Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not-so-Red Velvet

Options
  • 11-06-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever dyed a red velvet cake anything other than red?
    I know dark colours would work like blue or purple, but would yellow and orange (seen as there's the darkness of the cocoa powder in it?)

I want to make a rainbow red velvet cake for Pride.

cheers, Emma :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

That sounds lovely.

I've never tried it myself but I find if you add the colouring to the buttermilk instead of the cocoa then you don't need as much. I'm gonna attempt to do this now as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I've had red velvet made with white chocolate powder, it was more pink than red though!! Maybe if you can locate some white chocolate powder and substitute for some of the cocoa, your colours will be more pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You could just make a madeira cake and colour it, or did you particularly want Red Velvet cake? Red velvet is basically just a buttermilk cake so if you got a madeira type recipe with buttermilk you could use that and dye it any colour you like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've made a green one for Paddy's Day. Pictures here. They weren't the most attractive things in the world, but the other colour worked fine. I'm not sure about lighter colours, but maybe if you used a paste, you could use more of it to get closer to the colour you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

My nieces & nephews have me driven demented for coloured birthday cakes - Nephew wanted a cake with blue icing, Godniece wanted a red vanilla cake with purple icing and Niece 2 wants a strawberry cake with rainbow icing...

I use gel paste colours to tint the cake mix - paler colours need more, darker colours need less (the purple icing was a lesson in less is more as it looked like a decomposing body before I adjusted it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Just google rainbow cake. They are pretty popular, we make them alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

check out this badboy IMG_9973.JPG

linky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Too pretty to eat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have a wedge of rainbow cake in the freezer that I kept just to look at from time to time :)

Advertisement