Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do letting agents negotiate rents?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking at moving back to my home town.
    On daft there are over 200 houses for rent in a midlands town.
    My question is, I see this as there been a very stagnant rental; market.
    Most decent houses are priced between 5 and 7 hundred quid a month. ( I am going to offer them €400)
    Will they negotiate lower rent, and go back to the owner with my offers? Or will they just say no as one house isn't worth too much to them, and keep the prices inflated until someone comes along and pays the ridiculously high rent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Letting agents only act on behalf of the landlord. It depends on the property; some places will let within a week and there is no point in trying to negotiate because they will get their asking price from the next person who views the place. However if the place has been up for rent for a while then its worth making an offer. How much youll get off the asking price is questionable; I have gotten €50 off the asking price of my last two places. Id say the absolute most you would get off would be €100, and at that Id say you would be very unlikely to get that much of a reduction. Depends on how much the landlord is losing by having the place empty. No harm in asking!

Advertisement