Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspection notice from landlord

Options
  • 11-06-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I met my landlord this morning while leaving for work and he said he wanted to do a inspection of apartment (probably today). Is there a minimum amount of notice for a inspection ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

24 hours would be the minumum notice that would be given for such a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mairtin.l

Thanks for the quick response. I thought so too. How can someone have privacy in a apartment when the landlord can come and go as they wish without warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They cant. The landlord is entitled to carry out an inspection, but only at a pre-arranged time that is mutually suitable. They cannot arrive unannounced or declare that they will be there at a certain time and expect to be let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

djimi wrote: »
    They cant. The landlord is entitled to carry out an inspection, but only at a pre-arranged time that is mutually suitable. They cannot arrive unannounced or declare that they will be there at a certain time and expect to be let in.

Y: "he's" right. Unless your landlord suspects you're up to something major ( like moving truck outside & boxes exiting !) s/he can't expect to be let in on a turnaround request. If they live at the other end if the country & found themselves suddenly in ( wherever you are) it would be nice of you to accommodate them ( you don't have to) but then s/he should know it's not dusted/ tidied etc as it might normally be due to you having no reasonable notice & accommodating their unexpected request.

I would say landlord might think something is afoot: everyone knows you are not allowed to do this on demand; but if it suited you could use the opportunity to gain points with your landlord & it being immaculate while letting them know you put yourself out to keep them sweet!! You might appreciate it when deposit time comes round or when you need a few days extra for free or a landlordly favour!!!

Check your lease: maybe they have set inspection dates or schedules in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last year we had an email from a complete stranger saying he was mailing on behalf of our landlord asking to come to view the house.

We of course thought he was intending to sell and called the agent asking what was going on and should we start packing...

We did actually start seeking a house..

No idea what was said, but the ll now does not even attempt to enter the house even when the plumber comes...

• Advertisement
Advertisement