Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox Live Problem

Options
  • 11-06-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been having this problem where XBox Live disconnects every half an hour (nearly exactly). Is there anyway to stop it? I'm using Eircom Wireless Broadband, by the way.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been having this problem where XBox Live disconnects every half an hour (nearly exactly). Is there anyway to stop it? I'm using Eircom Wireless Broadband, by the way.

Cheers

2 things you can do, or at least try.

the first is turn your firewall off and open your nat ports to xbox live.

The second is if your eircom router is the black router with the one ariel (This one) then try getting your hands on one of the older ones:

router.gif
    They're cheap enough these days from those second hand shops that are everywhere and could maybe pick one up for about 15 quid.

I had that problem for ages and it all started when i upgraded and Eircom sent me out a new router. I reverted back to using my old one but have since heard that changing the settings i suggested in point one will fix the problem.

It was a severe pain in the ass and made online gaming practically impossible so i feel your pain. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It sounds like your using WPA security. WPA doesnt work well for gaming consoles. It tends to cause frequent disconnections at regular times.

Go to your router settings page and turn on WEP security instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Your router could also have that awful timeout setting, where it disconnects when it doesnt pick up traffic..... and the funny thing is that they see the xbox traffic as background noise. Make sure you set it as 0 or 99

Also, check the ports on the router to make sure they are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It sounds like your using WPA security. WPA doesnt work well for gaming consoles. It tends to cause frequent disconnections at regular times.

Go to your router settings page and turn on WEP security instead.

It's nothing to do with that at all. I have WPA2 security and use my 360 and PS3 all the time with zero connection drop outs. By brothers is the same with his setup at home. That's Magnet and UPC with WPA2 and rock solid wireless connections, the problem here is eircom's settings

It's to do with the eircom router settings. I'd turn off IP flood protection if you can and set the firewall to low. See if that helps.

It's nothing to do with that at all. I have WPA2 security and use my 360 and PS3 all the time with zero connection drop outs. By brothers is the same with his setup at home. That's Magnet and UPC with WPA2 and rock solid wireless connections, the problem here is eircom's settings

It's to do with the eircom router settings. I'd turn off IP flood protection if you can and set the firewall to low. See if that helps.

WPA2 is not WPA, if its set to WPA it will timeout every 20-30mins, I have worked on over 30 routers were people were getting disconnects from gaming consoles every 20-30mins. So if WPA is set, change your security settings to WPA2 (more secure) or WEP.

I agree lower the firewall. We havent heard back from the O.P yet, maybe they found the fix already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Switching the security makes a whole lot of sense because mine seemed to work when i turned my security off on the black router and the firewall and opened all the ports.

I didnt suggest that as an option to OP because i live in the country and cant even get a signal in the garden so not a whole lot of need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Darragh18

hi guys i have an eircom router and the security settings are set wpa-psk i was told if u change it to a static wep it willl stop disconnecting from xbox live is this true on zxyel router please let me no and i have also already change the timers to 9999 so it dnt disconnnect me so often only every 2 hour 45 mins

Darragh18 wrote: »
    hi guys i have an eircom router and the security settings are set wpa-psk i was told if u change it to a static wep it willl stop disconnecting from xbox live is this true on zxyel router please let me no and i have also already change the timers to 9999 so it dnt disconnnect me so often only every 2 hour 45 mins

Yes, it is true, change to wep on the router admin page and the disconnections will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DavidWills

Best thing is to just keep using your ethernet cable faster speeds etc..

Advertisement