Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper plants (a long shot but desperately seeking a few)

Options
  • 11-06-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

Hola,
    so I normally grow about 10 pepper plants - regular and jalapeño each year in my little greenhouse to make a few jars of relish. This year I got stung on some terrible seeds and find myself with no plants. Disaster.
    If by chance some local kind soul had a few to sell then I'd be most thankful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

old gregg wrote: »
    Hola,
    so I normally grow about 10 pepper plants - regular and jalapeño each year in my little greenhouse to make a few jars of relish. This year I got stung on some terrible seeds and find myself with no plants. Disaster.
    If by chance some local kind soul had a few to sell then I'd be most thankful.

Oh one of my friends is growing some now at the moment. He likes to make his own relish and stuff aswell. Ill ask him which kind he has and then try rob some from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Oh one of my friends is growing some now at the moment. He likes to make his own relish and stuff aswell. Ill ask him which kind he has and then try rob some from him.

this would be muchly appreciated and thanks. I love making relish and am gutted that I'll have none this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Not sure if they still have them, but Homebase was selling a few varieties a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

buylo had them last time i was there about 2 weeks ago

this sounds promising and thanks. I shall try both places today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

No sure if you were able to track down any pepper plants OP, but I just noticed that Aldi is getting them in as one of their "Specials" tomorrow (21st June) Link

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Fishy1 wrote: »
    No sure if you were able to track down any pepper plants OP, but I just noticed that Aldi is getting them in as one of their "Specials" tomorrow (21st June) Link

got these last year and they turned out pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I also like to grow peppers of all sorts, I have about 5 or 6 growing now on my Kitchen window cill and have grown a few over the past few years,

A little Tip for you or anybody wanting to grow things, If you chop a pepper take the seeds out and plant them on your window cill in a little covered tray and see if they germinate, Thats how i grew mine, i never bought any just took them from a vegetable i was chopping in the kitchen same thing. Same with Chilli's same with Lemons same with apples same with Anything with a seed in it can be grown, i have pumpkins growing from last halloween when i cut out the centre i kept the seeds and ive had alot growing and gave loads to friends, Ive also done the same with tomatoes, slice a tomatoe and scoop out the seeds try and seperate them and they will also grow,

If yo chop scallions, keep the ends and they will also grow fully again.

Sorry for going on i just like growing this stuff, i had 2 lemon trees from a lemon i ate and an apple tree in my garden from an apple i ate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

If they're heritage produce then that should work but if they're from F1 Hybrids then they may grow but not produce fruit.

deisemum wrote: »
    If they're heritage produce then that should work but if they're from F1 Hybrids then they may grow but not produce fruit.

I think the seeds being used for sales in shops are probably some sort of Hybrid, Apple seeds however may not as you need to take a snip from another apple tree and bind it to it to help produce fruit.

The Chillies i have have produced alot of chillies as have my pumpkins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Mate wont give any away, the fooker.

just back from holidays and seeing updates to this thread. Many thanks to all. It's a few days late but I'll try to drop in Aldi on the off chance they still have some in stock.

My little greenhouse is looking pretty empty this year :(

Just do like i said, buy some peppers in the shop and just used the seed inside them, buy some chillies use the seed inside them, they are usually prolific, Thats what i did and i have a windocill full of chillies!

Just do like i said, buy some peppers in the shop and just used the seed inside them, buy some chillies use the seed inside them, they are usually prolific, Thats what i did and i have a windocill full of chillies!

ah yes, I understand this to be true and have grown veg this way in the past *. The issue with me is that I need growing plants to produce peppers this year. Growing from seed at this late stage won't achieve that.

* a few years ago I accidentally chopped an almost ready to flower tomato plant completely in half at the base. I tied it all together and added extra support and tape. That plant went on and produced the best tasting and most abundant crop of the year. I dried some seeds and grew them with great success last year.

Well it does depend doesnt it, I have them on my cill and they are producing for me, I have tried alot this way tomatoes i even had lemon, i also have apple trees growing yes its also true that sometimes they wont produce but it cant be hit and miss.

Well it does depend doesnt it, I have them on my cill and they are producing for me, I have tried alot this way tomatoes i even had lemon, i also have apple trees growing yes its also true that sometimes they wont produce but it cant be hit and miss.

when did you plant the seeds and when did they start producing peppers?

oh i get what you mean, like how long it will take from seed to produce! Ive kept them indoors in a little tray with a cover and then when they germinated i put them on the window cill, Although yeah it did take a long time to get to here, I started them about march id say or april.

Any ideas for natural green fly killers? I have a load of green fly but i dont want to spay anything on them unless its natural.

ah yea no worries. I managed to pick up a few sweet pepper plants this morning in Woodies so that's a start.

Green fly hate detergent so a light mix of a natural detergent and water will work. I use some ecover and water. Mix it up in a little hand mister and spray like crazy. I've also seen crushed garlic being included.
    For prevention .... and if you're lucky, keeping nettles growing nearby will encourage lady birds and those little critters devour green fly.

They're are actually still indoors so no chance of ladybirds eating them Id be a bit unsure about using detergent on them as they are already producing chillies and im not sure i want detergent on something i wanna eat, I know they get sprayed with other stuff normally but i prefer not to.

a natural detergent like ecover in small quantities diluted is probably safe to drink as it doesn't contain surfactants which you'd understandably not want near your food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement