Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish moving to US

Options
  • 11-06-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone!

I would really like your help, experience and opinions.

I (single Irish girl) recently went to San Francisco and I fell in love with the city. I know that it's the place that I want to live and make my home.

Now, its my responsibility to make that dream a reality. I have been asking lots of people what are the steps to take and so far I can make out that I need one of the following:
    • Win the Green Card Lottery
    • Get a Work Visa Sponsorship from a company
    • Get married to a US Citizen (not going to happen!)
    • Simply move there for the 3 months on a tourist visa, and use that as a base for interviews etc

Am I on the right track?

I work currently for a US Based company, and I will investigate the possibility of an internal transfer, maintaining my current role. Failing that, I will look for other opportunities within the current company that are based in the US. And failing that, I think that I will start to look at job openings in other companies, and maybe start to contact some agencies.

Can anybody give me some insight into what are my chances for making this happen? I know it's going to be extremely hard. But I feel so strongly that SF is where I am meant to be, I would hate to think it is impossible.

Any other help with regards to information about visas, etc, would be really appreciated.

Advertisement