Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL speeds in Galway Fort Lorenzo area

• 11-06-2012 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of switching my broadband from UPC (Cable) to Vodafone (ADSL), because I'll be able to use my own modem/router.

I was wondering though if anyone has ADSL in my area (the Fort Lorenzo estate), because ADSL is very dependent on line distance to the phone exchange and I don't know of one nearby. So it's probably quite far away and thus the line speed might be low. There's no way of trying it out before signing the contract so I'm hoping one of you might have some experience with ADSL in this area.

I was hoping to get the 24 mbit package and Vodafone's site says this should be possible, but I was hoping to get some local responses to this in terms of real-world speeds I could expect. Normally 24 mbit only provides full speed on ADSL2+ within 1km of the exchange.

I know ADSL could also depend a bit on the provider but most of them are colocated at the Eircom exchanges so line speeds should be roughly the same. But if anyone has feedback about Vodafone ADSL in this area that would be perfect of course.

Note to mods: I'm posting this in Galway City, not in Broadband because I'm hoping to get some local responses, my question pertains to the performance of broadband in my local area and not to ADSL in general. So I'm hoping to reach more local people this way. I hope that's ok.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I'm not a Vodafone customer, so please feel free to take this with a pinch of snuff.
    I'm thinking of switching my broadband from UPC (Cable) to Vodafone (ADSL), because I'll be able to use my own modem/router.

Use it for what? The ones that UPC provide are generally quite good (was a customer in Dublin until recently). Is there some capability that's missing?
    I was wondering though if anyone has ADSL in my area (the Fort Lorenzo estate), because ADSL is very dependent on line distance to the phone exchange

IIRC the exchange you'd be connected to is the one on Shantalla Rd (at the back of St Mary's College) - assuming like you that they are co-located. It should be well within the normal ADSL distances to Fort Lorenzo.
    I was hoping to get the 24 mbit package and Vodafone's site says this should be possible

I recently was onto Eircom about the a line the other side of town. The Eircom website indicates we should be capable of 8mbps. The line check told us we are capable of 2-3mbps. I'd definitely verify your own line speed with Vodafone before doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

antoobrien wrote: »
    Use it for what? The ones that UPC provide are generally quite good (was a customer in Dublin until recently). Is there some capability that's missing?

It's for 2 reasons, I'll be brief because it's a bit off-topic in this forum. One reason is their router: I get many connection drops, and they often wipe all my settings from the router by remote. Anyway here's a whole thread full of problems ;) They refuse to give me one of their simple modems so I can use my own router. Too bad because their speeds are otherwise super.

The second reason is that I have a really good ADSL modem/router with built-in VPN server. Which would help a lot when I'm on the go.
    IIRC the exchange you'd be connected to is the one on Shantalla Rd (at the back of St Mary's College) - assuming like you that they are co-located. It should be well within the normal ADSL distances to Fort Lorenzo.

Ah thanks, I didn't know there was one there. That looks to be about 1200m. That's a lot closer than I thought.
    I recently was onto Eircom about the a line the other side of town. The Eircom website indicates we should be capable of 8mbps. The line check told us we are capable of 2-3mbps. I'd definitely verify your own line speed with Vodafone before doing anything.

Yeah there was a problem with checking the line, because we don't currently have any phone service at all. So there's no number associated with the line at present, from what they told me they'd have to activate it first. Which means signing a contract. That's why I'm trying to get some experiences from other users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That area will get VDSL within a year or so.

Advertisement