Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Eircom door-to-door salesman?

• 11-06-2012 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

This was on Limerick Today (Live 95FM) this morning, where listeners reported being suspicious of the following:
    • A tall man claiming to be an Eircom broadband salesman.
    • Red car, Limerick plates.
    • No Eircom uniform/van, no leaflets to hand out (though he had a book and an in-hand copy).

Apparently he's been going round the county asking people about their broadband and offering Eircom's package but many are suspicious that he's actually from Eircom at all.

A person matching the above description visited my home a few weeks ago; I turned him away, simply because the package he was offering was slower and more expensive to the broadband I have now (BBnet), and never thought of it again until hearing it on the radio this morning.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have very little time for any salesperson who wants to come onto my property and waste my time. If I want to buy something I go directly to that company/service provider and don't appreciate having my personal time and space intruded upon by some plank with a clipboard.

I generally just treat them all as if they are dodgy, and tell them firmly I am not in the slightest bit interested when one of them buzzes the intercom at the front gate. No point in entering into some conversation that only wastes your time.

Baffles me how people keep getting caught by scammers at their front door. Why the hell would anyone give out their bank account details or credit card details to some randomer at the front door? And worse still, why the hell would anyone let a total stranger into their home without being 100% as to who they were letting in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Most companies these days outsource their sales instead of employing sales people. So it's perfectly possible that this person is in fact working on behalf of eircom. Not having a van or uniform doesn't mean he isn't working for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Even the out sourced sales reps have some kind of I.d or that which represents the company they are selling for. The Airtricity lads had either Airtricity jackets or the Airtricity I.D's.

Anybody know what details in particular the lad 'selling' eircom was looking for?

source wrote: »
    Most companies these days outsource their sales instead of employing sales people. So it's perfectly possible that this person is in fact working on behalf of eircom. Not having a van or uniform doesn't mean he isn't working for them.

No it is not possible that the guy spoken about on the radio is working for or on behalf of Eircom because Eircom gave a statement to the radio station saying that they had nobody in that area (that was working directly for them or through an agency) and that everyone that represents them has to have the proper ID to show a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

He came to my house aswell, (strange because I live in a very quiet location) he came once at 11, I ignored him, then called back at 5:30, I ignored him again until he started looking in and banging on the window, WANKER! Told me they have a deal where he can re-connect me for free? Knew he wasn't right! Told him to sling his hook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Kess73 wrote: »
    No it is not possible that the guy spoken about on the radio is working for or on behalf of Eircom because Eircom gave a statement to the radio station saying that they had nobody in that area (that was working directly for them or through an agency) and that everyone that represents them has to have the proper ID to show a customer.

Ah yes, well you see if that was in the OP then I wouldn't have commented, fact of the matter is I don't listen to local radio, so wouldn't have heard the programme in question. As such I based my response on what information I had to hand, which in this instance was the OP.

source wrote: »
    Ah yes, well you see if that was in the OP then I wouldn't have commented, fact of the matter is I don't listen to local radio, so wouldn't have heard the programme in question. As such I based my response on what information I had to hand, which in this instance was the OP.

I forgive you for not listening to the uber high quality radio service that is Live95FM. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I had this fellow call to my door yesterday(Thomandgate)around the age of 25. Black spikey hair. Defenitily not a local, looking for sponership on something. He looked dodgy. I told him to sling it and closed the door.
    I looked out the window and he was eyeing up the inside of my car.
    I am sorry now I left him go, the next time he might slip on my pathway and crack his skull (my pathway is very slippery).;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

He is probably casing places, seeing if they are vacant, looking for easy pickings.

Advertisement