Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snobs hotel review!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Smcgie wrote: »
    I love my game 'high' but this was awful ..it was tough so not hung properly ,smelled like Tesco's reduced Value chicken just as its turning.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'd say if you know the finer points of aged venison, you probably haven't had to slum it on gone-off Tesco chicken too much.

Trip Advisor reviews are mad though. Saw one before, the guy had raved about everthing — value, views, food, cleaniness, great staff; "but the tea & coffee making facilities in the room left a lot to be desired. 2/10" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Sounds like some foreign snob.

"Local accent" fcuk sake, thats grounds for a refund right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You'd want to be paid €500 a night to listen to the feckin Monaghan accent ;)

Seriously though, this review has to be a piss take.

As said earlier in the thread, what bar doesn't have gin and tonic.

Sounds like a crock of sh1te.

Entertaining though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sounds like some foreign snob.

"Local accent" fcuk sake, thats grounds for a refund right there

Expecting the locals to have BBC accents me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

NH Barbizon Palace: Traveler Reviews

"“The worst 5star hotel I've ever seen”
    1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011
    person found this review helpful

Very ugly staff, bad rooms, perfect location, bad room service. I've booked a suite in this hotel and was really disappointed by the staff and the cleanlyness of the room. Please, never book this hotel if you want a 5star experience in Amsterdam. Great city!

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Sat bains ( a legendary chef ) responds to his negative tripadvisor reviews here...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155183/Two-Michelin-starred-chef-makes-cutting-comments-customers-leave-bad-reviews-restaurant-TripAdvisor.html

But for me, tripadvisor has to be taken with a pinch of salt, I work in the restaurant trade and the amount of fake reviews are amazing, and people get so wound up about being number 1 in their town it's unbelievable.
    Imagine having your livelyhood pretty much destined by people from the internet, granted most **** places get **** reviews, but some good places are often the victims of smear campaigns by the competition, especially in smaller Irish towns, it's almost impossible to disprove/prove.

I think reviewing sites should take credit cards or passport id's or something before allowing reviews to be published, good or bad, or find someway to make it harder to do fake reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

To be fair, apart from the dodgy spelling in places, the only thing that annoys me about this review is the fact that the writer mentioned someone's skin condition (spotty teenager) and another's orthodontic braces - both have absolutely nothing to do with the hotel standards.
    If I was paying €500 for a night, I would be pretty upset about a dirty room, frozen food and bad service. Actually, a dirty room and bad service is unacceptable at any price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Feathers wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'd say if you know the finer points of aged venison, you probably haven't had to slum it on gone-off Tesco chicken too much.

Trip Advisor reviews are mad though. Saw one before, the guy had raved about everthing — value, views, food, cleaniness, great staff; "but the tea & coffee making facilities in the room left a lot to be desired. 2/10" :rolleyes:
    Thats true. Someone so uber-posh would never admit to shopping in Tesco or Asda, or to watching Eastenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Thats true. Someone so uber-posh would never admit to shopping in Tesco or Asda, or to watching Eastenders.

Most of the complaints are perfectly valid, what's "uber-posh" about them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Sergeant wrote: »
    What should he/she have called them?

Nibbles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Red wine with scollops is not on.

*rings bell to advise Jeeves*

If the wine is nice and scollop's fresh I don't see an issue.

but why would you go to a 500e a night hotel and go blind on the menu seems really retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

prinz wrote: »
    Most of the complaints are perfectly valid, what's "uber-posh" about them?
    It's his/her general attitude that comes across as posh/high and mighty, Prinz.
    People wearing Ben Sherman:eek: and drinking beer from the bottle:eek::eek: a teen with spots:eek::eek::eek:.
    Anyway I reckon it's either a troll or a competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

No

Only mushrooms

My scallops were lovely but the wine chosen for me arrived with my scallops now gone cold and it was a big red Bordeaux (with scallops) hmm..??? very eccentric indeed Leslie.

As a wine drinker .......... I drink whatever I feel like at the time. White/Red=Fish/Meat is a crock. This is the snobbery and elitism that tarnishes wine drinking. The writer of the letter quoted by the OP is either a pompous ass ........... or another establishment trying to run them down. One way or the other, these .com reviewers are open to a lot of skulduggery and should be treated with caution. Some people are uber critical and others will put up with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Spread wrote: »
    My scallops were lovely but the wine chosen for me arrived with my scallops now gone cold and it was a big red Bordeaux (with scallops) hmm..??? very eccentric indeed Leslie.

As a wine drinker .......... I drink whatever I feel like at the time. White/Red=Fish/Meat is a crock. This is the snobbery and elitism that tarnishes wine drinking.

There's a few pairings that should be avoided, a big Bordeaux and fresh scallops being one of them for me.....
    I've had alot of tasting menus and that screams of the wrong wine being given, I'm not a food snob at all, but that would make me raise an eyebrow and adjust my monacle

• Advertisement

This is the snobbery and elitism that tarnishes wine drinking..

Bollix it is. There's a very good reason for those "guidelines"...

http://en.mercopress.com/2009/10/28/science-explains-why-red-wine-with-red-meat-white-wine-with-fish

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080630112013.htm

Anyone choosing wines in a 4/5* hotel should know this kind of thing and be able to best pair wines with certain foods. If you want to choose your own go for it, but for hotel staff in what's trying to pass as a top class establishment to make a cock-up like that is not a good sign unless they could explain the reasoning behind their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

I stayed there the week before last on a groupon voucher and I thought it was beautiful. The room I was staying in (in the lodge) was very nicely decorated and comfortable. I didn't get food in the restaurant because it was 55 quid but got it in the bar and thought it was lovely. The staff were all friendly and really kind, and the grounds of the estate were amazing. The weather was also in the high 20s which probably added to the experience. That woman/ man is obviously ridiculously high maintenance. I have also stayed in other places that I found to be fine that have been slated on trip advisor, so I really wouldn't pay it much heed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

http://en.mercopress.com/2009/10/28/science-explains-why-red-wine-with-red-meat-white-wine-with-fish

Anyone choosing wines in a 4/5* hotel should know this kind of thing and be able to best pair wines with certain foods. If you want to choose your own go for it, but for hotel staff in what's trying to pass as a top class establishment to make a cock-up like that is not a good sign unless they could explain the reasoning behind their choice.

I imagine as this clown chose a "suprise" menu in a 4/5 star establishment they got whatever bottles of wine were not selling well or over stocked.

Not denying the above ....... it's just that different people, different palates, different foods and different wines do not have an across-the-card marker. Am sure that Boiled Bacon accompanied by (a) Cabbage, (b) Asparagus, (c) Turnip or (d) Parsnip could have rather different effects on the different tummies.
    All I'm saying is ........ like beauty being in the eye of the beholder, choice is something that is very individualistic. Many moons ago, it was a fashion faux pas to mix blue with green ........... that has changed. And this was stuff that was pushed down the throats (pun not intended) of fashion students - by the cognoscendi - in those days.
    So my advise is, drink whatever wine takes your fancy. Convention is for, er, conventional people only. Prost!

Not denying the above ....... it's just that different people, different palates, different foods and different wines do not have an across-the-card marke.
    So my advise is, drink whatever wine takes your fancy. Convention is for, er, conventional people only. Prost!

People should drink what they like, an order what they like.

However if you are paying top dollar to eat out part of what you are paying for is the knowledge of the staff, and the more you are paying the more the staff should know about the food and drink they are serving and info about what's being served. I worked in a three star restaurant in rural France as a waiter and part of each service was a chat from the chef about where the meat was from, when/where fish was caught, and most importantly after being decided between the chef and the barman, we'd be told what wine to recommend, if asked to by a diner, to accompany which dish. That kind of tip of you tongue knowledge makes the difference in how you view a restaurant IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement