Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus Automatic Transmission

Options
  • 11-06-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Is there anyone with a Lexus IS250 who is having trouble with their automatic transmission gearbox. Mine is slipping and not engaging a) when the car is cold, and b) when going up hills.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Change the ATF and filter for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lexamus

Hi Anan1
    Yes I did that, changed the oil and filter and it's slightly worse if anything, At first I thought it was just that the AT fluid wasn't getting up to the torque converter, but now I think there must be a problem with the friction pads or shoes. I got it inspected by lexus before the guarantee ran out but they won't give me a copy of the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I have a GS300 with - I believe - the same gearbox and have no issues (100k miles). In fact, I don't recall ever hearing of any particular problems with the boxes. Presuming your service schedule is the same as mine, Lexus claim the transmission to have 'lifetime' fluid that should not be changed - however, I believe it good practice to change it every few years. Where did you get yours done - my local Lexus dealer does the procedure alright, not sure about all of them. I'd say your best bet is to head over to the American Clublexus.com - biggest source of Lexus technical info on the net IMO.

My local Lexus Dealer in Donegal did the initial AT oil change at 90,000 kms. When i got the car back from them, I immediately sent it back to them as there was a problem with the automatic transmission. They took it in and I could see them topping up the AT via a clear hose pipe which was held above the engine by the mechanic putting it in. I understand that this is incorrect, that it must be pumped in from below and allowed to come out through the overflow plug at the base of the sump when full. IF it is being topped up from above, one cannot see it flowing out into a dish / oil catcher below. I'm wondering could it have been over filled with AT oil. if so what damage would this do. Would it blow the valves seals in the AT system? Anyone with any ideas.
    PS I eventually got the report from Lexus who admitted it needed to be replaced, but also claimed it was out of warranty. Not so in my opinion, as the problems arose at 90k kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Your warranty is 3 years, when was the car registered

I would have thought before July 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I drove GS300's for about 15 years, and once I was not entirely satisfied with the service I recieved from my local Lexus dealer/service garage.
    That same evening when I got home, I sent off an e-mail to Lexus Ireland, outlining the problem that I had, the service I had recieved, and the conversation I had had with their service manager.

By 11am the following morning, I recieved a call from one of the heads in Lexus Ireland asking for more details.

Within the week, my car was collected and a 'loaner' left for me to use, my own car was then sorted to my satisfaction, and then returned to me; at no extra charge!

Lexus likes to pride itself on it's products and servicing, and usually fixes problems efficiently; but now and again some things do slip through the net.

If you feel you are being fobbed off by your Lexus service outlet, I would suggest you contact Lexus Ireland as I did.
    Stick to the details, and be polite and you should be looked after.

I bought the car new in January 2008.
    There appeared to be a problem with the AT from new. When I first got the car, I had to call the dealer because there was a worrying smell of burning coming from the gearbox through the gear stick console.
    In July 2010 I drew it to their attention that there was a problem with the AT, this was never resolved, it progressively deteriorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Lexamus wrote: »
    .... They took it in and I could see them topping up the AT via a clear hose pipe which was held above the engine by the mechanic putting it in. I understand that this is incorrect, that it must be pumped in from below and allowed to come out through the overflow plug at the base of the sump when full. IF it is being topped up from above, one cannot see it flowing out into a dish / oil catcher below. I'm wondering could it have been over filled with AT oil. if so what damage would this do. Would it blow the valves seals in the AT system? Anyone with any ideas.

I think you may be getting confused with manual/automatic gearboxes.

Its very common to top up the automatic fluid via the AT dip-stick pipe (its fluid that drives the car) and the correct level must be filled like engine oil, manual gearboxes can only be filled via the filling plug which overflows if too much added.
    Lexamus wrote: »
    I bought the car new in January 2008.
    There appeared to be a problem with the AT from new. When I first got the car, I had to call the dealer because there was a worrying smell of burning coming from the gearbox through the gear stick console.
    In July 2010 I drew it to their attention that there was a problem with the AT, this was never resolved, it progressively deteriorated.

If you have it documented that you have attempted to get it repaired with a Lexus dealer, send a letter to Lexus Ireland, failing that you still have a chance under the Sale of Goods Act as the fault was reported before the warranty expired

Advertisement