Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay for CV help?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys, Like most people, I send out about 100 Applications a week using irishjobs.ie, jobs.ie etc, mainly for jobs I don't even want and I still hear nothing back. I started using jobbuddy.ie .I still have not gotten a job but at least I was told my CV was read by the companies I applied for there.

I think my CV could be holding me back so I am now going to pay for CV help. I know some of the jobs sites run classes charging 55 euro. Can anyone recommend any for me? Or any other CV help guides etc

All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bringbackrafa

This post has been deleted.

Sorry, I'm sure I am not the only one that is so desperate for a full time job that I would be willing to work somewhere that would not interest me in a non recessionary time. For example, I hate talking on the phone, but I still have applied for jobs in call centres. Thats all I meant, A job you don't want is better than none at all which is why I am not being fussy with my applications. I can't afford to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

OP, firstly it is of great importance that you fully read the job spec through & ONLY apply to jobs for which you have the relevant experience - Employers are finding it highly frustrating at the moment when receiving irrelevant applications.

Secondly, Keep your CV short & sweet, 2 pages is more that enough, you will loose someones concentration after this time due to the volume of CV's received.

Also it is worth personalizing a cover note, make yourself stand out a bit & DO research on the company & include couple of bits on the company in the cover note.

Also make a list of 20 companies you would like to work for & apply direct.

Do you have a Linkedin Profile? If not suggest you sign up asap & get actively involved in contributing to relevant irish business discussion groups - Recruiters are using LinkedIn for a heck of a lot of headhunting this year.

Lastly make sure you have your CV Searchable on what ever Job Boards you are subscribed to - this will enable Recruiters/Employers to contact you directly if they have a role they think may suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Yeah part of the problem with blasting your CV out to random jobs is the employer can tell by your (I'm guessing) generic cover letter and CV that you're not too excited about the job.

Write a good cover letter for each job and make sure your CV reflects the job requirements. This will mean applying for 5 or 10 jobs each week rather than 100 jobs, but your chance of getting employed will be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cliona8969

how does one go about applying for a job? as in do you need to see the job advertised online or could you apply direct to a company without knowing if jobs are available. i would love to work for merril lynch, could i send my cv to them applying for any positions that may be available?

• Advertisement

Yeah part of the problem with blasting your CV out to random jobs is the employer can tell by your (I'm guessing) generic cover letter and CV that you're not too excited about the job.

Write a good cover letter for each job and make sure your CV reflects the job requirements. This will mean applying for 5 or 10 jobs each week rather than 100 jobs, but your chance of getting employed will be much higher.

Thanks for the advice I will try that,

marley123 wrote: »
    OP, firstly it is of great importance that you fully read the job spec through & ONLY apply to jobs for which you have the relevant experience - Employers are finding it highly frustrating at the moment when receiving irrelevant applications.

Secondly, Keep your CV short & sweet, 2 pages is more that enough, you will loose someones concentration after this time due to the volume of CV's received.

Also it is worth personalizing a cover note, make yourself stand out a bit & DO research on the company & include couple of bits on the company in the cover note.

Also make a list of 20 companies you would like to work for & apply direct.

Do you have a Linkedin Profile? If not suggest you sign up asap & get actively involved in contributing to relevant irish business discussion groups - Recruiters are using LinkedIn for a heck of a lot of headhunting this year.

Lastly make sure you have your CV Searchable on what ever Job Boards you are subscribed to - this will enable Recruiters/Employers to contact you directly if they have a role they think may suit.

great advice cheers

cliona8969 wrote: »
    how does one go about applying for a job? as in do you need to see the job advertised online or could you apply direct to a company without knowing if jobs are available. i would love to work for merril lynch, could i send my cv to them applying for any positions that may be available?

I just apply for jobs I see advertised. You should send in your CV if you would love to work there, you have nothing to lose

Advertisement