Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company Turning off Water

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moranorla

I work in property management and i cant imagine a management agent would have either the ability or the right to turn off the water supply to an individual apartment in an apartment complex. Its more likely that the plumber was investigating a leak and just didnt bother explaining themselves properly. If the plumber had to enter the apartment to turn off the water then surely he just turned off the stopcock (probably under the sink) in which case the occupier can turn it back on again??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

djimi wrote: »
    And as such it is the owner and only the owner that the management company should persue and penalize. A tenant does not know the financial standing of their landlord; that is none of their business. It is not right that they should be the ones to suffer; no matter whos fault it is that the situation has arisen.
    Why should a tenant have more rights than an owner-occupier? Management companies have limited leverage, and your suggestion would remove nearly all of it. The fundamental point is that landlords have an obligation to pay the management charges, in part to ensure that their tenants enjoy the benefits provided by the management company for occupiers.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    Maybe there should be some provision for the tenant to withhold some of the rent and pass to the management company in a scenario like this...
    That would be the perfect solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why should a tenant have more rights than an owner-occupier? Management companies have limited leverage, and your suggestion would remove nearly all of it. The fundamental point is that landlords have an obligation to pay the management charges, in part to ensure that their tenants enjoy the benefits provided by the management company for occupiers.

Because the tenant is in no way involved in the dispute; they probably wont find out about it until the last minute and have no way to influence the outcome, yet they are the ones who will suffer all the fall out. That to me is just wrong; why should a tenant be left without services such as parking (or worse if that is indeed what happened with the OP) because their landlord is in dispute with the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zulu wrote: »
    Sadly, it doesn't look like your friend is interested in doing that however. I'm sure their parents are proud.
    No need to be quite so snide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement