Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snobs hotel review!

• 11-06-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Funny review on tripadvisor for castle Leslie estate in Monaghan: :pac:

Had a very open mind when visiting Leslie..friends and media and tripadvisor reviews were all very positive and I wasn't expecting or had particularly wanted the 'Country House & Spa' luxury treatment . Unfortunately Castle Leslie is priced up there if even higher than the best. I accept that it was August bank holiday weekend when we visited and was prepared to pay high rates and put up with overworked staff and busy kitchens etc. I was looking forward to splashing out for 'something eccentirc and very different from the usual country house retreat' which i was lead to believe Castle Leslie was according to reviews and their own literature .
    However I was not prepared for the following:

(1)Pressing an intercom on arrival and being greeted with 'Hello Castle Leslie' by a very friendly but inexperienced spotty teenager who didn't even know when the house( which is not that old) was built!

(2)It's guests (that weekend anyway) were mostly young people from Northern Ireland (I suppose sterling exchange makes it seem less of a rip off) dressed in Topman and Ben Sherman outfits..lots of Grant Mitchell lookalikes. ( I got a little nervous as i pulled into the carpark in front of the house which was cluttered with blingy SUVs and BMW's with tinted windows.) I thought that I was arriving at one of those new 'G Hotel' places.

(3) I would have loved a GnT before dinner but all they had was 'Beer or Wine' as I was told by a delightful wee teenage girl with orthodontic braces.!! Some guests were drinking Budweiser from bottles in the main reception room!

(4)We opted for the surprise menu (upgrade from 52 euro to 60 euro at you peril) and also the surprise wine menu(24 euro). I am shocked at the reviews about Leslie's fabulous food . My companion was brought 'Pistachio (sic) of Venision' ...We forgave the waiter (strong local accent) this one for it was the poor spotty teenager who greeted us so specially at the front door who was later doubling up as one of our many waiters. Why do chefs still serve venision in Summer? My scallops were lovely but the wine chosen for me arrived with my scallops now gone cold and it was a big red Bordeaux (with scallops) hmm..??? very eccentric indeed Leslie.
    Nice little amuse bouches and what- have - you's to follow but then arrived a stinking plate of 'gone off unseasonal venison' as my main course! I love my game 'high' but this was awful ..it was tough so not hung properly ,smelled like Tesco's reduced Value chicken just as its turning. At this stage I was't even going to complain as I was tired and disappointed. I have to admire the middle aged lady who immediately spotted my sadness (perhaps it was the stink of rotten defrosted deer meat) and immediately removed my plate and asked me what would I like ..She was so nice that I felt compelled to continue with the 'surprise menu' ...the food and wine ,port sand coffee that followed was fine if unremarkable. The dining room is beautiful and has a lovely atmosphere but let down by inconsistent food and untrained staff on this occasion..what a pity..(The sort of food Mr Fearnley Whittingstall cooks up would be amazing in such a setting..)

(4) Off to bed then..very comfy with unpretentious blankets but would have expected higher quality non repro antiques (again to match the price charged). Lovely having no TV and phone and very quiet too..HOWEVER what is inexcusable was the dirty toilet...I love Shabby Chic but this was altogether downright laziness and unhygienic..dried brown splashes around the rim !!! And it doesn't take much to use a little carpet shampoo as the room had been recently decorated. ( Note no lockable doors either or had they just forgot to give us a key..it didn't bother us but some may find this strange esp. with all the SUV.blacked out window BMW's outside.)

(5) I still was willing to forgive Leslie all this until breakfast...Pancakes tasted of greenmould..juices possibly from ASDA and my cooked breakfast was a 'poached' egg that was basically just a dry overcooked mess something a student would attempt after a night on the town..Again I couldn't complain to anyone as the only person on wait was another smily teenager who couldn't be expected to take responsibility for such an awful fare.. ( Subsequently the same girl ,Irish and local accent,informed me that it would take 3 hours to get to Maherfelt from Leslie..it took 45 mins!!!)

Again all this 'quirkiness' (I am trying to be nice here) would be welcome change ,funny and perfectly acceptable for 100 euro a night (at a push) but we had little change of 500 euro for 1 night at Leslie...AND NOBODY EVEN SAID GOODBYE TO US..HAVE THEY NO MANNERS IN MONAGHAN.?

..No wonder Jack can afford to be off in Italy (laughing at his silly guests) for 6 weeks ....I suggest he put some of these high rates back into training his very young staff and keeping the place reasonably clean... Please don't get me wrong.. I love muck and wellies and dust and shabiness as long as its all in the name of authenticity and heritage but Leslie is just a very expensive ,dirty hotel you might come accross on a Victorian sea front in Torquay in the 1970's.!!!!

TLDR - jumped up twat comments on spotty teenagers and lovely girls but they have braces in discust.

I wish the world was rid of vermon like this :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Seems legit review to me OP.

What exactly is wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

WoH!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It does prove that an awful lot of **** post reviews on Trip Advisor about hotels............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The amount of places I've stayed in that have had bad reviews over the state of the toilets, floor, walls, bedrooms, etc.

Then when I get there I'm left puzzled as to what is wrong with some people, fully expecting cockroaches or something. They sure do love to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Guffaw guffaw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Smcgie wrote: »
    (1)Pressing an intercom on arrival and being greeted with 'Hello Castle Leslie' by a very friendly but inexperienced spotty teenager

Spots must've been bad if she could hear them over the intercom.

Anyone else read this with the spotty teenager voice from the Simpsons in their heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Resident's bar stays open til 4 or 5am.....check
    Bed in the room.....check
    Jax and bog roll for a dump in the morn.....check
    Shower to have a wash.....check
    Dressing gown to rob.....optional

What more do ya want from a hotel? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

A pal of mine is in the hotel industry, and is dead certain competitors upload nasty reviews about other hotels.......or comp other people (they know) to do it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Some guests were drinking Budweiser from bottles in the main reception room!

Oh Jesus, the humanity!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Googles Castle Leslie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Everyone wants a ride in a hotel, she obviously didn't get one....took it out on the hotel!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Everyone wants a ride in a hotel, she obviously didn't get one....took it out on the hotel!

I don't know why but I got the impression it was by a mans hand..

Strange looking hotel though.. very Kitsch..

xzanti wrote: »

I don't know why but I got the impression it was by a mans hand..

Strange looking hotel though.. very Kitsch..

I'm thinking woman, the fact she didn't complain to them, just on a public review...seems more of a woman's thing to do.

ANd can't imagine a man feeling the need to point out spots or braces...

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

From 6 years ago........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm staying there in august for a wedding - so i'm glad to hear the amuse bouche is delightful, it does so ruin ones stay to be served an undelightful amuse bouche.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Apart from the punctuation, spelling and personal remarks about staff members, I don't see anything wrong with it either! I've been to expensive hotels/resorts with glowing reviews only to find the exact opposite far too many times. I always write an honest review and let the hotel know as well. Nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a hotel stay only to find a bunch of howayas have taken over the place with their screeching offspring on some cheap voucher deal! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

who does she think she is complaining on the internet

Apart from the punctuation, spelling and personal remarks about staff members, I don't see anything wrong with it either! I've been to expensive hotels/resorts with glowing reviews only to find the exact opposite far too many times. I always write an honest review and let the hotel know as well. Nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a hotel stay only to find a bunch of howayas have taken over the place with their screeching offspring on some cheap voucher deal! :mad:

Nice one, thats the summer hollies sorted:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Moral of the story is charge 500 quid a night and your customers will be nit picking posh folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 naysayer

Couldn't help but think of Gil Chesterton while reading this.
    16730_1213968762480_247_225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Most of her complaints seem valid, bar the comments about the spotty teenagers (who else was working in hotels 6 years ago?), but the writing style comes across like Mrs Bouquet taking the piss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Someone is from Monaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The one and only time I stayed in Castle Leslie, there was a bat in my room and it shat on my pillow.

Ya don't see me whinging on Trip Advisor.

Plazaman wrote: »
    The one and only time I stayed in Castle Leslie, there was a bat in my room and it shat on my pillow.

Ya don't see me whinging on Trip Advisor.

No, just boards :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

mikemac1 wrote: »

Why order it so? :rolleyes:

I would imagine with the "suprise" menu you don't know.

SUPRISE!!! geddit?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I thought it was written by a man too. Dunno why. The complaints about staff with spots and braces were a bit much, but the rest seemed valid enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I don't understand, she keeps referring to the staffs' 'local accent', as if it's a bad thing? What's she expecting? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I'm thinking woman, the fact she didn't complain to them, just on a public review...seems more of a woman's thing to do.

ANd can't imagine a man feeling the need to point out spots or braces...

Could be wrong though.

Assumed it was a woman myself.

And anyone who says 'amuse bouches' is a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Assumed it was a woman myself.

What should he/she have called them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have your spots cleared up OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

It must be a pisstake. What bar only has beer and wine for feck sake. Regarding the accents though, you'd expect all teenagers working in a part time job like this to have polished south dublin accents in this day and age wouldn't you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kfallon wrote: »
    Resident's bar stays open til 4 or 5am.....check
    Bed in the room.....check
    Jax and bog roll for a dump in the morn.....check
    Shower to have a wash.....check
    Dressing gown to rob.....optional

What more do ya want from a hotel? :confused:

A refined selection of coke and hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

People in Monaghan with strong local accents??? :eek: :eek:

Bad Panda wrote: »

I know, because everyone knows that the plural of amuse bouche is just amuse bouche, right?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

GastroBoy wrote: »
    I know, because everyone knows that the plural of amuse bouche is just amuse bouche, right?:D

I was hoping it would be 'amuses bouche' but we are both wrong (well you only partially):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuse-bouche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

We are not amused bouche.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I thought it was all “a little tongue and cheek” myself! Definitely a he and (quite frankly) he made me laugh my britches off!

Jolly good old bean!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

If you're charging a premium for excellence, you should be delivering it.
    Snobby or not, there are certain things that are assumed part of the value proposition when you're forking out that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tripadvisor reviews would put you off going anywhere, some of the nicest hotels i've stayed in have gotten horrible reviews on there for nothing but trivial complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I wish the world was rid of vermon like this :(

"Vermin"

Just sayin' is all.

Seriously, it was a seriously written review, so why the hub-bub?

If i was left little change for €500 i'd expect everything to be perfect, and if it wasn't i'd complain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

If you're charging a premium for excellence, you should be delivering it.
    Snobby or not, there are certain things that are assumed part of the value proposition when you're forking out that kind of money.

I look at the other way, if you're stupid enough to fork out €500 for a stay in a smelly rundown castle (I had a meal in it once) then you're an idiot IMO.

There is nothing special about the castle - only the marketing manager. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Bar the ridiculous personal remarks about spots, braces, accents and the other guests the rest of it is a pretty good review with what sound like valid complaints, bad service, bad food, dirty toilet..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

...AND NOBODY EVEN SAID GOODBYE TO US..HAVE THEY NO MANNERS IN MONAGHAN.?

:(

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Red wine with scollops is not on.

*rings bell to advise Jeeves*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Damm you, I was about to post that about the red wine, thats just shocking lack of knowledge from wait staff.

The Author makes some very valid points, its does come across as a little snide in places but I would be of the same opinion, if I'm going to shell out 500 quid for a Hotel I'd like the room to be clean and the food to be edible, dunno what his/her complaint about all the BMW's is tho, nicest people in the world BMW Drivers, also, and I know it irks some others in polite society, but I do like to drink my Beer from the bottle if thats how its served to me, I'd obviously prefer it to be draught but thems the breaks sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if i paid 500 quid for a night i would want it to be really nice. no problem about the teenagers and bmws thats just all ****e but dirty toilets no key to the room, and horrible food would make you quite upset about parting with your money. I'd bitch about the teenagers who got paid to give me bad service if that happened to me tbh.

Reviewer still sounds like a prick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Definitely sounds like a male reviewer but you have to laugh ffs ...... The spotty teen, braces, BMWs, red wine with venison how uncouth can you be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

From the looks of the hotel and the price of it I would be wanting a hell of a lot more than gammy food and a dirty room. I'd be wanting my own butler to hold the bog roll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Local accent means common and unrefined.

The review is a bit pretentious and the writing style wouldn't be to my taste but it seems quite reasonable.

It's a 500 euro a night hotel, do people expect the reviewers to be complaining about the chips being soggy?

500 euro a night for a night in Monaghan is a recipe for disappointment, even during the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

well Red wine with Venison wouldnt be that bad, depending onthe type of Wine obviously, a good Merlot would be fine.

However Red wine with Scallops thats a no no, Scallops are a Seafood the only Redish wine you would use is a Rose and that would be very palate specific, best bet in that situation is a Sav Blanc or, heaven forbid, a Chardonay

• Advertisement
Advertisement