Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you read the Terms and Conditions when downloading software?

• 11-06-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Yes I was watching the South Park episode HumancentiPad the other day and was wondering how many of you actually read the Terms and Conditions before hitting agree when installing a software on our computer?

I know I never bother reading those things. So what's the point of having a Terms and Conditions statements when no one bothers to read them? And what's the worst that could happen when you click agree without reading the TnC statement for a software?

Did you read the Terms and Conditions? 52 votes

Yes, I am a cautious and sensible person.
    0% 0 votes
    No, I have sold my soul to Apple.
    11% 6 votes
    Atari Jaguar, I Agree.
    88% 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

As if!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no one does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Do I fcuk!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Suas11 wrote: »
    Never
    Mr Magners wrote: »
    As if!!
    FatherLen wrote: »
    no one does.
    Insurgent wrote: »
    Do I fcuk!!

Can I put ye down for 4 "No's" :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Of course I do! Nothing like a reading a good oul Terms and conditions.

Gives me an unbelievable buzz. Something similar to cocaine

.....I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I remember when we got our 1st PC years ago my father made me read all the T&C for Wolf3D cause he didnt trust anything being installed :pac:

Since then though, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

More to the point, has anybody read them and then decided against using the software, based on what they read?

Yes, i usually print them off, get em laminated and file them under "bed time reading"

I read through the one for iTunes and decided against installing it because it said I wasn't allowed to use it in the production of nuclear weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I despise all apple products as the useless tat they are,

But no, i don't read the terms. Couldn't be bothered. The time it would take to read them and understand them thoroughly would far outweigh the enjoyment you'd get from using the software in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I didn't do it when I installed football manager, i now only possess one testicle:(

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I didn't do it when I installed football manager, i now only possess one testicle:(

You can download a patch for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No and I don't actually agree with them either although I might click that button to make it go out the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They carry about as much weight as a ghost's fart in a force ten gale, so no. I don't bother with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Wasn't there software for some game a few years back that included a term like 'they now own your soul' that they put in as a joke as no one ever reads t&c's? They wanted to see how long it would take before it was spotted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I read them for everything I download or apply for just so that I am fully awarLloyd all their get out clauses and what I am entitled to in the event something goes wrong with the software or whatever it is... Oh hang on I just made that up, sorry about that. No I don't read them because I can't actually read. I'm responding to this thread using voice recog software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

For better or worse.
    I do.

What sick baxtard thought up those T&Cs?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Yes and you should too.

I run a web hosting service and slipped in the privacy policy that we own our customers souls

Source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If I am paying for it, certainly so!
    Sometimes the free stuff too.
    Especially with the likes of Gmail for example.
    From their terms and conditions:
    Your Content in our Services

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

There you go!

Intellectual copyrighted pics or writing passing through gmail - be aware!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

^^^
    Just curious but did you still click "Agree" even after reading that.

I suspect the vast majority of people using Googles services aren't communicating anything with which Google are going to make a fortune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wasn't there software for some game a few years back that included a term like 'they now own your soul' that they put in as a joke as no one ever reads t&c's? They wanted to see how long it would take before it was spotted.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/15/online-shoppers-unknowingly-sold-souls/?test=latestnews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I'd say they would be much more concerned that I had downloaded the software for free than that I hadn't read the T&Cs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Nah, I can't afford to hire a lawyer to review this lengthy gobbledygook every time I use/install/update something.

ESPECIALLY RELATING TO THE AFOREMENTIONED SECTIONS WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS THAT SEEM TO GO ON FOREVER AND YET SAY ALMOST (OR NEARLY ALMOST, OR ANYTHING THAT COULD OTHERWISE BE INTERPRETED AS ALMOST) NOTHING WITH REGARD TO MATTERS APPLICABLE TO THE UNDERSTANDING OF THE LAY PERSON WHO MAY, OR MAY NOT, HAVE ALL DAY TO SIT READING UNINTELLIGIBLE LEGAL WAFFLE IN ORDER TO USE YOUR WONDERFUL FONT IN A BIRTHDAY CARD OR OTHER BIRTHDAY RELATED DOCUMENTS.

Advertisement