Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religion being forced on us by An Post

• 11-06-2012 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there's apparently new stamps being brought out because of that Catholic love-in in the RDS

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/News+and+Information/IEC+2012.htm
    6th June, 2012: An Post will issue two special stamps tomorrow (Thursday) to celebrate the 50th International Eucharistic Congress 2012 being held in Dublin from June 10th – 17th this year.
    The 55c stamp, which covers postage up to 50g within the island of Ireland, features the Chalice and Host, illustrating the importance of the Eucharist to the Roman Catholic faith. The central position of the Blessed Sacrament and Monstrance as the visible presence of God within the Roman Catholic faith is illustrated on an 82c stamp. This denomination covers airmail postage worldwide up to 50g.
    The two stamps were designed in vibrant shades of red and yellow by Martin Barlow, soon be ordained as Deacon. Speaking about the stamps he said: “As a professional designer any design which we create is for a reason and a season. With both hands firmly placed on my heart, I am now proud to say that both my design of the Congress brand and the An Post stamps are my everlasting mark, a physical representation of my faith for future generations to come.”
    “To be commissioned by An Post was a dream come true. Stamp design is something every professional designer can only dream of and in my case my dream had come true. Here was my chance to show in a pictorial form what the Eucharist and Church meant to me,” he added.
    A collector’s First Day Cover envelope may be viewed and purchased from June 7th together with the stamps, at the GPO Stamp Shop, online at www.irishstamps.ie and by telephone at (01) 705 7400. A posting facility will be available at the Main Congress Stand at the RDS (Main Hall – Hall 1), where a special souvenir Congress Postcard will be on sale for posting by pilgrims to their loved ones around the world using the special Congress postage stamps.

so now if I want to send a letter, I'm going to have it look like I'm a Catholic.
    one step too far imo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Badly needs to be stamped out tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I used one with a plane on it. Doesn't make me a pilot. Cop on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It's a huge international event. Why shouldn't they commission a stamp for the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

so now if I want to send a letter, I'm going to have it look like I'm a Catholic. one step too far imo.

Are you planning on deliberately seeking them out to buy them? Where does it indicate An Post are replacing all stamps with these newly commissioned commemorative editions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

not another fucking religion thread...

and i haven't sent a letter in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Taigmail? Papist Post?

NEVER!!! NEVER!!! NEVER!!

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Don't worry next month they have a stamp with charles darwin punching a priest:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I cannot believe they are using stamps to fore people to convert to Catholicism.

This is an outrage, thousands will see these stamps and almost be brainwashed to go to mass!

Organise a boycott now, no more post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I never even look at the stamps tbh.
    I just look to see the price to make sure I've the right ones, and that's it.
    The image doesn't register with me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

An Post bring out numerous stamps each year, do you think the same each time a new one comes out? Paranoia.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

If you want to send a letter you'll have to lick our catholic stamps. That was the plan all along.

I remember how upset I was sending letters in 2002 that made me look like I loved U2 http://www.rte.ie/ten/2001/1212/stamps.html

Literally the greatest injustice in the history of the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

These Atheist whinges are starting to piss me off so much, I might have to start going to Mass again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

CJC999 wrote: »
    An Post bring out numerous stamps each year, do you think the same each time a new one comes out? Paranoia.com

Last year they forced us all to become interested in flowers! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Some people look for things to be offended by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Something like 80% of people are listed in the census as Roman Catholic.
    I don't really think they are out of order doing this, whether some of us want it or not.

No skin off my nose, won't affect me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

In all fairness, how many people these days send letters?
    And most company frank the letters without paper stamps anyway. So my guess is, the only people who will ever get to see these stamps are priests buying them as collectors items.

I cannot believe they are using stamps to fore people to convert to Catholicism. This is an outrage, thousands will see these stamps and almost be brainwashed to go to mass!.

I've been addicted to birdwatching since that bird range back in the 90's... it's terrible Joe! Ornithology being forced on the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

so now if I want to send a letter, I'm going to have it look like I'm a Catholic.

When are you ever gonna send a letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm not sure commemorative stamps can possibly count as "religion being forced upon us"...

A) you aren't forced to buy them
    B) it's a picture on a stamp - they don't come with automatic baptism

There are always going to be commemorative stamps brought out regarding famous people, events and anniversaries - I'm not sure why religion should be banned from those... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'm sure the holy founder of atheism, Charles Darwin, will express his discontent through his prophet, Richard Dawkins.

• Advertisement

If you want to send a letter you'll have to lick our catholic stamps. That was the plan all along!

Stamps have been dipped in Communion wafer/Jesus. They get a taste for it then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I really think that some people, look for things to be offended by. FFS, there some extra optional stamps that you can buy. I am sure you can choose to buy other types of stamps if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Just write "Atheism FTW" under the stamp to cancel out the Religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What a very silly thing to complain about.

Do people even still use stamps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So long as they also bring out stamps commemorating Ramadan then it's no problem. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,356 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Put the stamp on upside-down.

Problem solved. Next first-world problem please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you want to send a letter you'll have to lick our catholic stamps. That was the plan all along.

They're printed on Communion wafers, it's all part of an elaborate plan to best our record for most communions in a week (previously sit during the visit of JP2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Atheists shouldn't be too concerned with this, just enjoy the fact that no one gives a toss about the Eucharistic Congress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Just write "Atheism FTW" under the stamp to cancel out the Religion.

Or put the stamp on upside down or summit?

It's a sloooow afternoon........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Skid wrote: »
    These Atheist whinges are starting to piss me off so much, I might have to start going to Mass again.
    Why do people in religion-bashing threads always assume that the OP is atheist? You must think there is only catholicism and atheism right? :rolleyes:

OP, go buy a bunch of stamps now, incase you catch teh religion and stop being a heathen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Gbear wrote: »
    So long as they also bring out stamps commemorating Ramadan then it's no problem. :pac:

It'd almost be worth it for the **** storm alone :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Skid wrote: »

I might just join you

To put it in context, An Post released four commemorative stamps for the Titanic centenary.

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

there's apparently new stamps being brought out because of that Catholic love-in in the RDS

one step too far imo.

pretty sure you can't catch Catholicism by using a stamp :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I'm outraged that lettuce is being forced upon me by Kelkin.

Yes! They've a picture of one of their gluten free rice cakes with chicken and lettuce on it on the front of the packaging.

I'm sending a strongly worded letter to Kelkin highlighting my outrage. I just hope the person opening it is of another religion (other than RC) so they can be equally offended by my stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

First bills now this, what's next, paper advertising cheap pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Damn straight OP, this is right up there with the Crusades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

prinz wrote: »
    To put it in context, An Post released four commemorative stamps for the Titanic centenary.

Yeah and look what happened there - out-rage that people couldn't send letters lest people think them Leonardo DiCaprio fans! :mad:

If i get my post at home within 2 weeks of being sent from the UK, it's an act of God, so maybe they're onto something.

Still trying to kick the golf habit after they had a Solheim Cup stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I want one where i get to lick the virgin mary:eek:

I want one where i get to lick the virgin mary:eek:

You might get lucky at Christmas. Still tates like stale glue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh wow, they've Dracula stamps. Where's my credit card? I'm guessing you have to specifically request the Catholic stamps from the website, not like you end up with them every time you buy stamps in the shop? If so, that's perfectly fine with me despite me being an atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

just buy a regular stamp :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What a very silly thing to complain about.

Do people even still use stamps?

Not me. I write the recipient address in the return address corner and send it without a stamp. Although if someone else has been nice enough to send me a letter with a stamp on it, a bit of steam and pritt-stick works wonders for reusing the stamp.

Anyone else miss the days when you could buy a packet of 10 Travel 90s then claim the tickets were defective and send it back for a new set when you were down to your last 2 or 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

one step too far imo.

If you're that pissed off, you should find out who was responsible and go and stick one on 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

People still send letters????:eek: WTF is this 1950?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Last registered letter I got a district court summons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm gonna get me some of these holy rolling stamps, stick em on a letter with a false address so when it gets lost I can ring an pope/ an post and go WHERES UR GOD NOW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The OP has taken a right licking on this thread. He mightn't be posting here for a while. Real nasty atmosphere around here philately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement