Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrying No Claims Bonus from current insurer

Options
  • 11-06-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

I recently received my renewal quote from FBD and wasn't happy, so I shopped around and got a much better quote from Aviva. I was with FBD for two years, and my prior insurer before that for 5 years, so I've 7 years No Claims, however FBD sent me out my NCB cert only showing what I've accumulated while insured with them, i.e. 2 years. Last year's renewal offer included a NCB cert for 1 year, but I was happy with the quote from last year.

Is this what is normally done, I mean that the NCB cert only includes years with current insurer? I had sent my certificate from my insurer prior to FBD to them when I took out that policy, so I no longer have it, or a copy of it.

I'm now wondering if Aviva are going to presume I only have two years NCB if I end up sending this certificate in and kick up a fuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

I had the same issue with them. I asked them do they have my old cert that I sent in on file under my name. They said yes, so i said i wanted a copy sent out to me. They said thats not their policy so i said its not your policy but you do have the previous cert under my name on file. They said yes so i said under the data protection act i am entitled to request any information that you have pertaining to me on file. She said please hold while i talk to my supervisor. 1 min later she came back and said we will scan that and send it out to you on e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Thanks for that - were you with FBD? I wonder is this standard practice across all insurance companies - can anybody else confirm?

• Company Representative Posts: 69 Verified rep QuoteDevil: Graham

Dun wrote: »
    Thanks for that - were you with FBD? I wonder is this standard practice across all insurance companies - can anybody else confirm?

No normally the bonus from most insurers will show the total earned and also the amount accumulated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Ya I was with FBD. Have being with a few companies and this is the only one that didn't give me my total number of years cover.

Cheers, I had a closer look and it has two figures:
    Number of Years Claims Free under the Policy: 2
    % Claims Discount Allowed: 50%
    followed by a table with the No Claims Discount Scale:
    1 Year: 20%
    2 Years: 30%
    3 Years: 40%
    4 Years: 45%
    5 Years: 50%

So it would be visible that it's at least 5 years from that, but if I've told the new company I have 7 years, I'm guessing they want to see 7 years somewhere :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

50% is max NCB, so five or 30 is all the same

True, but when I'm filling out the form for my quote, it doesn't have 5+, it goes up 0 to 8, then 9+. That's why I'm wondering if Allianz will accept the cert as provided by FBD. I'm hesitant on phoning up as from prior experience I could phone up three times and be given three different answers, so was wondering what others' experiences were.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

5+ would be in the 0-8 bracket, would it not? if you want to, tell Allianz to phone FBD to confirm the years.

Well, I contacted Allianz via their online form cause it was after their office hours (sales line closes at 6!!), and I provided them the FBD form, and they said they would accept it no problem, so happy days there.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Can't be arsed reading the thread just like you couldn't be arsed reading your bonus. It would have said:

"Number of claims free years on this policy: 2"

Then it would say something like:

Discount allowed: 50% (which would correspond to a scale of bonus below that)

or

Total Bonus 5 years

or

The policy holder is entitled to a 50% No Claims Bonus which represents x on our bonus scale

etc

Try reading beyond the first line

Edit: Ok, so I went back and read the thread and confirmed my suspicion, you read the first line and got all antsy without looking at the rest.

Also, what do you mean by (sales line closes at 6!!). Are people not allowed evenings off? And no I don't work for any of the above companies. And if you want 24hr call centres don't whinge when the cost of your insurance goes up to pay for it.

Christ above I swear a good 50% of this fine country's population are incapable of the most basic tasks like reading and signing forms. I can't even begin to estimate the amount of wasteful calls I get because someone gets a letter in plain english and instead of reading it ring me up saying "what's this letter for?". If some asked me to clarify it, no problem, but they get a letter read the first line or two then ring the company because reading the rest is too much like hard work.

• Advertisement

Wow, what an ignorant, useless and condescending post. You should really be ashamed of that one. I read and re-read all documentation I was sent, which would be obvious if you read the thread properly. The insurance company had sent me a document that stated 2 years / 50%, the other insurance company said it wanted confirmation of the 7 years that I said I had. I was simply asking if anybody had any experience of this before I went ringing up.

I don't want 24 hour call centres, but considering the other companies I contacted were open until about 8 - and I work in the same building as a large insurance company call centre that is open 8am - 8pm I was surprised that there was no overlap with when the majority of their customers will have left work and be able to call them.

I believe you might have had bad experiences dealing with your customers, but there's no need to go taking it out on me, especially given that your edited post states that I read the first line of my No Claims Discount form and "got antsy", when your post also states that you read the first line of my post and then went off on a rant before you understood what was going on. I can't remember the last time I encountered such a hypocritical post, contradicting the whole point of your rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Behave folks, and be civil. If you have a problem with a post, report it. Do not take it out on thread.

Advertisement