day continuously at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Could your upstairs neighbour jump off his balcony and onto yours? Could someone get onto your balcony from the roof? You need to consider that too.

Also if you're in Dublin or and big town the risk is much greater than a small town that only has one burgulary a month.

Advertisement